The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;4619377 said:
If it were simply left up to the NCAA and or Networks and Conference, I would agree. However, I am hearing that Congress is looking into this and asking the question, should this be the Death Penalty? This is why I asked that question. If they get involved, forget about it.
The government!:bang2:​

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jimmy40;4619388 said:
the only way this could happen would be if PSU did it to themselves. imo

I honestly have no clue how that might work. I just heard this earlier in the day and figured I would post it and see what the feeling of the board might be.

Jimmy, this is about as bad as it gets in the world of sports. I just feel bad for everybody. It's a sad day for everyone.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
It would be unfair to current student athletes and coaches, but a couple year hiatus from football would help expedite a culture change imo. I don't see it happening though.

jimmy40

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4619391 said:
I honestly have no clue how that might work. I just heard this earlier in the day and figured I would post it and see what the feeling of the board might be.

Jimmy, this is about as bad as it gets in the world of sports. I just feel bad for everybody. It's a sad day for everyone.
I agree and personally I think JoePa is a scumbag that cared more about the all time wins record than little boys getting raped and I wish he were alive to face the music but as far as someone killing the PSU football program for a year or two there's just no way I can see it happening. Way to much PSU money in the pockets of their state politicians to do anything and the US congress shouldn't be getting involved with the PSU football program so the only way I see it happening is if PSU did it to themselves and I doubt anyone in power has the balls to even try.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

jimmy40

Reaction score
Joe Realist;4619393 said:
It would be unfair to current student athletes and coaches, but a couple year hiatus from football would help expedite a culture change imo. I don't see it happening though.
it's never fair to current athletes when a program gets put on probation but that doesn't stop the NCAA from doing it.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ts-say-joe-paterno-faced-charges-freeh-report

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- If he were alive today, Joe Paterno -- the coach who stood for so long for character and integrity both on and off the football field -- could be looking at charges such as child endangerment, perjury and conspiracy.

Legal experts said emails and other evidence in the Penn State investigative report released Thursday suggest Paterno may have misled a grand jury when asked when he first heard about Jerry Sandusky's misconduct, and show that Paterno and other university officials put boys in danger with their failure to report sexual-abuse allegations leveled against Sandusky more than a decade ago.

Duquesne law professor Wes Oliver said the report by former FBI director Louis Freeh reads like a prosecution case for a child endangerment charge against Paterno, then-president Graham Spanier, athletic director Tim Curley and now-retired vice president Gary Schultz. Oliver noted that a former top official in the Philadelphia Archdiocese was convicted of that very charge in June for allowing a suspected pedophile priest to be around children.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Personally I don't care if PSU gets death penalty or not, doesn't matter one way or another.

However, PSU do have some problems...

Sandusky was a big part of PSU football program

Rapes/molestations occurred in PSU football facility

Rapes/molestations occurred in same building as Paterno's office

Paterno along with AD, VP and Pres to some degree aware of what Sandusky was doing

With that, I do think NCAA has legitimate reasons to punish PSU football program

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the right move is about the football program. I lean towards punishing the people responsible. I think when you start punishing everything as a whole, a lot of innocent bystanders will unfairly get hurt by something they had nothing to do with. You may have football players whom need to play at Penn State for various reasons. It may be the only D-1 school that will offer them a scholarship and it may be close to home and they may be in a situation where they need to be close to home to take care of sick family members, etc.

I think what it says is that the NCAA probably should have never given the death penalty to SMU. It sets a precedent that the NCAA can't escape from and it makes the NCAA look like out-of-touch hypocrites if they can give the death penalty to a school that pays kids money to go to school and play football, but won't give it to a school involved in a massive child molestation and coverup scandal.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4619312 said:
This is just one article after the Freeh report, .. what will it take for some to open their eyes. This is not just made-up stuff. This is real. This happened. The guy was not what you thought he was.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

You mean he's not the "God" that the media built him up to be? He's a man, with flaws, and faults?

Wow.. shocking. :eek:

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4619623 said:
I'm not sure what the right move is about the football program. I lean towards punishing the people responsible. I think when you start punishing everything as a whole, a lot of innocent bystanders will unfairly get hurt by something they had nothing to do with. You may have football players whom need to play at Penn State for various reasons. It may be the only D-1 school that will offer them a scholarship and it may be close to home and they may be in a situation where they need to be close to home to take care of sick family members, etc.
I agree, but every time a college football program receive sanctions, there are many innocent bystanders who are unfairly punished. The majority of USC football players didn't deserve to be banned from Bowl games, as with other programs, but at the same time, colleges cannot be allowed to run amok just because of innocent players will be hurt by NCAA sactions.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4619639 said:
You mean he's not the "God" that the media built him up to be? He's a man, with flaws, and faults?

Wow.. shocking. :eek:

Flaws and faults?

Not sure I consider turning a blind eye on a pedophile to be a "flaw" or "fault".

A total lack of judgement, character and a moral compass is more like it.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4619683 said:
Flaws and faults?

Not sure I consider turning a blind eye on a pedophile to be a "flaw" or "fault".

A total lack of judgement, character and a moral compass is more like it.

Im saying he's human.. he sins. Just like the rest of us. The media built him up to be above us all, a "God" like figure, and then they jump just as quickly to tear him down.

It draws in readers.. people eat it up. He made a terrible mistake. Everyone knows it, he knew it. Thoughts should be focused on the victims now, with prayers and hope for them.

As for the "death penalty" to the football program.. that'd be just silly.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
silverbear;4618724 said:
Your soul must be hurting you, ol' buddy... I feel bad for you...

My family is PSU back 4 generations. This situation has been more difficult then anyone could imagine.

I was basically raised on the campus as was my father and my grandfather.

The sadness I feel at times can only be compared to losing a loved one. It's that deep and lonely.

burmafrd

Reaction score
onlly way Cajun and Roy would finally admit reality was if JoePa came back and admitted it to their faces.

Rogah

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4619623 said:
Anytime you punish an football program, it's going to "unfairly" impact innocent athletes. If they're talented enough, they'll get scholarships elsewhere. If they're not talented enough, well... the NCAA shouldn't make a decision based on how it may impact the 2nd and 3rd stringers.

IMHO, the NCAA has to drop the hammer here because it scares other schools from having football programs engaging in a conspiracy to cover up illegal activities of any sort. I'm not saying there are other Jerry Sandusky's out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if some football program somewhere was convering up some other type of illegal activity.

Rogah

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4619737 said:
Im saying he's human.. he sins. Just like the rest of us.
No, he does not sin "just like the rest of us." I have plenty of my own faults and failings, but nothing even remotely as bad as this. What he did is far worse and far more egregious than anything I have ever done in my life.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Rogah;4619828 said:
Anytime you punish an football program, it's going to "unfairly" impact innocent athletes. If they're talented enough, they'll get scholarships elsewhere. If they're not talented enough, well... the NCAA shouldn't make a decision based on how it may impact that 2nd and 3rd stringers.

IMHO, the NCAA has to drop the hammer here because it scares other schools from having football programs engaging in a conspiracy to cover up illegal activities of any sort. I'm not saying there are other Jerry Sandusky's out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if some football program somewhere was convering up some other type of illegal activity.
Have to agree.

jimmy40

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4619737 said:
Im saying he's human.. he sins. Just like the rest of us. The media built him up to be above us all, a "God" like figure, and then they jump just as quickly to tear him down.

It draws in readers.. people eat it up. He made a terrible mistake. Everyone knows it, he knew it. Thoughts should be focused on the victims now, with prayers and hope for them.

As for the "death penalty" to the football program.. that'd be just silly.
yeah, no reason to punish the football program that protected a child rapist so they could further their decade of mediocre football.

Kingsmith88

Benched
Reaction score
Rogah;4619828 said:
Anytime you punish an football program, it's going to "unfairly" impact innocent athletes. If they're talented enough, they'll get scholarships elsewhere. If they're not talented enough, well... the NCAA shouldn't make a decision based on how it may impact the 2nd and 3rd stringers.

IMHO, the NCAA has to drop the hammer here because it scares other schools from having football programs engaging in a conspiracy to cover up illegal activities of any sort. I'm not saying there are other Jerry Sandusky's out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if some football program somewhere was covering up some other type of illegal activity.
I don't think they can make a case for a rule Violation. Institutional control relates to how what has happened affects the athletic department and in turn gives an unfair advantage to that particular program. I read an article where a guy tried to make the case. It just doesn't work. (IMO)

The NCAA punishing PSU athletics for this would be akin to the NCAA punishing Florida State if one of their professors was raping students (bit extreme) and the covered it up. In fact it would be even more of a stretch because the bulk of Sundusky's crimes happened (at least those I have seen reported) after he no longer had an official status with the University (just an honorary one)

Personally I think there should be more PA goverment oversight for the University for some time. I would have no issue either if the state impossed sanctions on the athletic department. I don't think this is an NCAA issue. It is a PA and more specifically a PSU/State College issue.