The Video Game Thread

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Got a PS5 about a month ago. Wasn't really looking for one. Was just walking around Nebraska Furniture Mart one day and there was a small sign on a display that said they had them in stock. Asked a salesman and figured, why not. Got it purchased, then notices the sign was gone about 10 min. later.

Haven't really played anything taking advantage of it. Borrowed Control from the library. Still looks like a PS4 game, and not a graphically impressive one. Only an hour in and not sure how I feel about it. Story isn't drawing me in at all at tbis point. Gameplay is okay.

Going to finally start Metroid Dread this weekend. Got it for Christmas and it's still in the wrapper. 2D Metroid is a top 2 or 3 series for me.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Welp I'm getting Madden once again I suppose. A yearly thing but I can't help myself. I'm trying to get a Madden Code for my PS5 but will probably just end up wasting my money on the Deluxe Series X version. Oh well...Cowboys football is my drug and I need every version of it lol.

John813

Reaction score
Welp I'm getting Madden once again I suppose. A yearly thing but I can't help myself. I'm trying to get a Madden Code for my PS5 but will probably just end up wasting my money on the Deluxe Series X version. Oh well...Cowboys football is my drug and I need every version of it lol.

I cracked too lol.

Too fun getting the roster set up and at least Dallas wins the superbowl in Madden lol

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I am absolutely addicted to Hell Let Loose which is one of the best games i have ever played. It's available on PC, Xbox and PlayStation.

I started on PC but purchased an Xbox X and now play it on there. Man it's fun. It's like a combination of a shooter/RTS/collaborative gameplay game with the best graphics for this type of genre i've seen yet.

disclaimer: i have no connection to this game in any manner other than as a player :)

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I am absolutely addicted to Hell Let Loose which is one of the best games i have ever played. It's available on PC, Xbox and PlayStation.

I started on PC but purchased an Xbox X and now play it on there. Man it's fun. It's like a combination of a shooter/RTS/collaborative gameplay game with the best graphics for this type of genre i've seen yet.

disclaimer: i have no connection to this game in any manner other than as a player :)

Bought it on PC about 3 years ago, haven't played since last year. Need to reinstall and see what's new.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Bought it on PC about 3 years ago, haven't played since last year. Need to reinstall and see what's new.

Lot of updates since then Johnny. New maps, and night maps added for all previous maps, many UI and weapon balances, flare guns, new tanks etc..

By the end of the year they are adding the British and new maps for them.

Night maps are amazing.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Got a PS5 about a month ago. Wasn't really looking for one. Was just walking around Nebraska Furniture Mart one day and there was a small sign on a display that said they had them in stock. Asked a salesman and figured, why not. Got it purchased, then notices the sign was gone about 10 min. later.

Haven't really played anything taking advantage of it. Borrowed Control from the library. Still looks like a PS4 game, and not a graphically impressive one. Only an hour in and not sure how I feel about it. Story isn't drawing me in at all at tbis point. Gameplay is okay.

Going to finally start Metroid Dread this weekend. Got it for Christmas and it's still in the wrapper. 2D Metroid is a top 2 or 3 series for me.
I tried Control after hearing some good reviews about it, and I feel the same as you, it just didn't pull me in. Definitely an interesting game, but not one I felt I needed to go back to. May I suggest Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for the PS5? Super fun game that not only supports the haptic feedback controls, but it looks really sharp.

Another awesome one is Horizon Forbidden West. Excellent story, amazing map, great graphics, and just all around fantastic gameplay.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I tried Control after hearing some good reviews about it, and I feel the same as you, it just didn't pull me in. Definitely an interesting game, but not one I felt I needed to go back to. May I suggest Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for the PS5? Super fun game that not only supports the haptic feedback controls, but it looks really sharp.

Another awesome one is Horizon Forbidden West. Excellent story, amazing map, great graphics, and just all around fantastic gameplay.
Yeah, Horizon is on my list. I enjoyed the first one well enough. It is more popular, so there's currently a waiting list at the library. I'll get to it.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Lot of updates since then Johnny. New maps, and night maps added for all previous maps, many UI and weapon balances, flare guns, new tanks etc..

By the end of the year they are adding the British and new maps for them.

Night maps are amazing.

The Brits? Nice, wonder what kind of armor they will have for them.
Will reinstall Sunday when i get more time.

John813

Reaction score
Finally played a franchise game in Madden. Usually play All-Madden with simulation, 12 min quarters.

Only one game, so take it with some salt:

Key Differences:
Pressure mattered way more this year for both user and CPU. Weak link on the line was Steele vs Barrett and he wrecked havoc on the passing downs. Had to switch to 3 step passes. Vice versa Parsons was a wrecking machine vs their LT.
Put Parsons at RDE and blitzed a lot. Got beat twice for 30+ yard TDs to Evans and Godwin but on the flipside I had 6 sacks, and 3 INTs. Brady made 2 bad passes where the my CPU actually made a play and the 3rd was I recognized the RB screen and it went for a pick 6.
Seems to have better pass rush animations. The way the edge defenders got by the tackles seems more realistic. No more 5+ seconds in the pocket if I blitzed. Blitzers ran less vs a cpu already blocking someone.
When there was someone in Brady's face the pass wasn't perfect.
Seems to have better run blocking animations/setups. Patience when waiting for blockers paid off unless it was obvious the hole was wide open.
Better momentum swings and neither team can go god mode once they get hot. You can still reverse it with a good stand.
The passing mechanism is interesting and a nice change in precision. Not sure if I'll stick with it.
Coverages seem slightly revised. Your CPU can still be blind at times but it seemed more polished overall at least for this game.

Similarities:
CPU still reacted the same vs the read option in that they seemed to always expect Prescott to run it, leaving a 1-2 second pause in pursuit of Zeke. I admit I cheesed a bit on that when I was down in the game lol.
Same pre game/inbetween snaps/postgame animations.
Commentary sans talking about games in 2021 seemed the same. At least this game I didn't hear any corny jokes.

One score game with a pick to seal it for me. Hopefully, the cpu sort of adjusts so 1 month into the game they don't turn out to be 20 point blowouts.

Lutonio

Reaction score

Give Returnal a shot. It is one of the best PS5 games right now. It’s also free if you have PS+.

John813

Reaction score
The difference in elite edge talent is apparent. Playing with miami and dallas and the difference between Parsons and Phillips is something. Parsons is a wrecking ball.

I can cheat more with Byron and X Howard as my corners tho.

OLINE play is really important.

One thing I've noticed in 4 games is the cpu can be over powered in making some outrageous reads for ints. Like eyes back of head and linebackers with WR hands.
I even put the cpu int slider to 0 to experiment and they still made some crazy ints

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Brady is destroying me both online and my numerous franchise plays. Even Burrow to Chase is ridiculous Just blitz blitz blitz and you'll get to them...eventually. Defense of course in Madden is always f***ed.

If you can master the new passing mechanisms precisely, then there is an advantage there, but most of us just use the some old techniques lol

John813

Reaction score
Brady is destroying me both online and my numerous franchise plays. Even Burrow to Chase is ridiculous Just blitz blitz blitz and you'll get to them...eventually. Defense of course in Madden is always f***ed.

If you can master the new passing mechanisms precisely, then there is an advantage there, but most of us just use the some old techniques lol

Yea Burrow was feast or famine vs me with Chase.
Can't sit back and yet him have time to get off the deep ball.

Finally against the giants i had my first blowout.

I use a lot of cover 3 but have some success in man coverage with safety in deep zone vs Chase.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone is interested but there is a glitch on Best Buy if you are buying an Xbox series s.

The original deal is you get any digital game for free. However, if you back out of certain games you selected, you can select a 2nd game for free as well.

An example is you can get Madden 23 and NBA 2k23 Jordan edition for free. It is a great deal for those who wants a next gen console or expensive digital games in your account.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Why every year is this trash allowed to make money. It is criminal. The gameplay sucks, the graphics suck, the commentary sucks, it just completely sucks year after year and never changes.