The Walking Dead-Season 8, episodes 9-16

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Even though it played out about as one would expect, I thought it was a good episode.

Wish the Rick, Negan fight was a bit better after the build up.

Hopefully Morgan heading out means he won't be back next season, growing tired of his character.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
overall it was what you'd expect, as dooms says. we knew rick wasn't going to die so how many options does it really leave? all this time though negan showed more interest in what carl wrote than rick but in the end, they flopped it pretty quick. kinda odd but hey, that's the dead these days.

we finally see why rick collapsed at the tree with bloody hands. yay. i still hate those month long plus "cliffhangers". i had forgotten about it til he walked by after cutting negans neck and i was then like "oh yea...that". i just don't think it adds more than it takes away to do this.

i swear they're running daryls voice through whatever they did batmans in the dark knight series. guys, you only give him 3-4 words a show anymore so please don't make him sound like he's constipated *and* angry. and in the end when he "banished" dwight - i don't get it. redemption and all with a comeuppance, but dwight, while used like a $2 hooker at a shriners convention, did his best to help hilltop, daryl and everyone. the banning was pointless and really made daryl look like a penile projection.

there goes maggie. screaming like banshee and insisting negan must die and all is lost without. to be expected but she's not shown more than 1/2 an ounce of emotion all year and is only marginally ahead of daryl when it comes to lines anymore and now she's angrier than rick ever was with her, jesus and bat-daryl now plotting to bide their time and jump rick later. totally a stupid direction for the show to take and hopefully jesus is there to be his normal "calm down and work together" self. and hey, he had less lines than daryl this season. if they start paying these guys by the word they're gonna quit the show.

the only real foreshadowing was the helicopter that flew over bundled up negan and the trash can girl. that and the lady that trades albums for food. that and the lesbian chic is already hitting on a savior. she needs the boot as her character is just annoying.

who the hell was tossing the molotov cocktails? was that the group of women from the beach or a new group that skinnyboy on a suicide walkabout found? they came and went w/o fanfare.

and i really don't think that many guns are going to explode AND kill the people holding them. a few maybe, the rest just now in the dwight fan club and ready to get some revenge, but hey, as BP would say, it's the dead and sometimes you just go with it and i'll slide that to this section.

as for fear the walking dead, strange start. but i guess they want to do something with established characters that doesn't stay with the comic lines perhaps but not sure why they insist on having someone talk funny as a prerequisite to a series.

not sold on the direction right now so the helicopters and album lady needs to be pretty compelling or watching the group implode will hurt me mentally. :)

TheGoat73

Reaction score
overall it was what you'd expect, as dooms says. we knew rick wasn't going to die so how many options does it really leave? all this time though negan showed more interest in what carl wrote than rick but in the end, they flopped it pretty quick. kinda odd but hey, that's the dead these days.

we finally see why rick collapsed at the tree with bloody hands. yay. i still hate those month long plus "cliffhangers". i had forgotten about it til he walked by after cutting negans neck and i was then like "oh yea...that". i just don't think it adds more than it takes away to do this.

i swear they're running daryls voice through whatever they did batmans in the dark knight series. guys, you only give him 3-4 words a show anymore so please don't make him sound like he's constipated *and* angry. and in the end when he "banished" dwight - i don't get it. redemption and all with a comeuppance, but dwight, while used like a $2 hooker at a shriners convention, did his best to help hilltop, daryl and everyone. the banning was pointless and really made daryl look like a penile projection.

there goes maggie. screaming like banshee and insisting negan must die and all is lost without. to be expected but she's not shown more than 1/2 an ounce of emotion all year and is only marginally ahead of daryl when it comes to lines anymore and now she's angrier than rick ever was with her, jesus and bat-daryl now plotting to bide their time and jump rick later. totally a stupid direction for the show to take and hopefully jesus is there to be his normal "calm down and work together" self. and hey, he had less lines than daryl this season. if they start paying these guys by the word they're gonna quit the show.

the only real foreshadowing was the helicopter that flew over bundled up negan and the trash can girl. that and the lady that trades albums for food. that and the lesbian chic is already hitting on a savior. she needs the boot as her character is just annoying.

who the hell was tossing the molotov cocktails? was that the group of women from the beach or a new group that skinnyboy on a suicide walkabout found? they came and went w/o fanfare.

and i really don't think that many guns are going to explode AND kill the people holding them. a few maybe, the rest just now in the dwight fan club and ready to get some revenge, but hey, as BP would say, it's the dead and sometimes you just go with it and i'll slide that to this section.

as for fear the walking dead, strange start. but i guess they want to do something with established characters that doesn't stay with the comic lines perhaps but not sure why they insist on having someone talk funny as a prerequisite to a series.

not sold on the direction right now so the helicopters and album lady needs to be pretty compelling or watching the group implode will hurt me mentally. :)

A friend who has read the comics tipped me off that Negan would end up in some kind of cell. He said Negan is too good a villain to kill off. I really wanted to see Maggie get him with Lucille.

Next season looks to be everyone vs the walker herd, who is in the helicopter and why does Mrs. Doubtfire like records so much. I don’t want to see any Maggie and Daryl vs Rick drama. That would be a disappointment. There are still a lot of other people who could be used to add the “I gotta kill Rick drama.”

I still like Morgan. He represents the pacifist in a conflict dilemma. He’s got the PTSD thing in full effect. And if we are lining up analogs from role playing games, he’s the monk which is cool.

I wish there had been time to explain what Jesus had been up to. Won’t surprise me if that is a flashback scene in the first couple of episodes next season.

The big question is which cherished characters die next season?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
A friend who has read the comics tipped me off that Negan would end up in some kind of cell. He said Negan is too good a villain to kill off. I really wanted to see Maggie get him with Lucille.

Next season looks to be everyone vs the walker herd, who is in the helicopter and why does Mrs. Doubtfire like records so much. I don’t want to see any Maggie and Daryl vs Rick drama. That would be a disappointment. There are still a lot of other people who could be used to add the “I gotta kill Rick drama.”

I still like Morgan. He represents the pacifist in a conflict dilemma. He’s got the PTSD thing in full effect. And if we are lining up analogs from role playing games, he’s the monk which is cool.

I wish there had been time to explain what Jesus had been up to. Won’t surprise me if that is a flashback scene in the first couple of episodes next season.

The big question is which cherished characters die next season?
we can make a list of those who need to go and that would be about 1/2 of them.

we've lost sight of maggie, daryl and the core group, with the exception of perm-a-mullet. we've lost sight of a lot of things and like you, it seems, i don't want to see them infighting, but i do agree negan is too good to kill off.

keep:
rick
michonne
daryl
maggie
negan
jesus
carol
the king
garbage pail chic - she's finally kinda interesting when she's not looking like a road warrior reject searching for water.
the new dude who led the saviors on hilltop and likes to make things.

but they should all group up into 1 community. hell how many people were even left in the kingdom?

the rest can just go. defrag all groups into 1 uber-community and let's roll.

as for negan - yep. remember when rick and morgan were building the jail cell? this direction was chosen LONG ago and that was the foreshadow.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
we can make a list of those who need to go and that would be about 1/2 of them.

we've lost sight of maggie, daryl and the core group, with the exception of perm-a-mullet. we've lost sight of a lot of things and like you, it seems, i don't want to see them infighting, but i do agree negan is too good to kill off.

keep:
rick
michonne
daryl
maggie
negan
jesus
carol
the king
garbage pail chic - she's finally kinda interesting when she's not looking like a road warrior reject searching for water.
the new dude who led the saviors on hilltop and likes to make things.

but they should all group up into 1 community. hell how many people were even left in the kingdom?

the rest can just go. defrag all groups into 1 uber-community and let's roll.

as for negan - yep. remember when rick and morgan were building the jail cell? this direction was chosen LONG ago and that was the foreshadow.

I feel like at least one from your keep list gets it. I agree that Bob the Builder has to stay. Too much invested in him. Also, the young granddaughter leader of the oceanfront group.

Also, no way we’ve seen the last of Dwight.

If Jadis was merely in charge of an outpost...

Seems they all have to live in one place with that herd. They had better get to work.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I feel like at least one from your keep list gets it. I agree that Bob the Builder has to stay. Too much invested in him. Also, the young granddaughter leader of the oceanfront group.

Also, no way we’ve seen the last of Dwight.

If Jadis was merely in charge of an outpost...

Seems they all have to live in one place with that herd. They had better get to work.
just amazed that the herd was within sight yet after all that gunfire we have time to sit around and bull****.hell maggies scream alone would have brought them over.

they can take the new carl at any point. we simply don't need another young annoying kid running around being nothing more than annoying.

many of the sideshows will always have their group and come and go as needed. drop off some molotov cocktails and run type stuff always comes in handy.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The whole Negan thing kind of irks me.
It reminds me of the old bond type movies where the bad guy thinks he has bond dead so he tells him his whole evil plan and then bond lives and then stops him...Well this in reverse. After all of the stuff and you let Negan live and tell him your plan of keeping him in a cell to rot....no...nah...nope that is not going to bite him in the butt. Well...it is TWD so who knows and you had the Carl dreams with Negan helping so that is a form of Foreshadwoing IMO.

Yeah...Daryl, carol and maggie went from main characters to background characters and jesus hardly is ever seen this year...now all (minus Carol) are in a secret meeting to take out rich and Michonne enough to kill Negan?!?! Really...seems kind of lame but if Negan is in a cell...I guess you gotta have some kind of bad guy or group of bad guys for the drama...everyone complains when there is no fighting or drama.

Horde of new zombies coming. People gotta band together to fight them. Be nice if they had a plan to divert them around the area but it appears they are too close for that now. So I imagine besides the Maggie plot..the next season will be a few episodes of the new group melding together and trying to figure out plans to ward off the new horde of zombies which will probably drag on for most of the season and finally show up on the finale.

Yes it was the womens group who were tossing the cocktails...I was not sure until I seen the one guy there.

My guess is the hand guns just injured people like Negan. However the rifles and if people were holding them in a manner where their eyes were looking down the scope and or barrel sites...I could see it killing those as it would fly backwards and hit them in the head. I did notice it did not kill them all though.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That was the Oceanside group.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It reminds me of the old bond type movies where the bad guy thinks he has bond dead so he tells him his whole evil plan and then bond lives and then stops him...Well this in reverse. After all of the stuff and you let Negan live and tell him your plan of keeping him in a cell to rot....no...nah...nope that is not going to bite him in the butt. Well...it is TWD so who knows and you had the Carl dreams with Negan helping so that is a form of Foreshadwoing IMO.

Yeah...Daryl, carol and maggie went from main characters to background characters and jesus hardly is ever seen this year...now all (minus Carol) are in a secret meeting to take out rich and Michonne enough to kill Negan?!?! Really...seems kind of lame but if Negan is in a cell...I guess you gotta have some kind of bad guy or group of bad guys for the drama...everyone complains when there is no fighting or drama.

Horde of new zombies coming. People gotta band together to fight them. Be nice if they had a plan to divert them around the area but it appears they are too close for that now. So I imagine besides the Maggie plot..the next season will be a few episodes of the new group melding together and trying to figure out plans to ward off the new horde of zombies which will probably drag on for most of the season and finally show up on the finale.

Yes it was the womens group who were tossing the cocktails...I was not sure until I seen the one guy there.

My guess is the hand guns just injured people like Negan. However the rifles and if people were holding them in a manner where their eyes were looking down the scope and or barrel sites...I could see it killing those as it would fly backwards and hit them in the head. I did notice it did not kill them all though.

What they've done interjecting the couple different subplots is tell us that there will not be a long time-jump like what occurred in the graphic novel (which I believe was two years).

However I have noticed both in an interview JDM did for his new movie with Duane Johnson and last night's "The Talking Dead" that he's sporting a somewhat long beard... And with filming for the new season starting pretty shortly there will be some sort of time jump but not one lasting a couple years.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What they've done interjecting the couple different subplots is tell us that there will not be a long time-jump like what occurred in the graphic novel (which I believe was two years).

However I have noticed both in an interview JDM did for his new movie with Duane Johnson and last night's "The Talking Dead" that he's sporting a somewhat long beard... And with filming for the new season starting pretty shortly there will be some sort of time jump but not one lasting a couple years.

I am not sure how they can do a time jump beyond a couple weeks if the horde of zombies was that close.

I guess they could start the season after a zombie horde has passed through and then start doing a flash back type of season but that would seem odd.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

yea, and with maggie and daryl having free reign, nothing would stop them from just going into his "cell" and killing him. problem done and what's rick going to do, kill one of those 2?

hardly.

jail them? again, don't see it. drama is great when it slows but this is pushed and manufactured and just reeks of boring.

i do see people dividing up and going their own way to a degree but the helicopter and mrs doubtfire need to show up quickly next season. watching a herd of zombies pass through only goes so far. again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was one stunningly fast end to the battle...

Yeah, I was mixed on it. For all of the stalling and drawn out pacing of this arc, the conclusion to it was wrapped awfully fast. Like they just realized they had just one episode left.

I'm glad it's done and they're finally moving on, but it was tied up awfully quickly for something that's been going on for two seasons now.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Yeah, I was mixed on it. For all of the stalling and drawn out pacing of this arc, the conclusion to it was wrapped awfully fast. Like they just realized they had just one episode left.

I'm glad it's done and they're finally moving on, but it was tied up awfully quickly for something that's been going on for two seasons now.
yea, bugged me some too but it was over, so oh well.

was funny most rick/negan fights last 20 minutes and leaving one to fly out a window and get away. his hand getting backfired and his troops dropping left him nowhere to go in that wide open field. no windows to go flying through this time.

if you've ever seen the tv show "life on mars" it was this way. 11 episodes (i think) of what IS going on and 1 that pulls it all together almost too quickly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

was funny most rick/negan fights last 20 minutes and leaving one to fly out a window and get away. his hand getting backfired and his troops dropping left him nowhere to go in that wide open field. no windows to go flying through this time.

if you've ever seen the tv show "life on mars" it was this way. 11 episodes (i think) of what IS going on and 1 that pulls it all together almost too quickly.

Ugh! That sort of pacing would drive me nuts.

It didn't here because I preferred to focus on the positive in that the Saviors storyline was finally ended. Not crazy about how they did it, but glad that they did it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I was stunned how quickly the battle passed... I thought "Geez, that's it? 2 and 1/2 seasons and it's over just like that?"

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I thought it was funny, Rick walking into that "Tree ambush" like that..

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ugh! That sort of pacing would drive me nuts.

It didn't here because I preferred to focus on the positive in that the Saviors storyline was finally ended. Not crazy about how they did it, but glad that they did it.

I just hope we've gotten past the "One group vs. the other" thing and they focus on simply ridding the planet of the undead.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not sure how they can do a time jump beyond a couple weeks if the horde of zombies was that close.

I guess they could start the season after a zombie horde has passed through and then start doing a flash back type of season but that would seem odd.

Yeah, the amount of time-jump will be interesting. It appears "Fear" has time-jumped to the same time as "TWD".