The Zeke Conundrum

starfan1

Reaction score
I’ve already been here and you didn’t even notice? I’m disappointed!

Other than he’s a piece of trash, pretty much everything has already been said. Finally more fans are starting to realize he certainly wasn’t worth the draft pick, sure as hell wasn’t worth the money and he’s not all that. As I’ve said 1K times, without a top 5-10 O line he is borderline below average and last year was evidence of that. And yes, there are and have been plenty of other RB’s with equivalent or worse O lines that have had more success.

I can’t wait for the day to zeke to tap out of his Cowboys uniform permanently. Hopefully he leaves the DFW area and never comes back. My skin crawls just knowing how close he is to where I live.
Not too much I disagree with except I don’t know him personally so I can only guess his character but in terms of his cowboy work you’re right that could have been duplicated by many with our line

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Elliot had one good season his rookie season. After that it’s been nothing but turmoil for him. So I kind of agree let’s see how we can do with everything in tact. Nothing hanging over our heads healthy. And then you’re right next year is the year

Somebody showed a "top field speed" chart for Zeke for multiple years. *Huge* dropoff after 2016. I think he was up to 22mph in 2016, never broke 20 again.

I wonder if he was a bit roided up in college, and couldn't get away with it in the pros. Even as much as you can point to the oline peaking in 2016, simply on the field by eyeball, Zeke has not looked as explosive after 2016, and the "top speed" numbers bear that out.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It was a mistake signing Elliott to that deal.

We should have simply squeezed him. Let him sit out as many games as he wanted, but don't pay him, and claw back signing bonus. He was still working on his final accrued season. He had to show up and give us 6 games if he ever wanted to play again.
Let him sit out his 5th year if he wanted, and not get paid there either. We probably could have arranged a trade.
It was a chance for Jerry to establish a little deterrence against players. He failed.

aria

Reaction score
We should have simply squeezed him. Let him sit out as many games as he wanted, but don't pay him, and claw back signing bonus. He was still working on his final accrued season. He had to show up and give us 6 games if he ever wanted to play again.
Let him sit out his 5th year if he wanted, and not get paid there either. We probably could have arranged a trade.
It was a chance for Jerry to establish a little deterrence against players. He failed.
An often over looked nugget is when Jerry extended Jaylon out of spite. He was trying to show zeke how he treats and rewards players fairly who don’t play hardball. As a result, dumb Jerry doubled down on his mistake and now Jaylon and zeke are the two worst contracts on the team as a result.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What bothers me the most is that what is reported to be one of the best offensive lines in the game, paired with reported to be one of the top power running backs, struggles so often in short yardage and red zone situations. That’s where both are supposed to earn their money. And they routinely fail.

Well...............its not one of the best Olines. Not lately. And Zeke cant bounce it outside and has poor vision. So they just run blitz up the middle.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
2 rushing titles

1 all pro

3 pro bowls

56 TDS

8341 yds

"Holding back the offense."

aka #ZekeHate

Most of those were in the first 3 years. He's pretty much done now and clearly depends on the Oline like most backs. Nothing special, waste of a 4th pick. Its EXACTLY why you dont take backs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
An often over looked nugget is when Jerry extended Jaylon out of spite. He was trying to show zeke how he treats and rewards players fairly who don’t play hardball. As a result, dumb Jerry doubled down on his mistake and now Jaylon and zeke are the two worst contracts on the team as a result.

I don't think it was spite it was just taking what *seemed* like a good deal.

If you projected Jaylon from his development through 2018, and expected continued positive improvement with his leg and his play, then the contract simply looked like a great deal.

aria

Reaction score
I don't think it was spite it was just taking what *seemed* like a good deal.

If you projected Jaylon from his development through 2018, and expected continued positive improvement with his leg and his play, then the contract simply looked like a great deal.
Jaylon had one “good” year up until that point, I think Jerry pulled the trigger way too early. He grossly overpaid for a one hit/year wonder when there was plenty of reason to have concern.

Even if Jaylon didn’t have the injury history, I would be hesitant to pay any player that much money who only had one good year. It was a typical Jerry over reaction.

There’s actually some decent articles about the whole thing but they’re from a source we can’t provide links to here.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jaylon had one “good” year up until that point, I think Jerry pulled the trigger way too early. He grossly overpaid for a one hit/year wonder when there was plenty of reason to have concern.

Even if Jaylon didn’t have the injury history, I would be hesitant to pay any player that much money who only had one good year. It was a typical Jerry over reaction.

There’s actually some decent articles about the whole thing but they’re from a source we can’t provide links to here.

They extended Jayon going into his contract year. You extend before they hit free agency. Should they have planned on franchising Jaylon after the season to keep him from hitting free agency? Sounds extra pricey.

Instead, they got what seemed to be a team friendly" contract going into Jaylon's contract year.

aria

Reaction score
They extended Jayon going into his contract year. You extend before they hit free agency. Should they have planned on franchising Jaylon after the season to keep him from hitting free agency? Sounds extra pricey.

Instead, they got what seemed to be a team friendly" contract going into Jaylon's contract year.
I’m saying I wouldn’t have extended him at all based on one decent year and with his injury history. Let him hit the market and if someone picked him up, oh well, and if they didn’t then maybe resign him for a lot cheaper than what they did.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke has regressed thats not unfair criticism its fact. Zeke has underperfomed thats also fact. And yes you have at times been critical. and you have seen me bash the offensive line and some of daks terrible throws and the defense most notably the LBs you just dont remember it because its not youre boy. If you think zeke is the only one that gets crap in here then youre blind. Dak gets more crap than him. You are as defensive as it gets when it comes to him.

Now the reason he gets alot shade is hes grossly overpaid and this year you will see even more dak bashing since he got paid. when i seen the thread i thought how many pages before Aria shows and how many before steve shows. lol.

Haha...you are right about that! I do think I am WAY more balanced (sane) than Aria.

I also think it's silly to use the excuse of payment to hate on any player. It's just that... huge excuse. I wield my opinion about it just like everyone else does theirs. As I wish. No personal offense intended....just my take.

Zeke...along with almost everyone else...get's another year from me. You can call them excuses...but last year was a cluster from even before TC. Dealing with covid protocol, GETTING covid, new coaching, horrific injury to your best bud and superstar QB, JAG QB's the rest of the year, an o-line that would have trouble starting in most big colleges....I mean...come on. Have the patience and grace to give him another year...make the best of it in happiness?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

The thing is he hadn't done anything to make ANYONE think he would be tagged and so saddling the team with a 6 year contract when he hasn't even come remotely close to living up to expectations when drafted was foolish at best.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does the offensive line with no starters playing sound familiar at all? Although his fumbling problem didn't help any.
Not only that...these same people blasted Andy hard. How can a RB be a threat with such a SO-CALLED terrible QB and O-line off the street? It doesn't make any sense.

And yes the fumbling cannot be excused. I thought he did a good job cleaning that up.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if Elliott were in Tampa, he'd play pretty well. But then again, at the price he commands, would he have been a better option for Tampa than Fournette? Nope.

And that's my point. In today's NFL, you don't need to pay elite money to a TB to get a good running game.
*IF* the rest of the team is good...especially a superstar veteran GOAT QB. And a good defense. And coaches that know how to do it.

On the other hand...if you do suck...of course paying outrageous money to a TB is silly. It is indeed a waste.

Still don't buy this Zeke hate because of the money. Incessant hate because of the paycheck? It's just an excuse for another reason...or insanity. You (not you you, "you in general") should just be a fan of another team that manages it better...and be happy. Otherwise, cheer on your team ON THE FIELD...why worry about the money that's is stupid.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Not only that...these same people blasted Andy hard. How can a RB be a threat with such a SO-CALLED terrible QB and O-line off the street? It doesn't make any sense.

And yes the fumbling cannot be excused. I thought he did a good job cleaning that up.

You reading me wrong. I give Elliott a pass for last season because of all in injuries and the defense, but other than that Elliott's productions has gone south since his rookie season and he's way way way over paid for his loss in production and if the Cowboys could have a do over they should have let him walk. He's had off the field problems, loss in production and last season started a fumbling problem. He's no long the Elliott of 2016.

lwehlers

Reaction score
Zeke got the money and security.... Fat and happy... Why push himself... Bring in a young hungry guy and I bet Zeke won't tap out...
i bet he does tap out still. he will get paid this year no matter what his numbers are going to be. now when his contract allows the team to cut him then he will be cut to save money but until then we are stuck with him.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You reading me wrong. I give Elliott a pass for last season because of all in injuries and the defense, but other than that Elliott's productions has gone south since his rookie season and he's way way way over paid for his loss in production and if the Cowboys could have a do over they should have let him walk. He's had off the field problems, loss in production and last season started a fumbling problem. He's no long the Elliott of 2016.
Okay....so I don't read you wrong. I get you loud and clear.

Your comparing him to probably one of the best rookie RB seasons EVER....on a stacked machine team. And he MUST perform at the level...on questionable teams with questionable coaching. Who COULD match it?

His stats have only truly "fallen off" last year. Nearly a thousand yards on a six game suspension? Then 1400+ total and 98+ ypg, then 1300+ with 85 ypg. Yes...that's a BIT of a decline. Sure. But it's still good yards on a team that EVERYONE claims the coach sucked and couldn't wait to get rid of him. If the coach sucks....doesn't that effect the players? I would think yes. Coach can't suck and have magical numbers.

Did Dak's numbers "decline"? Well probably not, right? But then 3500-ish yards is pretty pedestrian these days. Pretty easy to not "decline" form that. Even the QB you guys tore up...Andy Dalton...was able to manage around 3500 except the two season HE put 4500.

I get it...you don't like 'im. You'd rather have Fournette. :confused:

Sydla

Reaction score
*IF* the rest of the team is good...especially a superstar veteran GOAT QB. And a good defense. And coaches that know how to do it.

On the other hand...if you do suck...of course paying outrageous money to a TB is silly. It is indeed a waste.

Still don't buy this Zeke hate because of the money. Incessant hate because of the paycheck? It's just an excuse for another reason...or insanity. You (not you you, "you in general") should just be a fan of another team that manages it better...and be happy. Otherwise, cheer on your team ON THE FIELD...why worry about the money that's is stupid.

Again, stop being obtuse. It’s not about hating Elliott. It’s hard to take you seriously when you keep going back to that point.

I don’t hate Elliott. I just don’t like paying TBs, any TB, as much money as we are. In a capped league, I think you can build a good running game using less cap space than we are and that extra space can be used to bolster other positions.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Nothing to talk about. The Cowboys are stuck with Zeke and that contract until 2023.
Not if the Cowboys pull an Egals Wentzie deal. Still paying him while he's with another team which incidentally is the largest dead ($33.8 million) money charge in NFL history. Way to go Howie! :laugh: