This is a football move and yesterday's wasn't? - Same play

nathanlt

Reaction score
agree, He caught the ball facing Romo---did a 180 degree turn and while taking 3 steps was down by contact while reaching for the endzone.......the 180 turn starts building on the "football move" right off the bat.

I LOVE IT!! 3 football moves. #3 rotating 180, away from the defender. (or maybe that's football move #1) Great point.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Well then he did a poor job of propelling because he went nowhere and neither did the ball. Again, OP video vs yesterday and you see propel vs. landing forward.

Nope, WRONG AGAIN. When his right hand is about to impact the ground, the ball is paralell with his helmet. When his arms are on the ground, the ball is a football length ahead of his helmet. He was extending it, because it was beyond his helmet when both elbows were on the ground.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
Please, please, please stop bringing this play up. I don't think my heart can take it anymore.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Please, please, please stop bringing this play up. I don't think my heart can take it anymore.

Hey, look at it this way... the refs took the game from the Cowboys. It wasn't the Packers. After the year we've had, I can smile at that. The Packers did not beat the Cowboys on Sunday. I'd love to see how the last 4:09 would have played out.

I do not view this game as a Dallas loss. Yes, from what I've heard, and the highlights I've seen, they could have dominated more. But the refs took this game away. Your (OUR) Cowboys played incredibly well under difficult conditions, with an undertalented defense, that scrapped its way to massive overachievement. Yes, it's a shame the Cowboys aren't advancing. But it took a great train robbery to keep them out of the NFC championship.

THEY DESERVED THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP, AND STILL DO!!

blindzebra

Reaction score
Because ITS THE RULE!!!! The two feet and hand switch aren't football moves under this rule. and if you can't see it hitting the ground then you aren't objective.

You are the one that needs to read the rules.

The rules for a catch require two feet with control. The player must then make a move common to football. The falling player part only comes into play if neither of those things are met.

Dez caught the ball and landed. He turned toward the EZ...a move common to football...he was tripped by the defender ( this is what caused him to fall),he took a step to gather himself...another move common to football...he switched the ball from two hands to one...yet another move common to football...from that planted foot, his knee is bent and he clearly pushes off of that foot and straightens his leg while extending the ball...an indisputable move common to football.

There is no objectivity to your post, just the usual contrarian nonsense you always post.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Because ITS THE RULE!!!! The two feet and hand switch aren't football moves under this rule. and if you can't see it hitting the ground then you aren't objective.

AGAIN I ASK, WHERE'S THE STILL SHOT?? THERE'S NOTHING TO PROVE IT HIT THE GROUND.

Prove me wrong.

Also, show me the list of football moves.

Swanny

Reaction score
I can see both arguments to be honest. Which to me means the call should have stood as it was called on the field. You MUST be 100% certain that Dez did not make a football move and I don't know how you can say he 100% did not make a football move. And yes this play is not the reason we lost this game. I just wish somebody would ask Blandino how they were so certain Dez didn't make a football move. And if he says the reach wasn't long enough then he's saying there was a small reach??? Making it a football move. Again this is not what lost us the game. The fact that Aaron Rodgers could step up into a clean pocket all day long is the reason we lost

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The problem is the NFL defense of it seems to be "He didn't stretch out enough". That's a pretty pathetic thing to base a game changing over turn on. Pretty sure it doesn't meet their criteria for over turning on replay.

Every explanation from someone from the league, and the official himself, has been absolutely pathetic. They all know he screwed up. They all know he got the call wrong. They all know it but they're going to refuse to admit it because they had to admit to mistakes last week.

They're circling the wagons in an attempt to look unified and not get roasted and it's a pathetic attempt on all of their parts.

One guy, Mike P., even made the statement to "Forget the steps Dez made. They are not the issue."

That's about the dumbest thing I've seen to try and defend that BS. They're not the issue? Of course they're not to you Mike because if you acknowledge the steps then you're admitting that football MOVES were made and thus your idiot referee friend is blind and/or stupid.

Reactions: BAT

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
THE LEFT ELBOW hit the turf after the right elbow hit, causing the rotation. NOT THE GROUND. Look again. You have NO STILL SHOT proving it hit the ground. I've checked, there is none. His wrist is bending at a weird angle, due to the LEFT ELBOW impact.

Listen, there is no way it didn't hit the ground. Even Dez isn't disputing that. Here are screen shots and video. The first pic is as he is about to land. As you can see the ball is exposed on its back and side. His arm and hand are on tip/front and arm on side. You can also see he is not pushing forward but landing on both arms with the one hitting first ending up underneath him. The second pic is post contact with ground. The arm and hand are in the same spot and the ball has magically jumped up in the air. The third pic is from the other side at time of impact. If you take all three of these pics is reasonable to assume that the ball came loose from the ground. The video shows this at 36 seconds. Also if you watch any of the videos again you will notice that when his first leg lands his body is already almost parallel to the ground as he and the defender fall forward. As I said, these guys just don't bellyflop out o the sky so yes feet will hit before going down.

dez-bryant-catch-just-kidding.png

sam-shields-dez-bryant-nfl-divisional-round-dallas-cowboys-green-bay-packers8.jpg

10722179.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
HUGE difference in plays. In that one Dez catches it, runs and literally springs forward to stretch it out. Rewatch yesterdays again and be honest without being a Cowboy fan and I can see it being him just falling to the ground

I can see why people can say he may have been stumbling but the guy made 3 steps, switched hands and then fell or reached out. If it was anyone else I could see it stumbling. But if you look on the sidelines.....Dez is not even thinking about the catch being challenged. Dez is thinking the touchdown is being challenged. Dez was stretching out for that. In hindsight, makes you wonder what would've happened if he just made the catch and not tried to stretch it out.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Listen, there is no way it didn't hit the ground. Even Dez isn't disputing that. Here are screen shots and video. The first pic is as he is about to land. As you can see the ball is exposed on its back and side. His arm and hand are on tip/front and arm on side. You can also see he is not pushing forward but landing on both arms with the one hitting first ending up underneath him. The second pic is post contact with ground. The arm and hand are in the same spot and the ball has magically jumped up in the air. The third pic is from the other side at time of impact. If you take all three of these pics is reasonable to assume that the ball came loose from the ground. The video shows this at 36 seconds.

sam-shields-dez-bryant-nfl-divisional-round-dallas-cowboys-green-bay-packers8.jpg

10722179.jpg

You know if the play on the field was that it wasn't a catch fair enough. But I see nothing conclusive to show that football hitting the ground. People can say that's being a homer if they want but I sincerely don't see it. Even in that last pick. I think you're seeing more so Dez's facemask than you are the football. They sure didn't have any thing conclusive in the video footage they showed yesterday.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Watch his left leg and only his left leg. His knee goes from bent to straight, his left foot digs in and pushes off. You don't do that if you are falling.

You are so right on that. Thanks for pointing that out. You can clearly see him lunge toward the goal line which is without doubt, a "football move". And just before that, he clearly shifts the ball to his left arm which is another "football move".

nathanlt

Reaction score
Listen, there is no way it didn't hit the ground. Even Dez isn't disputing that. Here are screen shots and video. The first pic is as he is about to land. As you can see the ball is exposed on its back and side. His arm and hand are on tip/front and arm on side. You can also see he is not pushing forward but landing on both arms with the one hitting first ending up underneath him. The second pic is post contact with ground. The arm and hand are in the same spot and the ball has magically jumped up in the air. The third pic is from the other side at time of impact. If you take all three of these pics is reasonable to assume that the ball came loose from the ground. The video shows this at 36 seconds. Also if you watch any of the videos again you will notice that when his first leg lands his body is already almost parallel to the ground as he and the defender fall forward. As I said, these guys just don't bellyflop out o the sky so yes feet will hit before going down.

10722179.jpg

FUNNY... None of those shots have the ball TOUCHING the ground. The pylon covers up the ball at the critical moment. There's NO STILL SHOT OF THE BALL TOUCHING THE GROUND.

Thanks for proving my point. You have NO EVIDENCE.

Miller

Reaction score
You know if the play on the field was that it wasn't a catch fair enough. But I see nothing conclusive to show that football hitting the ground. People can say that's being a homer if they want but I sincerely don't see it. Even in that last pick. I think you're seeing more so Dez's facemask than you are the football. They sure didn't have any thing conclusive in the video footage they showed yesterday.

Then how does the ball come loose if the first two pics show his arm and hand in the exact same place? Because they are on the side and top, not underneath the ball. Something besides the arm and hand caused the ball to pop straight up.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The reasoning behind why the Calvin Johnson Rule applied is right there for all to see.

Dez caught ball.
Before first step, ball dislodged by DB
First foot falls as Dez recaptures the ball
Dez second step is now his first step with the ball
Third step is now true second step, and since the ball was juggled because of DB, this means he has to maintain control all the way to the ground.

The intentions of Dez to score mean nothing. He should have controlled the ball to the ground and allowed the offense to take it from there. No fault of Dez.

But - if he had caught it clean before first step with no dislodge by DB, then this was the refs making the wrong call.

They did not. I hate it. But it is in living color in the piece of video in this thread.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Then how does the ball come loose if the first two pics show his arm and hand in the exact same place? Because they are on the side and top, not underneath the ball. Something besides the arm and hand caused the ball to pop straight up.

That something was his LEFT ELBOW. You're overcompensating for your Cowboy fandom.

Miller

Reaction score
FUNNY... None of those shots have the ball TOUCHING the ground. The pylon covers up the ball at the critical moment. There's NO STILL SHOT OF THE BALL TOUCHING THE GROUND.

Thanks for proving my point.

By the way, I can read without massive font and bolding. Basically you are just being difficult for the sake of homerism. If his hand and arm are in the same place pre and post ball coming loose and they aren't under the ball, then some other force moved it. Dez doesn't dispute it came loose from the ground. He disputes that he wasn't diving forward after catching it.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

Thanks for proving my point. You have NO EVIDENCE.

The ball was in his left hand and you can clearly see in the video the ball moved when it hit the ground.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Yesterday I was screaming that it was a football move and shouldn't be overturned but again the more I look at it I don't see his last move as a move but just the act of going down. As far as hitting the ground its obvious it hit the ground. The ball hit sideways on turf and popped up

I see him coming down with the ball, then using his momentum to go for the endzone while the defenders legs gets in his way. sort of like a tackle???

then I see him DIVE for the pylon.... to try and make a touchdown. which is sort of like a football move!

Its over. Its done. imho it was the worst call I have ever seen and the replay official should be fired. There is plenty on that "film" that should have told him NOT to over turn the call on the field......

bad, bad. really bad call.

Miller

Reaction score
That something was his LEFT ELBOW. You're overcompensating for your Cowboy fandom.

Are you being serious? That's physically impossible and such a joke. The ball in the first pic shows his elbow above ball level. Look at the back of the ball as its pointing toward the ground. The second pic shows the ball then with the tip above his elbow...so the back of the ball that wasn't covered by hand or arm. The only way it pops up is from the ground. Please stop.