This is a football move and yesterday's wasn't? - Same play

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
The more I watch it, the madder I get. That is a catch, .. no that is a great catch!

He went up so high, caught the ball at the top of his jump, landed on the 5 yard line, took two steps and then pushed off towards the goal line with the third, stretched out and came up short of the goal line. The catch was complete at that point.

You could say he fumbled when he hit the ground, but since the Packer DB tripped him, it was down by contact.

Never did he "not catch" the ball.

I have been watching the NFL since the early 60's, ... that has always been a catch.

thats exactly how i see it. And how someone who is a "REPLAY OFFICAL" not see it that way , makes me scratch my head and ask. Why didnt he??

nathanlt

Reaction score
The ball was in his left hand and you can clearly see in the video the ball moved when it hit the ground.

I don't dispute at all that the ball moved. There's no conclusive still photo showing the ball touching the ground. NONE. Even if it moved, that's not proof that it hit the ground. His left elbow hitting first caused it.

Even if the referee ignores both elbows hitting the ground first, OVERRIDES the call on the field WITHOUT a still photo of the ball on the ground, he still can't deliver a reason why it's not a fumble, then recovery in the end zone. THREE football moves occurred first.

Ball movement is not the same as the ball touching the ground.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Are you being serious? That's physically impossible and such a joke. The ball in the first pic shows his elbow above ball level. Look at the back of the ball as its pointing toward the ground. The second pic shows the ball then with the tip above his elbow...so the back of the ball that wasn't covered by hand or arm. The only way it pops up is from the ground. Please stop.

Watch the motion again, you'll see that both elbows are on the ground first. It took me a few times before I noticed that one. Hold a football in your hand, and let your elbow hit the ground FIRST as you secure the nose of the football with your fingers. You'll notice the ball moving up, due to your wrist bending before contacting the ground.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I don't dispute at all that the ball moved. There's no conclusive still photo showing the ball touching the ground. NONE. Even if it moved, that's not proof that it hit the ground. His left elbow hitting first caused it.

Even if the referee ignores both elbows hitting the ground first, OVERRIDES the call on the field WITHOUT a still photo of the ball on the ground, he still can't deliver a reason why it's not a fumble, then recovery in the end zone. THREE football moves occurred first.

Ball movement is not the same as the ball touching the ground.

Still photo is swinging at one ion the dirt. The video clearly shows the control being lost when the defender hit it, and then the ball moving above his hand when he hit the ground. Your argument flies in the face of logic. The ball did not move on its own.

And your assertion three football moves occurred ignores the first step was after he had to recapture the ball. So that move is negated and then the Calvin Johnson Rule applies. and the ball moved when he hit the ground. You are rewriting visual history now.

sbark

Reaction score
How many high light plays of a player catching turning up field 180 degree's, taking 3 steps with ball under control..........getting blasted and a fumble..........and its a fumble..........its considered a "football move".............just happens Dez goes down by contact before ground causes fumble.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Watch the motion again, you'll see that both elbows are on the ground first. It took me a few times before I noticed that one. Hold a football in your hand, and let your elbow hit the ground FIRST as you simulate what I'm telling you. You'll notice the ball moving up, before contacting the ground.

Sorry, that's ridiculous. I can't go diving around my office. Again, look at pic 1. The back half of the ball is pointing down, below elbow level. You can see it below the gloves.The second pic then shows that same back end popped up above his elbow. So physics would show that the back half of the ball hit first and then popped right up over his arm and elbow. An elbow also wouldn't shield the length of the ball or midball from not hitting the turf.

wconn1979

Reaction score
Once again it was ruled a catch on the field. There needed to be indisputable evidence that there was no football move. There was not, therefore we were robbed.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Still photo is swinging at one ion the dirt. The video clearly shows the control being lost when the defender hit it, and then the ball moving above his hand when he hit the ground. Your argument flies in the face of logic. The ball did not move on its own.

And your assertion three football moves occurred ignores the first step was after he had to recapture the ball. So that move is negated and then the Calvin Johnson Rule applies. and the ball moved when he hit the ground. You are rewriting visual history now.

His ELBOW CAUSED THE BALL TO MOVE. TRY IT, YOU'LL SEE!

THERE IS NO INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE
the ground made the ball move. It is an erroneous assumption without still photo or video proof. You said yourself, you could see the ball move ABOVE HIS HAND!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Then how does the ball come loose if the first two pics show his arm and hand in the exact same place? Because they are on the side and top, not underneath the ball. Something besides the arm and hand caused the ball to pop straight up.

I see no reason why his hand under the football then hitting the ground couldn't cause it to pop straight up. The fact is, there's nothing conclusive there. The rules in challenging start off with it MUST BE CONCLUSIVE. You may see it one way. But from that video I could see a few things happening and that's not conclusive. If they had blown the play and called it a incomplete pass.....that's easier to live with.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Sorry, that's ridiculous. I can't go diving around my office. Again, look at pic 1. The back half of the ball is pointing down, below elbow level. You can see it below the gloves.The second pic then shows that same back end popped up above his elbow. So physics would show that the back half of the ball hit first and then popped right up over his arm and elbow. An elbow also wouldn't shield the length of the ball or midball from not hitting the turf.

You're projecting what you think happened from pic 1 forward. And yet, you don't have a still photo of what you THINK MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED.

Then try it sitting in your chair. Let your elbow hit the armrest FIRST as you bring your arm down, your fingers push the ball above your forearm.

Miller

Reaction score
Once again it was ruled a catch on the field. There needed to be indisputable evidence that there was no football move. There was not, therefore we were robbed.

And in my opinion I think he just fell down. I may be wrong and being that we are debating it then your theory would be fine. But once the process for this rule started it looked to me like he just went down. If he honestly had that much control while falling then I'm more peeved he just didn't tuck it.

wconn1979

Reaction score
And in my opinion I think he just fell down. I may be wrong and being that we are debating it then your theory would be fine. But once the process for this rule started it looked to me like he just went down. If he honestly had that much control while falling then I'm more peeved he just didn't tuck it.
Even if he was falling down, the ruling on the field was a completed catch. There needed to be indisputable evidence that there was not a football move.

sbark

Reaction score

yup, like said above by WCCowboy I believe..........basically a single Indiv. took it upon himself to give the rules a 180 degree twist and force Dez to essentially prove there was, a complete warpage of the intent of NFL Instant replay...........in essense instead of Dez being innocent until proven guilty, he was guilty automatically, and doesn't get any chance to prove otherwise..........it was up to one mans opinion, and then the NFL circled the wagons to protect the "system" at least until competition committee when they change the rule and basically admit they fubar'd

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
His ELBOW CAUSED THE BALL TO MOVE. TRY IT, YOU'LL SEE!

THERE IS NO INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE
the ground made the ball move. It is an erroneous assumption without still photo or video proof. You said yourself, you could see the ball move ABOVE HIS HAND!!

Shouting doesn't change the fact when the ball moves above his hand, that is loss of control. The rule is enforced that way consistently throughout the season.

Miller

Reaction score
You're projecting what you think happened from pic 1 forward. And yet, you don't have a still photo of what you THINK MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED.

Dude, its not projecting. It's called reality. If you can't see that, then there is no hope for you or objectivity. Your elbow theory is easily rejected from the first pic alone which shows no elbow under the ball or even on the ball. In fact you can see the back half of the football below his hands and gloves which means they were the first to hit. The position in the second pic proves that because that is how it bounced up. The elbow isn't even the 10th best answer you could have made up. I'm getting to the point that I think you may be just trolling now.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Even if he was falling down, the ruling on the field was a completed catch. There needed to be indisputable evidence that there was not a football move.

And when he juggled the ball before the first step, that conclusion changed from a catch to a none catch and the Calvin Johnson Rule applies at that point.

nathanlt

Reaction score

Looking back at how the refs overreacted, I agree with you. We'd be celebrating an NFC championship game if Dez were more cautious. But you and I both know that's not his nature, it is a part of who he is, it gives him his edge.

nathanlt

Reaction score
And when he juggled the ball before the first step, that conclusion changed from a catch to a none catch and the Calvin Johnson Rule applies at that point.

HAHAHAHA!! That is so weak.. So switching hands is an automatic incompletion? That's what you just argued for.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Yesterday I was screaming that it was a football move and shouldn't be overturned but again the more I look at it I don't see his last move as a move but just the act of going down. As far as hitting the ground its obvious it hit the ground. The ball hit sideways on turf and popped up

You are missing his leap at the end.. he literally leaps off of one leg and the very end. That is a football move and he has done it before.