This is why Amari wanted out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
That is free cheddar but it has to be recognized before the ball is snapped. Not exactly the strength of the 40 million dollar princess.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Watch it again. Then watch it again. Each time focus on Dak's head, the position of both safeties, and the linebacker in the middle of the field as the DT broke free to invade the area Dak would have stepped up.

Now offer a commentary about what the temperament would have been with a poorly thrown ball because Dak could not step into it. Throwing late which allowed the safety to come over. Or not enough gusto on the ball the linebacker wandered back and deflected it, or worse intercepted it.

And in the final analysis, what Dak saw, and what he believed he saw, also requires an understanding of where this was in the game, and how many more times Dak would have the ball back with time enough to win. If that didn't end up in the other team's hands because of the lateness of him seeing the TE.

Then factor in that McCarthy wants him to risk less. Which speaks to your comment about coaching.

I agree he could make that throw. He made some much more difficult in the game.
Dak's head is my biggest argument here. No reason in that situation to do a half-hearted fake and take his eyes off the secondary. Doing so made Dak slow to get around to that pass, which while it looks open that window closed up quick. This is something youll see even in obvious passing situations that Dak does routinely and I keep going back to can the guy just not adjust or is MM this controlling? The play fake there is 100% wasted motion.

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
Sigh....it was Playaction and Dak's back was turned to the receiver, as soon as Dak turns his body around, the safety closes in on Ferg and the d line get pressure causing him to roll out the pocket.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Troy was trying to be his usual diplomatic self but basically what he was trying to tell everybody is Dak won't throw the ball beyond 10 yd down the middle of the field. Everybody knows that, the defenses don't even worry about it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Fans expect the QB to see the entire field at the same time…impossible even for the best ever.
If it’s the right play and based on presnap reads, the QB goes through a progression. Look here, look there, look a third place if possible. This is the reason defenses try to disguise coverage and adjust at the snap.
What I see is Dak looks right and by the time the looks at Ferguson second, the TE is now in a danger zone where either of the two guys he’s running the seam on could make a play on the ball.

What makes that play work to Ferguson?
  1. TE is the first read and the ball is out immediately at 5 yards and he gets maybe 15.
  2. TE realizes he’s the second read and slow plays his release or sits down in the opening instead of continuing to run.
Ideally, Dak knows what the defense was going to do before the snap and looks at TE right away. That’s not going to always happen with any QB. That’s the point of disguising coverage.
Ferguson is young; I’m sure when he saw the LB run out and the DBs widen, his eyes lit up, but he also needs to learn that when he wasn’t the #1 read, don’t keep running up the seam into the coverage, stop at 5-7 yards and be open when the QB goes to his second read.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pre snap read? They’re playing 2 LBs shaded strong with a safety over the top. The TE is certainly not the primary in that situation.
This is a very fair point that I would be open to listening to more break down on. I'm not sure where the first read here is supposed to be, but Daks head goes straight to the TE first, or at least it seams. IMO its a clear cover 2 look the read should be the strong side backer. Either he runs with the TE opening up the flat, or the backer takes the flat and the TE runs free. Maybe I'm completely over simplifying it?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now why was Dak faking to no one? I don't have the slightest clue and hopefully that gets fixed. But he missed a wide open receiver because he wasn't looking in the right direction.
He can't see the field. It's not a new issue and won't ever get better. This happens every week.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think some of that was pressure. He had to roll out. If he had a pocket to drop back in maybe he look down field.
No. Ferguson is open in <2 seconds. This is 100% Daks inability to quickly diagnose after the snap. It’s his biggest weakness.

To his credit, it’s also what separates good quarterbacks from great ones. The good news is, you can win a Super Bowl with a good QB.

SackMaster

Reaction score
He can't see the field. It's not a new issue and won't ever get better. This happens every week.
EVERY QB to have ever played the game, currently plays the game, and will play the game will miss open receivers every game.

It happens. And you can either accept that or hate every QB that will ever play.
:thumbup:

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak's head is my biggest argument here. No reason in that situation to do a half-hearted fake and take his eyes off the secondary. Doing so made Dak slow to get around to that pass, which while it looks open that window closed up quick. This is something youll see even in obvious passing situations that Dak does routinely and I keep going back to can the guy just not adjust or is MM this controlling? The play fake there is 100% wasted motion.
It's called looking off the safety! If he had stared down the TE and had his pass intercepted, you would have complained about that too.

XXLMike

Reaction score
What a ridiculous thread. One single play is all you took out of a big win.

If Dak had thrown for 400 and five TDs, you would have *still* created this thread because that’s the agenda you are forcing.
I’m happy about the win Dak Prescott continues to miss wide-open receivers because he is not a quick assessment guy. He also is gun shy due to the interceptions.

CxC1993

Reaction score
With what time? Pressure was coming almost immediately and he has to scramble. I have my criticisms of Dak at times but there’s not too much else he could’ve done here.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Its always easier to play QB from behind the screen and outside of first person. We also don't know what Dak was instructed to do but would love to be a fly on the wall for that film session.

On this specific play the LB was in the middle of the field and in the throwing lane. There was also a db on the back end as well playing zone that could have slid protection there. I think both those things gave him pause for a second and then protection broke down a second or 2 later.

Ultimately he should have hit Ferg, but my question is why not have a guy run in the middle to force the LB down and open the field up more?

Status
Not open for further replies.