This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In this scenario I'd be an idiot. If I'm a top player who is already filthy rich I'd happily take less money. What I would look to do is ask for other things if I am giving a team discount. I'd ask for a no trade clause. I'd ask not for any actual decision making power but for my voice to be heard in roster planning. I'd also explore an opt out of the contract at some point in case the team takes my extra money and runs instead of reinvesting in the team.
Good for you.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Well, JJ has some serious decisions to make, it will be interesting to see what he does, pay huge amounts of money to three players or not.
better question would be wether he does or doesnt will it change the seasons outcomes this decade? Its past time they change how they do things we are talking decades at this point...The Jets have 7 playoff wins and 3 AFC championship appearances since 1996...this FO is worse than the jets..much worse. HOw are we still talking about JJ making these desicions...

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Abiding to rookie contracts, in a violent sport, when you are a top performer, have provided multiple years of service for below market rate compared to top earners....

Players should not be shamed for wanting an extension before injury.

Its about being reasonable.

The league should fix this.

I dont care about what the CBA says. No one agrees with this 'edge' the owners have. The owners are flush with cash, not the players.

Its blatant abuse. Players have given energy since most were very young and deserve a big pay day without worrying about an injury ruining it all.

Using contracts as the go to excuse to shame players when the financials are no where near comparable between owners and players...is blatant propaganda.

The CBA is failing the players...or at least the top performers who get injured early in their careers.

I dont care about the CBA excuse....its weak.

Players should hold out until this is fixed.

No one in Lamb's position should lose 100M+ because of some shady contracts prevented them from collecting based on an injury.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't begrudge anyone their desire to make as much as they can make. That's basically the point of a free market society and it encourages people to strive for their highest and best, knowing they'll get paid accordingly.

My beef with our players (Dak in particular, as an 8 year vet and the so called "leader" of this team") is not about money in and of itself.

My beef is, when you are the major weak link in our last 3 playoff losses and you are demanding to be paid more than anyone else in the history of professional football, I don't call that greed. I call it appalling arrogance.

Here's an idea. Go perform when it counts Dak. Go win a Super Bowl, or even an NFC title, or hell even a damn divisional game and then come back and act like you deserve to be paid more than anyone who's ever played the game. But after that garbage **** show vs GB and the last couple of times vs SF getting totally exposed, to expect to be paid the biggest contract in league history isn't greed. It's arrogance. And he ought to be embarrassed. But truly arrogant people like Dak who overestimate their own value don't have the good sense to be embarrassed.
Let him walk Jerry. Let him go to a team that isn't good enough to win 5 out of 6 games with Cooper Rush under center and see how he does. Someone is going to grossly overpay for Dak because of this dumb "market value" argument. I just hope it isn't us.
But, you have it all wrong, Dak his bad self said he does not play football for the money. lmao

DAL1180

Reaction score
Why is this so funny? The fear of injury is always what the players use as justification for all this money. So realistically if they are so worried why not do something that is not so dangerous?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Abiding to rookie contracts, in a violent sport, when you are a top performer, have provided multiple years of service for below market rate compared to top earners....

The league should fix this.

I dont care about what the CBA says. No one agrees with this 'edge' the owners have. The owners are flush with cash, not the players.

Its blatant abuse. Players have given energy since most were very young and deserve a big pay day without worrying about an injury ruining it all.

Using contracts as the go to excuse to shame players when the financials are no where near comparable between owners and players...is blatant propaganda.

The CBA is failing the players...or at least the top performers who get injured early in their careers.

I dont care about the CBA excuse....its weak.

Players should hold out until this is fixed.
the CBA is a joke in the NFL, the owners run roughshot over it when negotiations happen..out of all the sports the NFL owners have thier PA on lock down big time

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
better question would be wether he does or doesnt will it change the seasons outcomes this decade? Its past time they change how they do things we are talking decades at this point...The Jets have 7 playoff wins and 3 AFC championship appearances since 1996...this FO is worse than the jets..much worse. HOw are we still talking about JJ making these desicions...
I can only sympathize with you because every Cowboy fan around knows JJ will never give up the GM title. Damn it, he is in the HOF.

Another thing that is funny to me about all this money problem stuff, if I recall correctly, JJ is the one that actually proposed the salary cap many moons ago, now he does not know that the hell is going on.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

I agree with this, but if a player wants that extension early should they also force the team to make the #1 or 2 paid at that position? As you mentioned lets all be reasonable about this. Does a player want to receive that security early or maximize every dollar they will get? When they try to push for both of those things is typically when we see issues.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He values his services more than you do, thats not greedy its a market...looks like we will find out what his market is this offseason..when it comes to someones pay greedy would be a very hard thing to prove, how do you set a "This is enough" price on family finances for genrations? If your neighbor could get 10k more from the competition and leaves his current company for it is that greedy, is he literally going to watse the extar money so no one can have it?
that apples to oranges comparison.
Big difference between 60 mil a year and 100k a year, some only make 25k a year.
Dak probably has or will have soon 350 million in the bank, he is set for life, wanting more is being greedy.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I agree with this, but if a player wants that extension early should they also force the team to make the #1 or 2 paid at that position? As you mentioned lets all be reasonable about this. Does a player want to receive that security early or maximize every dollar they will get? When they try to push for both of those things is typically when we see issues.
I get it...the players have to be reasonable too.

But...the issue arises from agents and players telling the owners they are top performers and the cap is going up constantly...so them asking for top 3 money should not be an issue.

And really, it shouldnt if you are that good of a producer, and these Organizations have the math tricks to make things work.

If the Org values a top 5 performer....they should pay. No questions asked. Unless....the player is a Non-QB, not #1 in the league at his position and asking for NTC.

The owners are banking and the cap is increasing.

Yes...top 5 performers at their position should be able to use the cap as an excuse to get paid well when negotiating their second contract. The 3rd contract is debatable and many factors are in play. But...not for the second.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Billionaire owners are greedy, millionaire players are greedy and honestly it's just ok. Everyone is trying to earn what they can.
my sympathy for that point of view ends at around $10 million a year contracts and $50 million in guaranteed

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
First Owners are BILLIONAIRES !! .........that has nothing to do with it,they have to work within the 255 mil cap, so how much $ jerry has is
irrelevant . Are they greedy jerks ? sure they are. But again nothing to do with players being greedy.
Some think that means since owners are greedy, it is ok for players to be greedy. And that is just a matter of opinion, I know 2 wrongs dont make a right.

Injuries, cte etc. that is why the job pays millions, and your all for dak getting 60 mil, but what about the other guys who are more
at risk to injurys and cte, that only get 1-5 mil a year ?? you dont care about them now do you ?

The more the stars get the less the non stars and low level players will get , and they all take the same risks and actually more risks.
who cares about them ?? no one.(except me I guess)

They havent earned any money yet, not future $ or new contract $. That is just in your misguided opinion.
The only opinion that matters is the jones boys, they will decide who gets what and it will be base soley on their opinion not facts etc.
Thats how it works.

I dont think dak and lamb have earned anything, except being traded lol. Just my opinion which is meaningless like everyone else's opinions.

The jones boys and the players will work it all out without the fans help lol, and they dont care what you or I think about it.
Our job is to wait and see what happens, then talk about it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ceedee Lamb has made $14M in his career so far and is set to make $18M this season. The man has already made enough money to create generational wealth for his family. He also has enough money that purchasing an insurance policy against injury shouldn't be an issue either if that is his primary concern.

There is plenty of money for these guys to make in their careers even if they were to take discounted rates. The players we really should be caring about is the bottom of the roster. So many players make peanuts compared to the guys at the top and these are the players who are screwed if they get injured. Those are the guys who truly have short careers in this league. Guys at the top looking to get paid max money doesnt make them bad people, but I do wish we would change the focus on who to root for in actually getting raises.
so can't you say the same thing about Jerry. he has made BILLIONS upon BILLIONS. so he not only has made generational wealth. he has made enough to last for 40 generations. so why not give some to CD? and who are you to question how much should CD make. what is wrong with wanting to make more? sounds like you are ok with one side making money and not the other.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
so can't you say the same thing about Jerry. he has made BILLIONS upon BILLIONS. so he not only has made generational wealth. he has made enough to last for 40 generations. so why not give some to CD? and who are you to question how much should CD make. what is wrong with wanting to make more? sounds like you are ok with one side making money and not the other.
Salary cap! Get it through you think head. You are talking apples to oranges.

Oh, don't be posting dirty stuff anymore, that is disgusting.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
my sympathy for that point of view ends at around $10 million a year contracts and $50 million in guaranteed
I don't feel bad or have sympathy for either side. If i'm a player especially a good one i'm doing what Dak is doing now, but if i'm an owner i'm not having it and am happy to trade players away for high picks and cheaper assets.

rags747

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
Except Bigtime players all came up SMALL vs GB. Let them prove it, they are all currently under contract. No one is asking them to work for free, they are all 100% under contract. As one of our famous players from yesteryear asked, What Do Contract Mean?!

gtb1943

Reaction score
I don't feel bad or have sympathy for either side. If i'm a player especially a good one i'm doing what Dak is doing now, but if i'm an owner i'm not having it and am happy to trade players away for high picks and cheaper assets.
I certainly have no sympathy for billionaires but I also have very little for millionaires either.