Tipping your waitress?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Joe Rod;4560830 said:
I do. I used to tend bar many years ago and I know the position is normally paid well under minimum wage at restaurants with the expectations that tips would make up the majority of the pay. Since Burger King employees get paid at least minimum wage and it is part of their normal routine, I don't see where it is a good comparison.

Honestly, even when I did tend bar I couldn't figure out how much I should expect back from a customer, but taking the order, getting it ready when it came up and cashing out the customer did take time away from my attention to the sitting customers at the bar. Less attention can sometimes lead to less tips, especially if you are swamped by orders at the bar.

I usually bear that in mind when I go pick up an order today, but I still have no real feel for what I should give the bartender. I guess there is really no good answer.

I don't see where bar tending and getting take orders is a good comparison. Most charge enough as is for the meal I'm picking up. I can understand if it I a delivery but when I have to drive to the location and pick up then I don't see how them handing me a bag was worth a tip.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4560777 said:
I don't tip for take out. As I said I can understand delievery but take out? Do you tip at fast food joints? How much at Burger King
Exactly...why tip them for cooking food that you're paying for

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4560836 said:
I don't see where bar tending and getting take orders is a good comparison. Most charge enough as is for the meal I'm picking up. I can understand if it I a delivery but when I have to drive to the location and pick up then I don't see how them handing me a bag was worth a tip.

It's a good comparison because the bar-tender is the one taking care of the take-out orders with most of the upscale restaurants in my area. Same thing when I worked bar back in Orlando.

Your prerogative not to tip at all, but certainly not the path I would take.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Joe Rod;4560857 said:
It's a good comparison because the bar-tender is the one taking care of the take-out orders with most of the upscale restaurants in my area. Same thing when I worked bar back in Orlando.

Your prerogative not to tip at all, but certainly not the path I would take.

I don't mind tipping for service but putting food in a bag? I'm paying them already they are not giving me service. I tip the bar tender to get decent drinks but placing food in a bag hardly is a endevor that is worthy of tipping. I'm not knocking you

rocboy22

Reaction score
what about curbside? like at applebee's where they bring your "to go" order out to you in your car? I would say give a buck or two

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Phoenix;4560809 said:
I will not tip at fast food places, at all. This includes places like Dunkin' Doughnuts & Subway where I often times see a glass by the register with "tips" on it.

Not even at Sonic where they bring your food out to you?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rocboy22;4560877 said:
what about curbside? like at applebee's where they bring your "to go" order out to you in your car? I would say give a buck or two

Sure they are going out of their way for you. Typically I drive to the restaurant get out go in they hand me my order. I just don't see where that deserves a tip.

rocboy22

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4560882 said:
Sure they are going out of their way for you. Typically I drive to the restaurant get out go in they hand me my order. I just don't see where that deserves a tip.

same here

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4560872 said:
I don't mind tipping for service but putting food in a bag? I'm paying them already they are not giving me service. I tip the bar tender to get decent drinks but placing food in a bag hardly is a endevor that is worthy of tipping. I'm not knocking you

I know you aren't. It would probably make my wife and my wallet feel better if I was more in line with your way of thinking, but I just can't come around to it. :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4560880 said:

To me that is no different than going inside and the waitress is serving you. So yes I could give them a tip. Some sonics have drive through windows, I don't tip them for picking up my own food

Phoenix

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4560880 said:

I've never actually been to Sonic :)

Do people tip there?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Phoenix;4560894 said:
I've never actually been to Sonic :)

Do people tip there?

You are missing out! Their foot long chili cheese cony, tator tots with cheese, and breakfast toasters freaking own!

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4560772 said:
20% is my base tip. I can go up or down based on the service. Most of the time it's right at 20%.

For take-out, I usually tip $1-$3 depending on how big the order is. Generally just for preparation of it. I never tip standards rates for take-out though. You are definitely throwing money away if you do that.

Me too.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;4560918 said:
Ditto, I'll usually give the car hop $1.
There is one here in Tucson at the Sonic near Grant and I-10 who is lovely inside and out. She skates to the cars and I tip her well because she is absolutely pleasant all the time.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4560914 said:
You are missing out! Their foot long chili cheese cony, tator tots with cheese, and breakfast toasters freaking own!

Oh my goodness that sounds sooooo good, but I am currently striving to lower my cholesterol a bit and reclaim a tighter belt notch or two, after having put on FOUR inches around my waist in the past year and a half of stopping smoking :eek:

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what would people tip if the servers made minimum wage? What is minimum wage down there anyways?

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
  • Section 3 (m) of the Fair Labor Standards Act allows restaurants to pay food servers less than the minimum wage if the food server earns enough in tips to make up the difference. The amount deducted from the server's paycheck is called a tip credit. Restaurants may only take a tip credit for waiters and waitresses who earn at least $30 a month in tips and must pay their tipped employees at least $2.13 an hour. If the waiter's tips plus $2.13 an hour don't add up to the federal minimum wage, the restaurant must take a smaller tip credit to pay the difference

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Yesterday, we were at Red Lobsters (as per my mother's request) for a dinner, there were nine of us and the bill was $324 and change and I tipped $90 because I was very pleased with their service.

The drinks were filled/refreshed without being asked, always made sure fresh bread were on the table, two waitress were at our table frequently to make sure we have everything we needed, and they displayed very good attitude.