Tipping your waitress?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
03EBZ06;4561018 said:
Yesterday, we were at Red Lobsters (as per my mother's request) for a dinner, there were nine of us and the bill was $324 and change and I tipped $90 because I was very pleased with their service.

The drinks were filled/refreshed without being asked, always made sure fresh bread were on the table, two waitress were at our table frequently to make sure we have everything we needed, and they displayed very good attitude.
Springs1 wants to choke you out right now.

rkell87

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4560872 said:
I don't mind tipping for service but putting food in a bag? I'm paying them already they are not giving me service. I tip the bar tender to get decent drinks but placing food in a bag hardly is a endevor that is worthy of tipping. I'm not knocking you

the problem is that you do not know how much they get paid, if you are expected to tip, and how much they actually do to get your meal prepared because it is not as standardized across the board like being waited on.

often times the person that takes your order on the phone is the person doing everything for your order the whole way through, including handing you your bag.

think of your dine in experience and everything your server is responsible for during it. Take your order promptly, talk to you about menu items, explain what comes on/with your food, bring you bread/chips, fill your drinks, put the order in promptly, make sure the kitchen gets your food out on time and correct, make sure you have everything you need for your meal including dressing/napkins/utensils/salt, pepper,ketchup. anything else you can think of.

now lets look at a to go order. Takes your order promptly and explains items on the menu, probably more so than when you dine in because you do not have the menu in front of you, makes sure you have bread/chips with your order, fill drinks if ordered, put the order in promptly and will actually have to stay on top of the kitchen more so than if you dined in because the kitchen views to go orders as less important because there is no telling when you will actually be there and a lot of the times if they make it right away they will have to re make it because it will be cold by the time you get there so the to go server has to make sure they do not forget, they make sure you do not wait too long to get your food and make sure it is correct, make sure you have everything you need for your meal including dressing/napkins/utensils/salt,pepper,ketchup.

now what you don't realize is that when you dine in sometimes your napkin/utensils are brought by the hostess, your bread/chips are brought by a food runner, your drinks are filled by other wait staff/food runners, and sometimes your food is is brought by food runners. Your to go server is doing almost everything for your order, sometimes(a lot of times) boxing up your food because the kitchen made it for dine in, also putting lids on everything which is an extra step that dine in servers do not have which doesn't sound like a lot until you realize, that extra cheese you ordered/lid, dressing/lid, salad/lid, croutons on side/lid, drink/lid, dessert/lid, main course/lid( that was one person in your order)

on top of that if they are good they will write what each thing is so you do not have to hunt it down.

Now your to go server has done no less than your dine in server except having to refill your drink and if you take away the help your dine in server gets then your to go server has done more for your meal than your dine in server, but you do not think they deserve your tip even though they make the same wage as your dine in server?

now think about the times a bartender has handed you your bag, that means that they cut the to-go server and the bartender is doing everything for your meal on top of his bar duties.

and now think of the curbside to-go, they do everything mentioned above but they are taking orders from people who are already there and waiting outside, as well as people who call it in.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rkell87;4561067 said:
the problem is that you do not know how much they get paid, if you are expected to tip, and how much they actually do to get your meal prepared because it is not as standardized across the board like being waited on.

often times the person that takes your order on the phone is the person doing everything for your order the whole way through, including handing you your bag.

think of your dine in experience and everything your server is responsible for during it. Take your order promptly, talk to you about menu items, explain what comes on/with your food, bring you bread/chips, fill your drinks, put the order in promptly, make sure the kitchen gets your food out on time and correct, make sure you have everything you need for your meal including dressing/napkins/utensils/salt, pepper,ketchup. anything else you can think of.

now lets look at a to go order. Takes your order promptly and explains items on the menu, probably more so than when you dine in because you do not have the menu in front of you, makes sure you have bread/chips with your order, fill drinks if ordered, put the order in promptly and will actually have to stay on top of the kitchen more so than if you dined in because the kitchen views to go orders as less important because there is no telling when you will actually be there and a lot of the times if they make it right away they will have to re make it because it will be cold by the time you get there so the to go server has to make sure they do not forget, they make sure you do not wait too long to get your food and make sure it is correct, make sure you have everything you need for your meal including dressing/napkins/utensils/salt,pepper,ketchup.

no what you don't realize is that when you dine in sometimes your napkin/utensils are brought by the hostess, your bread/chips are brought by a food runner, your drinks are filled by other wait staff/food runners, and sometimes your food is is brought by food runners. Your to go server is doing almost everything for your order, sometimes(a lot of times) boxing up your food because the kitchen made it for dine in, also putting lids on everything which is an extra step that dine in servers do not have which doesn't sound like a lot until you realize, that extra cheese you ordered/lid, dressing/lid, salad/lid, croutons on side/lid, drink/lid, dessert/lid, main course/lid( that was one person in your order)

on top of that if they are good they will write what each thing is so you do not have to hunt it down.

Now your to go server has done no less than your dine in server except having to refill your drink and if you take away the help your dine in server gets then your to go server has done more for your meal than your dine in server, but you do not think they deserve your tip even though they make the same wage as your dine in server?

now think about the times a bartender has handed you your bag, that means that they cut the to-go server and the bartender is doing everything for your meal on top of his bar duties.

and now think of the curbside to-go, they do everything mentioned above but they are taking orders from people who are already there and waiting outside, as well as people who call it in.

I don't tip for take out when I have to drive and get the food. I paid once for the service to begin with I'm not paying twice. To say I don't relize? I relize putting food in a paper bag is not worth tipping. If you think it is you tip them. Lastly it is part of their job, they are not paid to stand around they are not going out of their way to server you or clean up after you.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Anyone working must make at least the minimum wage. A server may make $2.13/hr, but if when their tips are added to this rate the total does not meet the minimum wage requirement, they will be supplemented to meet the minimum wage.

In other word, if a waiter did not make any tips during a pay period, they would be still paid the minimun wage.

rkell87

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4561073 said:
I don't tip for take out when I have to drive and get the food. I paid once for the service to begin with I'm not paying twice. To say I don't relize? I relize putting food in a paper bag is not worth tipping. If you think it is you tip them. Lastly it is part of their job, they are not paid to stand around they are not going out of their way to server you or clean up after you.

smh

you would drive to dine in so driving is not part of the equation. I just explained to you that they do more for you to get your meal than your dine in server.

a dine in server is not paid to stand around, it is part of their job but you still tip them? I guess because you can't see what they have done so you can enjoy your meal it doesn't require a tip.

rkell87

Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4561078 said:
Anyone working must make at least the minimum wage. A server may make $2.13/hr, but if when their tips are added to this rate the total does not meet the minimum wage requirement, they will be supplemented to meet the minimum wage.

In other word, if a waiter did not make any tips during a pay period, they would be still paid the minimun wage.

it never happens

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
rkell87;4561082 said:
it never happens

I know, I was a resturant manager, waiter, bartender, host, etc...

But everyone makes at least makes minimum wage.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I worked as a waiter and as a bartender for 10+ years. If I had to do it all over again, I would've done something different. It was fun at times, but not real meaningful work when it comes to your career, unless you plan on working in sales someday.

Still, the pay rate is abysmal and depending on the state's tax structure, you can get really screwed over as a server. When I did it in NY, I made out pretty well for a high school kid. Then when I did it in South Carolina, I got hammered. I thought it was practically pointless to even be a server, better off getting a job that pays a little above minimum wage instead.

I used to always tip and tip handsomely. Now I tip pretty much at 20%. Like Lewis Black said...you should tip 20% because...it's easier to do the math :)

Should it be expected? No. But, if they do a very average job 20% should be expected. If not, then you really lack some class and some empathy. More often than not, it's not their fault the food takes forever or is not cooked properly, etc. And they are probably working a day where they've been stiffed and dealt with customers who probably should not be going to a restaurant to begin with.

So, I tip 20% as standard. If the service is below average (like what I got last night), I'll tip under that. I can't remember the last time I didn't tip, but I'm not afraid to. If the service is good...quick food, gets our order, is a pleasant server to deal with, then I tip more.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rkell87;4561081 said:
smh

you would drive to dine in so driving is not part of the equation. I just explained to you that they do more for you to get your meal than your dine in server.

a dine in server is not paid to stand around, it is part of their job but you still tip them? I guess because you can't see what they have done so you can enjoy your meal it doesn't require a tip.

I'm not tipping buger king because they put my food in a bag, I don't tip for putting my food in a plate I pay for the service. You can tip for what ever reason you choose

rkell87

Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4561090 said:
I know, I was a resturant manager, waiter, bartender, host, etc...

But everyone makes at least makes minimum wage.

no I'm saying that if a server some how doesn't come out to minimum wage, they will still not get adjusted to minimum wage. It just doesn't happen

rkell87

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4561095 said:
I'm not tipping buger king because they put my food in a bag, I don't tip for putting my food in a plate I pay for the service. You can tip for what ever reason you choose

:rolleyes: just admit you are cheap

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rkell87;4561097 said:
:rolleyes: just admit you are cheap

I won't because I'm not. I'm also not foolish with money. Do you tip the person at the register at the grocery store? How about the guy at the oil change place? You must have money to throw around, good for you.

You think it is a big deal putting over priced food in a bag I don't.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4561099 said:
I won't because I'm not. I'm also not foolish with money. Do you tip the person at the register at the grocery store? How about the guy at the oil change place? You must have money to throw around, good for you.

I agree..that's why I stated earlier that somewhere this got out of hand with customers expected to absorb most of their employees salary instead of tipping for excellent service instead of it just being expected

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
rkell87;4561096 said:
no I'm saying that if a server some how doesn't come out to minimum wage, they will still not get adjusted to minimum wage. It just doesn't happen

Yes it does. Any establishment not doing this would be subject to gross fines, most POS systems do it automatically. The thing is that all the tips they declare are and thier hourly rate are averaged through-out the whole pay period, and their tips and their hourly rate most often exceed the minimum wage.

rkell87

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4561099 said:

well I feel like a fool for typing out everything a to-go server has to do for your food thinking you might be enlightened, I see now that you are too dense to comprehend that more goes into your meal than "putting food in a bag" and that you believe that a guy getting paid 15$ an hour to change your oil and a person making at least federal minimum wage bagging your groceries is the same as someone making $2.13:rolleyes:

rkell87

Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4561105 said:
Yes it does. Any establishment not doing this would be subject to gross fines, most POS systems do it automatically. The thing is that all the tips they declare are and thier hourly rate are averaged through-out the whole pay period, and their tips and their hourly rate most often exceed the minimum wage.

when a group dashed on a $200+ tab and their tab came out of my tips I didn't average minimum wage that pay period and I didn't receive it back in my check, I have never known a server that didn't make minimum wage for a pay period and got compensated for it, it pretty much doesn't happen

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rkell87;4561109 said:
well I feel like a fool for typing out everything a to-go server has to do for your food thinking you might be enlightened, I see now that you are too dense to comprehend that more goes into your meal than "putting food in a bag" and that you believe that a guy getting paid 15$ an hour to change your oil and a person making at least federal minimum wage bagging your groceries is the same as someone making $2.13:rolleyes:

No your right it takes so much to put food in a bag, there is not a lot that goes into it. But hey maybe you had difficulty with it in your past I could see that. Oh that is right salt and pepper, some pre packaged plastic ware? Gosh how do they do it? :lmao2:

rkell87

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4561121 said:
No your right it takes so much to put food in a bag, there is not a lot that goes into it. But hey maybe you had difficulty with it in your past I could see that. Oh that is right salt and pepper, some pre packaged plastic ware? Gosh how do they do it? :lmao2:

i feel sorry for you

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
rkell87;4561109 said:
classy..:facepalm: