TO Forced to Apologize to Eagles & Teammates...*merge*

playit12

Reaction score
You know I just don't understand all of the TO hate. I think if you took a poll around here about which is the worse charecter player in the league he'd be near the top, and frankly that is insane.

You have guys like Little in St Louis who killed a family while drunk driving (not his first time driving drunk by the way) then get off with probation, only to be caught driving drunk again a few years later.

Or guys like Romo who bashed in the face of his own teamate during practice and was using steroids through most of his playing carreer?

How about McMichael who has already been arrested for beating his wife once, then was arrested again when several witnesses called the police when he hit his wife and threw her out of a car.

There are some seriously flawed people in the NFL, and TO is not at the top of the list.

TO is absolutely obsessed about being the best. He works out probably more than any other reciever in the league. He does everything he can to improve his game and come sunday he wants not just to beat the other team, but to demorilize anyone that attempts to stop him. He never resorts to violence, always keeping his emotions in check and improves his play instead. Ask any league official who the most dangerous recievers are in the league and TO is on the top 3.

Winners want the ball in their hands, and TO is no exception. When his team is winning you hardly hear anything out of him (See last year's good feelings for instance). When his team is loosing he wants to carry the load because he thinks he can. You may not like his way of conveying that, but you have to like the sentiment.

As for guys turning on their team or coaches mid year in the press, that is certainly not rare amongst Type A personalities. (See Keyshawn in Tampa, Terry Glenn with Parcells part 1, or for that matter Larry Allen). All guys who have devoted their entire working lives to football, who are going to spend their entire retirement popping pain pills and getting cortizone shots, and who spend about 6 months of the year completely away from their families. That's a lot of dedication for anyone to put forth, and when the organization is paying you 20 times as much as the average rookie, you feel an obligation to go above and beyond to fix problems.

Again... Yes he's a headcase... but you kind of have to be in that job. He's going to across the middle of the field for a first down knowing that Roy Williams might just break his neck on the next play. That takes a certainly degree of swager.

Oh and... so far... I think he's been right. McNabb did let his team down in the Superbowl, while TO played with a ton of heart. The Team is suffering now because McNabb can't get the ball out of the pocket. He's not entirely right about Farve, but then Farve is throwing to his 2nd and 4th recievers while handing off to his 3rd or 4th RB. So who knows how many of his 5 picks were where the guys were supposed to be.

I for one would take TO on my team if BP was the coach. BP will take a lot of crazy people so long as they want to win (LT and Key anyone?). Just look how vocal Key was with any other coach, and how good he has been with the Cowboys. BP listens to his players, he sets out rules, and he lives by his word. Type A personalities work well with that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
playit12 said:
You know I just don't understand all of the TO hate. I think if you took a poll around here about which is the worse charecter player in the league he'd be near the top, and frankly that is insane.

You have guys like Little in St Louis who killed a family while drunk driving (not his first time driving drunk by the way) then get off with probation, only to be caught driving drunk again a few years later.

Or guys like Romo who bashed in the face of his own teamate during practice and was using steroids through most of his playing carreer?

How about McMichael who has already been arrested for beating his wife once, then was arrested again when several witnesses called the police when he hit his wife and threw her out of a car.

There are some seriously flawed people in the NFL, and TO is not at the top of the list.

TO is absolutely obsessed about being the best. He works out probably more than any other reciever in the league. He does everything he can to improve his game and come sunday he wants not just to beat the other team, but to demorilize anyone that attempts to stop him. He never resorts to violence, always keeping his emotions in check and improves his play instead. Ask any league official who the most dangerous recievers are in the league and TO is on the top 3.

Winners want the ball in their hands, and TO is no exception. When his team is winning you hardly hear anything out of him (See last year's good feelings for instance). When his team is loosing he wants to carry the load because he thinks he can. You may not like his way of conveying that, but you have to like the sentiment.

As for guys turning on their team or coaches mid year in the press, that is certainly not rare amongst Type A personalities. (See Keyshawn in Tampa, Terry Glenn with Parcells part 1, or for that matter Larry Allen). All guys who have devoted their entire working lives to football, who are going to spend their entire retirement popping pain pills and getting cortizone shots, and who spend about 6 months of the year completely away from their families. That's a lot of dedication for anyone to put forth, and when the organization is paying you 20 times as much as the average rookie, you feel an obligation to go above and beyond to fix problems.

Again... Yes he's a headcase... but you kind of have to be in that job. He's going to across the middle of the field for a first down knowing that Roy Williams might just break his neck on the next play. That takes a certainly degree of swager.

Oh and... so far... I think he's been right. McNabb did let his team down in the Superbowl, while TO played with a ton of heart. The Team is suffering now because McNabb can't get the ball out of the pocket. He's not entirely right about Farve, but then Farve is throwing to his 2nd and 4th recievers while handing off to his 3rd or 4th RB. So who knows how many of his 5 picks were where the guys were supposed to be.

I for one would take TO on my team if BP was the coach. BP will take a lot of crazy people so long as they want to win (LT and Key anyone?). Just look how vocal Key was with any other coach, and how good he has been with the Cowboys. BP listens to his players, he sets out rules, and he lives by his word. Type A personalities work well with that.

Not for all the money in the world.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
This TO guy is something else........I sure hope the rumors he is coming to Big "D" is just a rumor.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
(playit12)So you condone him making a spectacle of the media/Philly org., and slamming a teammate? All the way to the point of where Philly is forced with a situation to suspend or release him.........

Shut up and play football....how freakin hard is it.

It's a privilege to play in the NFL!

playit12

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
So you condone him making a spectacle of the media/Philly org., and slamming a teammate? All the way to the point of where Philly is forced with a situation to suspend or release him.........

Football isn't just played for 3 hours on Sunday for these guys. They live and beath it. Look at Chad Johnson calling out DBs every week before the game. He's trying to get in their head. He wants them second guessing everything they do. He wants them completely afraid of being beat with every reporter watching their every move. TO plays his own mind games. He tries to call out his players to get them mad and motivated. Just watch him on the sidelines when McNabb starts hanging his head. TO is all over him, not to demoralize him (these guys are a bit stronger than that) but to get him pissed off. He's been "miked" up a few times and really he's not cussing them out. It actually sounds a bit strange because of the control. He sounds a lot like Randy Moss on the sidelines. It's not really my technique, but I've seen great coaches do it... (Parcells, Madden, Lambardi) though with more explicit language.

Who knows.. maybe it works... Maybe Hines Ward should get up in Big Ben's face sometimes and see if he can motivate him when he is playing bad. I've seen BP get up in Key's face a few times on the sidelines only to see Key come back on the field with a new focus and passion.

And really who are we, as the media audience, to criticize. This is only a story because we make it one. We can chance the chanel at any time. ESPN knows this... they put on the air what keeps our attention. After all... the NFL is an entertainment business.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
Were you not a Cowboys fan in the mid-late 90's when Irvin pulled all of his crap?

Cocaine, hookers, marijuana, wearing his fur coat to court.
The Cowboys ***** house.

He was our cancer back then.

The prank with the fake rape was the last straw, and everyone believed it because of all the stuff he had been caught doing.

That cost us in the playoffs that year.

We had just creamed the Vikings and looked invincible, then we lost, to Carolina I think, not sure.

I always find it amussing when ignorant fans compare TO to Irvin. Irvin was a screwup OFF THE FIELD, but not IN TH LOCKERROOM. Irvin never bad mouthed his own teammates. Irvin never half-a**ed it on the football field. Irvin never went to great lengths to criticize his own teammates.

Anyone that thinks TO (and his situation) is the same as Irvin (and his situation) is completely ignorant. Not saying the Irvin thing wasn't bad, but he wasn't a "Cancer" to the team. He was the OPPOSITE of TO in the lockerroom. Irvin was the lockerroom leader. When has TO EVER been called a "Leader"? NEVER.

And anyone that has been watching TO play the last few weeks KNOWS he's been playing half-a**ed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
A player getting suspended no doubt hurts their team but as a teammate or organization you treat no different than how you would treat an injury but when you have a player talking with the media ripping players on your team that creates a divide on a team. I also know that on a team of 53 players your going to have conflicts with personalities face it not all players are going to get a long but you don't go to the media with this, as many coaches have said "What goes on behind these doors, stays behind these doors” What TO is doing is the quickest way to tear a team apart.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I went home at lunch time and ESPNews is all over this. First the press was drilling Reid about the comments TO made in the interview and about suspending him. Reid said he is going to talk to TO. The asked him about the turmoil in the locker room because of this ... Reid said he would talk to the team.

Then, TO had a prepared statement apologizing for saying they were classless for not recognizing his 100th catch because the Eagles organization never recognizes player achievements. TO said (insert whine) "I didn't know until I was informed by the organization".

All I know is that I love it. Do we want the Eagles to win or lose Sunday? I want them to lose (I think, but they are playing the hated Deadskins .... I'm so confused ... but I digress) since we play them next. Maybe it will be the beginning of their downfall.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
playit12 said:
Football isn't just played for 3 hours on Sunday for these guys. They live and beath it. Look at Chad Johnson calling out DBs every week before the game. He's trying to get in their head. He wants them second guessing everything they do. He wants them completely afraid of being beat with every reporter watching their every move. TO plays his own mind games. He tries to call out his players to get them mad and motivated. Just watch him on the sidelines when McNabb starts hanging his head. TO is all over him, not to demoralize him (these guys are a bit stronger than that) but to get him pissed off. He's been "miked" up a few times and really he's not cussing them out. It actually sounds a bit strange because of the control. He sounds a lot like Randy Moss on the sidelines. It's not really my technique, but I've seen great coaches do it... (Parcells, Madden, Lambardi) though with more explicit language.

Who knows.. maybe it works... Maybe Hines Ward should get up in Big Ben's face sometimes and see if he can motivate him when he is playing bad. I've seen BP get up in Key's face a few times on the sidelines only to see Key come back on the field with a new focus and passion.

And really who are we, as the media audience, to criticize. This is only a story because we make it one. We can chance the chanel at any time. ESPN knows this... they put on the air what keeps our attention. After all... the NFL is an entertainment business.

There is a difference between talking smack about another teams DB and talking smack about your own QB.

Owens is bad for the team, IMO. His behavior eventually leads to discention (sp)amoungst the team, without fail, IMO. What he brings to the table does not out weigh what he disrupts IMO. Simply put, he's not worth the drama. It's a team game. Something that continues to get harder and harder to discern, IMO, year after year.

playit12

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
(playit12)So you condone him making a spectacle of the media/Philly org., and slamming a teammate? All the way to the point of where Philly is forced with a situation to suspend or release him.........

As for my condoning him... I really honestly don't hold it against him. I judge him by what he does on the field. If he plays hard and helps his team win then he's a good player.

For the off the field stuff I expect a player not to break the law and not to be completely immoral. As far as I'm aware he has never been arrested, never been accused of being a dead beat dad with 20 kids out of wedlock, never been involved in any domestic disputes, and never been accused of not being in a physical condition to do his job.

It's pretty no nonsense for me. What do you do on the field. As for "forcing his team to suspend him". They certainly do not have to suspend him for saying one of the players on his team isn't playing well. That's not exactly missing practice or punching a coach.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
playit12 said:

You made a compelling argument like a true FOTO (fan of T.O.). But there is one thing that distinguishes Owens from many of these examples.

Sometimes players don't care if they are model citizens off the field. Many players are not saints to their wives, drink and drive often, and take drugs. So most are not going to frown upon that type of behavior like we fans would.

They don't live in a vacuum. But when your antics cause distractions, disturb chemistry and affect the on-the-field progress, you better believe the teammates notice. You don't bad mouth your coach, the QB or the organization. That is bad for morale.

Beating your wife, taking drugs or driving drunk are more often than not viewed as separate and distinct to football.

Just think about the analogy to warfare. If a man can save my life on the battlefield, I probably don't care that he beats his wife, does drugs or committed a crime. And the end of the day, that person needs to cover my back. But a whining, complaining, inattentive and distracting soldier can bring down a whole unit and get someone killed.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
abersonc said:
well, he did smack on Donovan again yesterday -- he said the team would be 7-0 with Favre at QB.

Can a player talk about guys on other teams? Wouldn't that be a form of tampering?

Yea, cause the Farve of 2005 is capable of putting up 50 points on the Broncos.

...They have even more problems than Mcnabb/Owens

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Rack said:
I always find it amussing when ignorant fans compare TO to Irvin. Irvin was a screwup OFF THE FIELD, but not IN TH LOCKERROOM. Irvin never bad mouthed his own teammates. Irvin never half-a**ed it on the football field. Irvin never went to great lengths to criticize his own teammates.

Anyone that thinks TO (and his situation) is the same as Irvin (and his situation) is completely ignorant. Not saying the Irvin thing wasn't bad, but he wasn't a "Cancer" to the team. He was the OPPOSITE of TO in the lockerroom. Irvin was the lockerroom leader. When has TO EVER been called a "Leader"? NEVER.

And anyone that has been watching TO play the last few weeks KNOWS he's been playing half-a**ed.
That's fine, I think it ignorant when people can't see what Irvin did to his team.

They are compared to each other because they are both screwups.

He disrespected his teammates and let them down with his Miami "thug" "hood" crap, ... and the lockerroom split. Some supported him, some didn't.

Their actions were different, but they are both selfish.

I find it amusing that ignorant fans support Irvins actions.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
playit12 said:
As for my condoning him... I really honestly don't hold it against him. I judge him by what he does on the field. If he plays hard and helps his team win then he's a good player.

For the off the field stuff I expect a player not to break the law and not to be completely immoral. As far as I'm aware he has never been arrested, never been accused of being a dead beat dad with 20 kids out of wedlock, never been involved in any domestic disputes, and never been accused of not being in a physical condition to do his job.

It's pretty no nonsense for me. What do you do on the field. As for "forcing his team to suspend him". They certainly do not have to suspend him for saying one of the players on his team isn't playing well. That's not exactly missing practice or punching a coach.

I take it you've never played on a college level team for any sport...this kind of crap does not work or go well...it drags a team down from top to bottom...you get team division etc....

Absolutely unacceptable....his teammates should be ready to kick his arse from one end to the other.

It's a TEAM.........that concept or feel of a TEAM is obviously not understood...

playit12

Reaction score
Alexander said:
You made a compelling argument like a true FOTO (fan of T.O.). But there is one thing that distinguishes Owens from many of these examples.

Sometimes players don't care if they are model citizens off the field. Many players are not saints to their wives, drink and drive often, and take drugs. So most are not going to frown upon that type of behavior like we fans would.

They don't live in a vacuum. But when your antics cause distractions, disturb chemistry and affect the on-the-field progress, you better believe the teammates notice. You don't bad mouth your coach, the QB or the organization. That is bad for morale.

Beating your wife, taking drugs or driving drunk are more often than not viewed as separate and distinct to football.

Just think about the analogy to warfare. If a man can save my life on the battlefield, I probably don't care that he beats his wife, does drugs or committed a crime. And the end of the day, that person needs to cover my back. But a whining, complaining, inattentive and distracting soldier can bring down a whole unit and get someone killed.

I understand what you are saying, but my point is that when it comes to the field, I want to be throwing to TO. He can help me win games. The stuff I don't care about off the field is the crap the media reports. I mean do I really care if Brett Farve could be 7-0? Who cares. I'll go to my position meetings, I'll go to practice, and come Sunday I'll expect that everyone is ready to play. Things like Beating your wife or killing people keep you off the field on Sunday. So yeah, besides being a crappying thing to do... I don't want those guys on my team. Like BP said of Quincy... I can't rely on him. To... I know he'll be ready to play and he'll play well. That's good enough for me.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I think it's obvious playit has never played organized team sports before, and if he has he was the "TO" of the team.

You don't diss your teammates. PERIOD. Anyone that condones that behavior is, well I'll get banned if I finish that sentence so use your imagination.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Alexander said:

I can't believe what I am reading. :eek:

Driving drunk is OK, beating your wife is OK, taking drugs is OK, as long as you play good football and don't diss the QB.

:lmao2:

And again, the analogy to war, ... OH, I forgot, you're an *** soldier.

:lmao:

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Alexander said:

Well said. Its his antics and his attitude that no one likes. Hes so full of himself no one can stand him. hes had everything given to him up untill now, he does not even know how to ask for a raise. His tactics backfired and its gunna cost the city of Philadelphia. Their fans as so getting held up its not funny. (actually it is really funny, cause I hate TO and Philly eagirls). But hes not a man of any morals or honor. His only priority in his life is him. Thats not a role model, that not a solid citizen and thats not a team player.

playit12

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I take it you've never played on a college level team for any sport...this kind of crap does not work or go well...it drags a team down from top to bottom...you get team division etc....

Absolutely unacceptable....his teammates should be ready to kick his arse from one end to the other.

It's a TEAM.........that concept or feel of a TEAM is obviously not understood...

I'm not dismissing the importance of team, but I actually think it's weight decreases as the level improves. These guys are professionals. There is a certain degree of unity between positional groups, but I don't seriously think that Dat is drinking beers with Keyshawn after the game. You have 53 guys at the start of the season... by season's end that number is more like 65 and by the start of the next season as much as a third of your roster could have turned over. The following year you might be playing for another team 1000 miles away.

College ball you have players locked in to that school (less they have to sit out a year). You are also bonding with those players off the field being in very similar circumstances and being forced together off the field as well as on.

High school ball is even worse, where chances are you've known these guys for 16 years.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Here it is:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/04/AR2005110400169.html

PHILADELPHIA -- Terrell Owens apologized to the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday, one day after blasting the organization for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch two weeks ago.

"I've had an opportunity to talk with the Eagles organization and I have learned that the team does not recognize individual achievements," Owens said in a prepared statement. "It has been brought to my attention that I have offended the organization and my teammates. Therefore, I would like to apologize for any derogatory comments toward them."

Shortly before Owens' apology, coach Andy Reid didn't rule out suspending the All-Pro wideout following his latest comments, which included more criticism of quarterback Donovan McNabb.

"I take care of those things in-house," Reid said. "I obviously will address the player and those people I need to talk to and work this thing out."

It's unlikely Owens would be suspended now that he's apologized.

In an interview with ESPN.com on Thursday, Owens took shots at the team and McNabb. He made his 100th career TD reception in a victory over San Diego on Oct. 23, but the accomplishment was not acknowledged on the video screen.

"That right there just shows you the type of class and integrity that they claim not to be," said Owens, who became the sixth receiver in NFL history to reach the milestone. "They claim to be first class and the best organization. It's an embarrassment. It just shows a lack of class they have. My publicist talked to the head PR guy, and they made an excuse they didn't recognize that was coming up. But that was a blatant lie. Had it been somebody else, they probably would have popped fireworks around the stadium."

Owens also said the Eagles (4-3) would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre at quarterback.

"A number of commentators will say he's a warrior, he's played with injuries," Owens said of Favre. "I feel like him being knowledgeable about the quarterback position, I feel like we'd probably be in a better situation."

Owens and McNabb feuded throughout the summer and didn't speak to each other for a prolonged period. McNabb, a five-time Pro Bowl quarterback who helped the Eagles win the NFC championship last season, has played through several injuries this season, including a sports hernia that will require surgery.

Owens has 47 catches for 763 yards and six TDs in seven games. He's been upset with the Eagles since management refused to redo his contract just one season into the seven-year, $48.97 million deal he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004.