TO Forced to Apologize to Eagles & Teammates...*merge*

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
DBoys said:
Irvin was worse hands down.

It is not surprising that he and Owens get along. They are remarkably similar. It is just that Owens has a little less respect for his team and is more of a mercenary. But if Irvin played in an era of active free agency, you might be amazed at how close the two are.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Another one of the fakest apologies again.....when you have to read a "prepared statement" you KNOW you don't mean it.

I'll guarantee the teams upper management is threatening cut cut some funds off.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
Were you not a Cowboys fan in the mid-late 90's when Irvin pulled all of his crap?

Cocaine, hookers, marijuana, wearing his fur coat to court.
The Cowboys ***** house.

He was our cancer back then.

At least I can understand why you'd want to be involved with cocaine, hookers, and marijuana.

TO's stuff I just don't get. He signed the freaking contract in '04 -- how can he want a new deal?

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
You are a homer, but I love it !

He was suspended for drug use, that hurt the team.

Irvin was a cancer.

I am sure there were issues with him in the locker-room too, especially with the guys that weren't doing the things that the media, America and the NFL in general were accusing ALL of the Cowboys of doing.

His actions were selfish.

That whole mess hurt the Dallas Cowboys image as well.

Yes I am a homer :D ...I'm also aware of all Irvins issues and what he did to the face of the franchise, BUT in my mind he never tried demean the team and purposely drag other players down in the way TO is. When someone puts themselves above their team....they have gone way to far.

YEs I know Irvin flat out screwed up...not a debate, my point is TO is willing to take a team down with him. Never do I remember Irvin saying or doing things about Troy that TO is doing to McFlabb....

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
abersonc said:
At least I can understand why you'd want to be involved with cocaine, hookers, and marijuana.

TO's stuff I just don't get. He signed the freaking contract in '04 -- how can he want a new deal?

What is your point ?

It is still wrong, and it hurt your team.

Some people don't do that stuff, and don't understand why others do.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
Yes I am a homer :D ...I'm also aware of all Irvins issues and what he did to the face of the franchise, BUT in my mind he never tried demean the team and purposely drag other players down in the way TO is. When someone puts themselves above their team....they have gone way to far.

YEs I know Irvin flat out screwed up...not a debate, my point is TO is willing to take a team down with him. Never do I remember Irvin saying or doing things about Troy that TO is doing to McFlabb....
His selfish actions took the team down.

Seems a lot like TO to me.

But I understand what you are saying.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:

I agree completely. Irvins problems were NOT DIRECTLY football related as TO's issues ALWAYS have been.

Like Irvin said, he kept that stuff to the off-season.

TO has never had a QB that he DID like.

gbrittain

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Like Patrick really knows people close to the team.

For real, what are the chances that one the most well known sports media figures working for the most well known sports channel in the world would know people close to the team. :rolleyes:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
I agree completely. Irvins problems were NOT DIRECTLY football related as TO's issues ALWAYS have been.

Like Irvin said, he kept that stuff to the off-season.

TO has never had a QB that he DID like.
Looking at it from an owners standpoint, or a coaches standpoint, I think I would rather deal with TO's issues.
Because I could. It is still under my control.

With Irvin, the cops were involved, the FBI was involved, the lawyers, judges, and courts were involved.

It would be out of my hands.
Irvin just couldn't apologize and move on.

I absolutely HATED Irvin at that time for doing what he did to the Cowboys.

I have forgiven and moved on, but I still hated that time of being a fan.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
His selfish actions took the team down.

Seems a lot like TO to me.

But I understand what you are saying.

I undertand what you are saying as well....it's really not a debate on what Irvin did...really not, but I feel he never intentionally tried to harm the team/organization on purpose...I really feel that.

TO...is blasting McFlabb, and basically saying he does not want to play in the division games because he needs to prove a personal point. Basically he's willing to drag down the entire Philly organization to benefit himself.

I hope it back fires and that Philly suspends or releases him. I will respect that front office more for doing that.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
What is your point ?

It is still wrong, and it hurt your team.

Some people don't do that stuff, and don't understand why others do.

Irvin hurt the team -- but it wasn't because he was a bad teammate or cause problems in the locker room - he was doing stuff that a ton of guys on the team were doing. Irvin got caught and he hurt the team with his 5 game suspension. But the team was already on the way down for a ton of other reasons.

TO is constant source of problems with his attitude and bad mouthing of the organization. He's complaining about his deal -- a deal he chose to sign - he had all the leverage in the world and got a good deal - now a year later he wants another one? Crazy.

I think you are more upset with Irvin because of the moral issues involved -- me, I think adults should be allowed to smoke grass and snort coke if they choose to.

lspain1

Reaction score
Alexander said:
It is not surprising that he and Owens get along. They are remarkably similar. It is just that Owens has a little less respect for his team and is more of a mercenary. But if Irvin played in an era of active free agency, you might be amazed at how close the two are.

It is interesting that Irvin and TO get along so well. I really think you have a good point. I also believe that Mr. Irvin is not dumb and intends to make himself a success in his new persona as a sports color analyst. He has gone a long way to doing just that by making some controversial stands and getting some controversial players as friends. Michael is being crazy like a fox with this and making hay while the sun shines.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I undertand what you are saying as well....it's really not a debate on what Irvin did...really not, but I feel he never intentionally tried to harm the team/organization on purpose...I really feel that.

TO...is blasting McFlabb, and basically saying he does not want to play in the division games because he needs to prove a personal point. Basically he's willing to drag down the entire Philly organization to benefit himself.

I hope it back fires and that Philly suspends or releases him. I will respect that front office more for doing that.
Believe me I am no TO fan.

But I do admire certain things about him.

He is awesome at what he does, and expects everyone around him to play at that level too.

I have met really smart people who don't have much patience for those that aren't.

He must think McNabb is soft, or weak, or not as talented as others do.

He does go about it wrong though.

I also gained a little respect for him when they played the Squeelers last year in Pitts. and they were getting killed, and Hines Ward scored (again) and did TO's latest endzone dance, ... they showed TO on the sidelines, dejected and defeated, but as he saw that on the big screen, he grinned because he still understood that what he dishes out he is going to have to take as well.

I don't want him on my team, and I think he needs to shut up and do things different.

But he is not Satan or anything.

cowheel

Reaction score
T.O. is beeyotchin' Philly.

Philly has for years been a franchise that supposedly would never have put up with the crap that this cat is dishin' out.

Clowning the face of the franchise, cursin' out coaches, bad mouthing the front office, making the team look terrible.

But as long as he's cathing those TDs - I guess it's all good.

He's turning the franchise into a laughing stock (or should i say MORE OF a laughing stock?).

If the Eagles had the slightest confidence that they could make it to the bowl without him, he would have been gone - cap hit or no cap hit.
They're so desperate for a trophy that they're kissin' every bit of his arse to get one- despite the fact they won' pay him.

I have lost what little respect I had for that organization.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
We had just creamed the Vikings and looked invincible, then we lost, to Carolina I think, not sure.
Lost to Carolina with Kerry Collins at QB, but remember, Michael Irvin went down in the first quarter of that game and was in street clothes for the second half. Defense played admirably in that game but the offense just wasn't the same without Michael. It had nothing to do with the off the field crap.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
Lost to Carolina with Kerry Collins at QB, but remember, Michael Irvin went down in the first quarter of that game and was in street clothes for the second half. Defense played admirably in that game but the offense just wasn't the same without Michael. It had nothing to do with the off the field crap.
The Star was tarnished, and everyone was sick about it, ... owner, coach, every player and every fan.

I don't think we would have won with Irvin, we looked flat.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
TO vs Irvin:

Owens is a great player once he has the ball in his hands, other than that he is useful only as a decoy IMO. He drops way too many passes, loses concentration on the game if he isn't the focus of the offense, can be an awesome blocker when he wants to be but unfortunately that isn't very often, and goes out of his way to be a distraction and bring division to any team he plays for.

Irvin was an outstanding receiver and a very effective blocker until the later years of his career when he stopped doing it very often. He also had times when he would not be into the game, again this was later in his career. In his prime he was one of the best WRs in the game and was a threat on every play. Irvin took every opportunity to draw attention to himself both on and off the field with his 1st down antics and the way he dressed.

I never liked Michael Irvin and still don't. When he got busted for drugs and hookers he never seemed to be repentant for anything except that he got caught. The fact that he got busted later for the same thing showed that indeed he did not change. What he did to his wife and family through all of that stuff, not to mention to his teammates, and then didn't have the character or integrity to make changes in his life was what truly galled me.

Irvin most defintely hurt this team just as TO has hurt his teams, the difference to me is that Irvin's teammates, his QB in particular, stood behind him all along while Owens has alienated his teammates, in particular his QBs, at every turn.

They are very much alike which is why Irvin likes Owens so much. I don't like either guy and would never want a player like Owens, Moss, or Irvin on my Cowboys team regardless of how talented they are.

Michael did a lot of great things for us on the field but ultimately he hurt us just as much and his legacy will continue to affect this team for many years to come. Maybe that's a good thing in that we will avoid like the plague any player who resembles his ilk in the future.

I know many here will call me crazy and question my loyalty to the team but my loyalty IS to this TEAM and not to the individual players. I rooted like crazy for the guys I liked and wished we had never signed guys like Irvin or Deion no matter what they did for us because IMO they disgraced the uniform they wore. Just my opinion.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
...Following Friday's practice, head coach Andy Reid would not comment on remarks made by outspoken receiver Terrell Owens Thursday night in which the player was critical of both quarterback Donovan McNabb and the organization. Instead, Reid said he will handle things in-house.

Shortly after Reid finished addressing the media, Owens himself walked to the podium and read a three-sentence statement.

"I've had an opportunity to talk with the Eagles organization and I have learned that the team does not recognize individual achievements. "It has been brought to my attention that I have offended the organization and my teammates. Therefore, I would like to apologize for any derogatory comments toward them."

PT...this has got to frustrate you as a fan......

I for one...want the best Philly team on the field and beat them that way...that's just the way I am. When we face you guys in a week and a half...who knows how McNabb will be...will TO be playing...or better yet on the team??? Sucks for you.

Don't get me wrong hate the Iggles...and always will :D , but I do want them to put the best team on the field, so there are not excuses as we take the NFC back....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Guess you weren't around for the Michael Irvin saga here in Dallas. How we won with all the distractions he caused off the field, I will never know. He was not this bad and it was not anamosity towards his team, but he created many a worried night in the cowboy nation.

I have never liked TO and would glady proclaim myself his biggest detractor. I think him and Philly was a marrage made in heaven. Couldn't have happened to two nicer parties. Lets see what team next he gets to tear apart next season. I am sure it will NOT be Dallas.

No doubt Mike hurt the Cowboys but this is about a player who has constantly ripped his teammates and at times his organization. When a player does this it has a tendency to rip a team apart.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
The Star was tarnished, and everyone was sick about it, ... owner, coach, every player and every fan.

Tarnished yes -- but by Irvin alone -- no.

Williams chose to drive drunk and ruin his knee in an accident. Leon Lett chose to use drugs during the season (something Irvin never got caught doing) and got suspended over and over. Jerry chose to take offense to Jimmy slighting him and brought in Bozo Switzer to coach us – to prove a point rather than to win. Jerry chose to play GM and botched draft after draft.

The false rape charges were unfortunate -- but I seem to remember that was more about one of Williams' stripper friends being upset with him. She just threw Irvin's name in to make a better story.