TO Forced to Apologize to Eagles & Teammates...*merge*

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
The Eagles are so claseless.
How can you not do celebrations for his 100th TD?

How is that day not a holiday in America?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
MI and TO are such different kettles of fish that I find it hard to compare them.

Of course, MI's behavior hurt his teammates, owner, fans, family, and himself.

But Irvin's excesses were self-indulgent and immature off field misadventures..not self glorifying, egocentric whining, exhibitionism, and finger pointing at team-mates.

MI was a charismatic reveler in the Broadway Joe mode and his partying symbolized the snorting 80's and early 90's as much as Namath's Johnny Walker Red, blondes, and ** Manchu did the late 60's. Unfortunately with Irvin, the partying crossed into illegal substances and ladies of ill repute.

But Irvin was for, about, and with his team. The kind of obvious affection Aikman holds for him stems from the bond of brotherhood forged on the field. Irvin celebrated life, celebrated it too much. We know TO celebrates only himself...and there is no sense of joy in his showboating, only narcissism and compulsion. When you watched Irvin act up in the end zone, you smiled in spite of yourself. TO's exhibitionism incites pity.

Irvin's displays were celebration of youth, athleticism, and team spirit; TO's merely glorification of the self, chest thumping parodies of the thrill of sports.

In my mind, when TO launched those post-49er attacks on Jeff Garcia, he marked himself far beyond the pale of ANY athlete in my memory. He demonstrated a basic lack of empathy for a fellow professional athlete that was shocking in it callousness. In his me-focused cocoon, how could the embarassment to Garcia measure up to the opportunity to make a headline? Really, TO demonstrates no empathy for anyone. I wouldn't bat an eyelash to hear some shrink diagnose him a full blown psychopath.

I just saw Woody a few moments ago on ESPN say no player should ever compare his QB to another one as TO did McNabb and Favre. Darren, this is a guy who for no reason other than his own self aggrandizement and publicity seeking, several times publically claimed his ex qb was 'gay'. Incensed that his time with Garcia hadn't equaled Payton to Harrison, and Marvin's numbers were sexier, TO's chosen form of hissy fitting was an ongoing, uncalled for, unsubstantiated homophobic rant.

And Woody expects him to resist the opportunity to go off on McNabb again? (Darren recommended "just say 'no comment. Like TO has anything like the self control to pass up a free shot?)

That sort of behavior would be incomprehensible to Irvin, a stand-up-guy. He may taunt or tease Key and Terry that they are not 'number one receivers" for controversy's sake, but would he ever, did he ever, disrespect his teammates?

Anyway, one was for and of his team no matter what his personal weaknesses. The other only about himself no matter what. Irvin was a fallen angel, a celebrated 'bad boy' whose character flaws stemmed from an excess of buoyancy and the misguided notion of most young people that they are immortal. He represented the late 20th century superstar athlete to the T - the negatives as well as the positives.

Owens is the devil of post-industrial age individualism come home to roost in athletics, a blast at the very core of unity, and a slap in the face at the fundamental collectivist values that make team sports 'work'.

Sick pup...seek help.

playit12

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Well said. Its his antics and his attitude that no one likes. Hes so full of himself no one can stand him. hes had everything given to him up untill now, he does not even know how to ask for a raise. His tactics backfired and its gunna cost the city of Philadelphia. Their fans as so getting held up its not funny. (actually it is really funny, cause I hate TO and Philly eagirls). But hes not a man of any morals or honor. His only priority in his life is him. Thats not a role model, that not a solid citizen and thats not a team player.

His antics are only making news because the team is loosing. Like last year, if they were winning no one would hear a thing. TO's antics are absolutely NOT the reason the Eagles suck this year. McNabb can't even throw across his body, and he certainly can't avoid a pass rush. The eagles defense is shoddy and riddled with injuries, and the offensive line has performed so poorly that the O couldn't run even if they did actually put some plays in the book.

Kilyin

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
Were you not a Cowboys fan in the mid-late 90's when Irvin pulled all of his crap?

Cocaine, hookers, marijuana, wearing his fur coat to court.
The Cowboys ***** house.

He was our cancer back then.

The prank with the fake rape was the last straw, and everyone believed it because of all the stuff he had been caught doing.

That cost us in the playoffs that year.

We had just creamed the Vikings and looked invincible, then we lost, to Carolina I think, not sure.

In some people's eyes Irvin could do no wrong. He was literally a pimp playing wide receiver. Irvin and TO would probably be like Frick and Frack if they had played in the same era, especially with the salary cap and free agency. Just look at them now. ;)

ravidubey

Reaction score
For the Eagles to say they do not recognize individual accomplishments is stupid. TO was right, he just should not have said it aloud over the airwaves.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's amazing to me that some people think that what a player does between the lines is all that matters. That if you're big and strong and fast, you get a pass to do be as bad a teammate as you like off the field. Makes me think those people don't understand team dynamics or, for that matter, human nature at all.

Or maybe they were just huge TO fans to start with, and now have to scramble to claim that what he does is no big deal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
playit12 said:
I understand what you are saying, but my point is that when it comes to the field, I want to be throwing to TO. He can help me win games. The stuff I don't care about off the field is the crap the media reports. I mean do I really care if Brett Farve could be 7-0? Who cares. I'll go to my position meetings, I'll go to practice, and come Sunday I'll expect that everyone is ready to play. Things like Beating your wife or killing people keep you off the field on Sunday. So yeah, besides being a crappying thing to do... I don't want those guys on my team. Like BP said of Quincy... I can't rely on him. To... I know he'll be ready to play and he'll play well. That's good enough for me.

You don't at the expense of 52 other players. Philly was a team who was winning before TO got there, no doubt his play makes them better but now his actions are starting to effect this team in a negitive way.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
I can't believe what I am reading. :eek:

Driving drunk is OK, beating your wife is OK, taking drugs is OK, as long as you play good football and don't diss the QB.

:lmao2:

And again, the analogy to war, ... OH, I forgot, you're an *** soldier.

:lmao:

No, that's not how I inturpreted what was said. What I understood the post to say is that off the field incidents, basically, stay off the field. From a team perspective, there not viewed as harsly as on field transgretions. I don't think that it was ever elluded as a situation where the poster said it was more acceptable or condonable. He simply explained the mind set of the NFL IMO. Further, I would agree with him. I do believe that it's viewed as such, in the NFL, to a great extent.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
It's amazing to me that some people think that what a player does between the lines is all that matters. That if you're big and strong and fast, you get a pass to do be as bad a teammate as you like off the field. Makes me think those people don't understand team dynamics or, for that matter, human nature at all.

Or maybe they were just huge TO fans to start with, and now have to scramble to claim that what he does is no big deal.
Read the first paragraph, and the second fits.

Then reread the second and strike out TO and insert MI and it stll fits.

Both of their selfishness hurt their teams.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Put that down for another one of the fakest apologies in sports.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
playit12 said:
I'm not dismissing the importance of team, but I actually think it's weight decreases as the level improves. These guys are professionals. There is a certain degree of unity between positional groups, but I don't seriously think that Dat is drinking beers with Keyshawn after the game. You have 53 guys at the start of the season... by season's end that number is more like 65 and by the start of the next season as much as a third of your roster could have turned over. The following year you might be playing for another team 1000 miles away.

College ball you have players locked in to that school (less they have to sit out a year). You are also bonding with those players off the field being in very similar circumstances and being forced together off the field as well as on.

High school ball is even worse, where chances are you've known these guys for 16 years.

That's not how it works....I'm not going to explain it to you...you won't understand.

I played division 1 ball for four years...in the first few months...in practice you develop team chemistry....you fight and battle together. You have each others back....unless you've been there and bleed together...you have no clue.

If a player pulls this crap...he gets his arse beat....and I'm not lying about that...i've been square in the middle of that. You don't cross that line.

TO is WAY out of bounds calling out the organization and team mates....period!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

Your right but there is a differance in that with Irvin his teammates still supported him and stood behind him. I don't think you will find many eagle players who are supporting TO and his actions.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

Well, both of these guys are human and they both are pron to mistakes unlike yourself. :cool:

playit12

Reaction score
Rack said:
I think it's obvious playit has never played organized team sports before, and if he has he was the "TO" of the team.

You don't diss your teammates. PERIOD. Anyone that condones that behavior is, well I'll get banned if I finish that sentence so use your imagination.

Thanks for the personal jab there Rack. I have played organized team sports and I was fairly good. I certainly was not the TO. I was the Hines Ward. I never disagreed with the coach, I always did the dirty work, and I'd rather get the assist than the point. I certainly would have never dissed my teamates and was loyal to a fault.

But we aren't talking about me or my old teams.

I did have players like TO on my teams, however I'm a smart guy. I ignored them. Just like everyone else should be ignoring him. There is absolutely no doubt the guy isn't worth listening too. The comment in Playboy Magazine about Garcia was more than enough proof of that. But with regards to his "antics" they are just words. How little maturity does it take just to ignore the rantings of a spoiled baby? At the end of the day he is a fighter and a winner and that's what I want on my team. I don't have to like him. I want to win.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Your right but there is a differance in that with Irvin his teammates still supported him and stood behind him. I don't think you will find many eagle players who are supporting TO and his actions.
Not all of them, who was there for him?

Aikman? .. yes.

Who else, was there another one?

Mayb, I forget.

But don't say "his teammates still supported him" meaning ALL of them.

Kilyin

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Leon Lett chose to use drugs during the season (something Irvin never got caught doing) and got suspended over and over. .

Along with QB Troy Aikman and RB Emmitt Smith, Irvin led the Cowboys to three Super Bowl titles in four years. But for all his on-field accomplishments, Irvin also will be remembered for some serious off-field incidents, including an arrest in a motel-room drug bust and what came to be called "Scissorsgate," in which Irvin cut the neck of a teammate during a scuffle over a haircut.

He was caught redhanded with drugs and hookers. He got suspended for 5 games and probably cost us the 96 season. Drug tests don't really tell the whole story, but how is what Irvin did any better than Lett?

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
TO can't even get another player to congratulate him on a TD catch.

It's a small thing, yet it speaks volumes.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

Aikman? .. yes.

Mayb, I forget.

Well, I suppose we can wait and see if McNappie shows up at the side of TO.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

Aikman? .. yes.

Mayb, I forget.

I think him and Emmitt

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Are people honestly backing TO in this?

Oh my goodness. He came out against ANOTHER PLAYER.....AGAIN!