Tom Brady suspended for four games

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Can't really prove it - a better analysis would be players who left NE and how they fared in subsequent seasons. This could simply reflect that Beli has zero tolerance for fumbling players.

The study has been widely criticized by the statistics community.

Not that it matters.

If you cheat but you do so in a manner that isn't effective...you were still cheating. You're just bad at it.

fan62

Reaction score
The point isn't that it was "only deflating balls."

The point is that they cheated. Cheaters are supposed to be disqualified. We learn that from an early age. Makes me sick that these twice over cheaters have won 4 Super Bowls. Their win against the Colts should be taken away, plain and simple. It won't ever happen, but that's what should happen. I don't care how much they won by.

So to me, a 4 game suspension and losing a 1st rounder and 4th rounder is a slap on the wrist.

If I could just cheat the rules but win a Super Bowl, I'll give up my 1st rounder every season.

Have to agree! Because the balls were deflated only on NE's sideline, it affects more than just his passes. It helps the receivers catch the ball easier, it helps the runners hang on to the ball. It helps the center control the ball on the snap...etc
This punishment should have been a lot worse.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'd guess the draft pick is reduced, not the suspension. Four games does not sound excessive. Maybe a bit more than people were expecting, but the 1st round pick wasn't even on people's radars I don't think.

The draft pick and fine, I expect to hold. Brady's suspension will be the "battleground".

There is just no way I see them keeping him suspended through the Dallas game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The draft pick and fine, I expect to hold. Brady's suspension will be the "battleground".

There is just no way I see them keeping him suspended through the Dallas game.
The arbitration appeal won't likely reduce anything. It would be an appeal to the courts that would reduce anything, and the only thing the NFLPA has been winning on in that regard is the lack of precedent in the domestic violence context. There is, however, precedent for a 4 game suspension for cheating.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Cheap price to pay for improving your odds of winning a Superbowl.

No kidding......

All this did was encourage teams to cheat. What a cheap price to pay to get a title.......Especially since this franchise has a history of cheating.

Goodell has been bought by the Giants and Pats for years. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised the Pats got the equivalent of a speeding ticket:mad:

fan62

Reaction score
Can't really prove it - a better analysis would be players who left NE and how they fared in subsequent seasons. This could simply reflect that Beli has zero tolerance for fumbling players.

I understand those stats are out there and those players numbers did go up when they left NE. Number of dropped passes by former NE also was up, from what I read.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Well jerry already said he would give up a 1 st rounder for a shot at the Super Bowl . Ball boys release that air!

lmao....that was good!

(stupid cowboy fans)

bb721

Reaction score
A small slap on the hand with a feather as far as I am concerned.
Should be a lot more suspension. for Brady and the Coaching staff.http://i9.***BLOCKED***/albums/a92/radar69/Cheaters_zpsrvelucrv.jpg
I'm not defending the Patriots at all, but I think the lack of fumbling thing is overblown. More than any other coach in the league Bill Belichick with bench a player who fumbles. If Demarco Murray played for the Patriots last year, with his fumbling issues, his butt would have been on the bench at some point. Players there learn that they hold on to the ball or they sit, it's that simple.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It actually hasn't been established that deflating the ball affects the game. Hasn't been established that the difference between 12.5 and 11 psi is meaningful.

It has been established that if you beat women, that you are a POS though.

It is intentionally cheating. Why do it if it doesn't matter?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Isn't this the third offense?

Wasn't there recording practices, listening to the other teams mics and now this? Or was the listening fiasco never proven?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I understand those stats are out there and those players numbers did go up when they left NE. Number of dropped passes by former NE also was up, from what I read.

Show us - don't just randomly cite something that may be of no value

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm not defending the Patriots at all, but I think the lack of fumbling thing is overblown. More than any other coach in the league Bill Belichick with bench a player who fumbles. If Demarco Murray played for the Patriots last year, with his fumbling issues, his butt would have been on the bench at some point. Players there learn that they hold on to the ball or they sit, it's that simple.

the fumbling has actually been undersold. the chance of it being random is in the 10,000 to 1 range

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Four games is about what I expected for Brady all along but once the NFLPA finishes appealing, it could easily be reduced to 2 or 3 games. Basically, not too much more than a slap on the wrist.

Zordon

Reaction score
like I said previously, Judge Mara will hear the appeal and reduce the suspension to 3 games.

meanwhile we got stuck with that 10 million dollar penalty for re-working Miles Austin's deal....no sympathy was shown towards us or the Skins.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Greg Hardy gets basically a 25 game suspension (15 last year, 10 this year) for no conviction. Brady, knowingly has cheated for years, on 2 different occasions, gets 4 games.

Get bent, Goodell.

Totally agree. Brady's verdict should have been harsher. Thats still nothing more than a slap on the wrist compared to what Hardy got. Its amazing that Hardy got suspended with two teams - Carolina and Dallas. Why are teams being punished for a case that was thrown out? It should have been nothing more than a fine.

cej757

Reaction score
Somebody better hold Teddy Bruschi back because he's about to go nuts on ESPN in a few.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The study has been widely criticized by the statistics community.

Not that it matters.

If you cheat but you do so in a manner that isn't effective...you were still cheating. You're just bad at it.

not really. only by Patriot backers. he amended his numbers to include more teams and they were still off the charts.

the guys at 538 also did a study and it was bad news for the Pats.