Trade Deadline Approaching. Will Dallas make a move

plymkr

Reaction score
I’m not advocating for this nor do I want it to happen. But what would the cap ramifications be if we traded Martin either this season or after this season. Not suggesting it but just curious about the numbers.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You trade for him knowing he will only be here for the rest of this season. As a free agent he will be too expensive for Dallas.
I don't see the point in trading for a rental unless you're a legit SB contender. That seems more hopeful than realistic at this point. It's just giving away assets.

The Cowboys are looking like a wild card team, at best. There's nothing to suggest they're going to go on a run and win three road playoff games. Just hope.

Gambit

Reaction score
How would the team swing it?
Cowboys have 2024 picks 1-4, and no.7; expected to get two 6th round compensation picks for McGovern and Schultz.
Or - going player swap could be the plan...then who?
We don't have a 4th that was traded for Lance, I believe we still have the 7th

GoldenR

Reaction score
You could make a case we need help at every defensive position at the deadline. Could use 5 new starters if we can find them. Go Jerry.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sure the gulf is bigger. But we can’t swap out Jerry for John Lynch or MM for Shanahan. Loading up on draft picks and getting a little lucky is the only path toward improvement. Resigning all our favorite pet cats for big money is a path to early playoff exits.
We can’t simply move on from our best players to stockpile draft picks. You’ve got fans wanting to trade away Parsons for two or three rolls of the dice in the draft. The same with CeeDee. Good luck coming up with better players than them. The Cowboys have a talented team but they’re still not getting good enough coaching and our QB play is getting worse. This new offensive scheme isn’t working. Our redzone issues are at an all-time worse and we’re not making enough plays down the field. Unless the Joneses change how they run this team, it’s not going to get any better no matter what players we add. I think as long as Jerry is around the Cowboys will continue to spin their wheels. Maybe once he passes on Stephen will try a different approach instead of going down the same road to failure his father has for the past 30 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
You ever notice when people complain about that, they are the most triggered people on the planet? I'll answer for you, HELL YES
You ever notice the difference between complaining and commenting?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we are doing nothing, nothing...except fire the coach and OC and then we are going to bring in the miracle worker to fix the "problem'

tomokawan

Reaction score
Don’t worry. Even if by some miracle we manage to actually cash in on a player for a change, I’m sure Dak and company can still manage a wild card spot and quick playoff exit to satisfy fans like you. The rest of us saw a team that didn’t belong on the same field as SF. They saw a team better than us at every level. We have 2 guys who could start for them. That’s the gulf we have to bridge and you can’t do it by resigning your pet cat players to huge contracts. You need a lot of draft picks.
We are 3-2. Think with your head and not your heart. There is no magical formula to make the Cowboys suddenly be as good the 49ers. What is your 2-3 year plan????

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't see the point in trading for a rental unless you're a legit SB contender. That seems more hopeful than realistic at this point. It's just giving away assets.

The Cowboys are looking like a wild card team, at best. There's nothing to suggest they're going to go on a run and win three road playoff games. Just hope.
I am not disagreeing and I am not advocating trading for him, I was only responding to a question of why someone might make a deal for him now. Teams to make trades for players before the deadline giving away draft picks because they think the player they get will get them over the hump.

Jipper

Reaction score
Do not trade for anyone unless it's with a player - were going to need all the draft capital we have left next year

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are 3-2. Think with your head and not your heart. There is no magical formula to make the Cowboys suddenly be as good the 49ers. What is your 2-3 year plan????
We are 3-2 and trending down. We have only beaten bad teams. The fact we can’t just become suddenly as good as SF is exactly why we should be sellers in this market. We have to get out Daks contract and stockpile draft picks for the future. There is no point continuing down this road which we know leads to an early playoff exit at best. I’m actually the one thinking with my head. Fans like you who think there is any point in this charade are thinking with their hearts and not their heads. You are in good company. Jerry has been building teams for 27 years with lots of positive thinking and hope.

tomokawan

Reaction score
We are 3-2 and trending down. We have only beaten bad teams. The fact we can’t just become suddenly as good as SF is exactly why we should be sellers in this market. We have to get out Daks contract and stockpile draft picks for the future. There is no point continuing down this road which we know leads to an early playoff exit at best. I’m actually the one thinking with my head. Fans like you who think there is any point in this charade are thinking with their hearts and not their heads. You are in good company. Jerry has been building teams for 27 years with lots of positive thinking and hope.
What is your plan??? Sellers at 3-2 is dumb as hell.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is your plan??? Sellers at 3-2 is dumb as hell
Well, I don’t make the nfl trade deadlines. Adding to this team right now is adding furniture to the titanic. We have to offload Dak and rebuild through the draft. Sorry you don’t get it. I’ve probably been watching this mess a lot longer than you.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Immediate impact would be a WR or every down RB. But neither would be enough to get this team over SF or Philly.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can’t simply move on from our best players to stockpile draft picks. You’ve got fans wanting to trade away Parsons for two or three rolls of the dice in the draft. The same with CeeDee. Good luck coming up with better players than them. The Cowboys have a talented team but they’re still not getting good enough coaching and our QB play is getting worse. This new offensive scheme isn’t working. Our redzone issues are at an all-time worse and we’re not making enough plays down the field. Unless the Joneses change how they run this team, it’s not going to get any better no matter what players we add. I think as long as Jerry is around the Cowboys will continue to spin their wheels. Maybe once he passes on Stephen will try a different approach instead of going down the same road to failure his father has for the past 30 years.
We don’t have to move on from all of our best players. We just have to rid ourselves of the ones whose contracts have taken the team as far as it can go. Dak is one. DLAW is another. You get the idea. The team is stuck and the only way forward may be a step back first. I remember all the fans who wanted to hang on to Hershel Walker and how pissed the local experts were about the trade. We need something bold like that bc the status quo is getting us nowhere.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We don’t have to move on from all of our best players. We just have to rid ourselves of the ones whose contracts have taken the team as far as it can go. Dak is one. DLAW is another. You get the idea. The team is stuck and the only way forward may be a step back first. I remember all the fans who wanted to hang on to Hershel Walker and how pissed the local experts were about the trade. We need something bold like that bc the status quo is getting us nowhere.
Dak and DLaw are still two of our best players. I think most fans will agree Dak isn’t the answer, but it’s not going to be easy doing better than him. If we take a step back from what he is at QB we’ll get worse. As for DLaw he’s pushing 32 we won’t get much for him in a trade. The Cowboys haven’t reached near the depths of the 1989 team. That team had little talent and had to make a bold move. The only player we have that would rake in several draft picks is Parsons, and it would be absolutely foolish to trade him. Draft picks don’t guarantee anything. The problem with the Cowboys isn’t a talent issue. There’s a number of very good players on the team. The problem continues to be how the Joneses run the team and the coaching. Jerry continues to undermine his coaches.

None of the head coaches he hires will ever get the respect Jimmy got because everything started and ended with Jimmy. Players respected him and feared him. Ever since Jimmy moved on, Jerry pulls all the strings. It doesn’t matter what players we add to these current teams nothing ever changes. Jerry coddles his players and the effort on the field isn’t there from week to week. Jerry refuses to take a step back and allow his HC to run the team. He continues to give medical reports and tells you who’s going to play and who’s not going to play. You don’t see any other owners around the league doing what he does. He’s on the radio the other day telling everyone Dak is going to be the QB and that’s the way it is. He refuses to change and nothing ever changes with his teams.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak and DLaw are still two of our best players. I think most fans will agree Dak isn’t the answer, but it’s not going to be easy doing better than him. If we take a step back from what he is at QB we’ll get worse. As for DLaw he’s pushing 32 we won’t get much for him in a trade. The Cowboys haven’t reached near the depths of the 1989 team. That team had little talent and had to make a bold move. The only player we have that would rake in several draft picks is Parsons, and it would be absolutely foolish to trade him. Draft picks don’t guarantee anything. The problem with the Cowboys isn’t a talent issue. There’s a number of very good players on the team. The problem continues to be how the Joneses run the team and the coaching. Jerry continues to undermine his coaches.

None of the head coaches he hires will ever get the respect Jimmy got because everything started and ended with Jimmy. Players respected him and feared him. Ever since Jimmy moved on, Jerry pulls all the strings. It doesn’t matter what players we add to these current teams nothing ever changes. Jerry coddles his players and the effort on the field isn’t there from week to week. Jerry refuses to take a step back and allow his HC to run the team. He continues to give medical reports and tells you who’s going to play and who’s not going to play. You don’t see any other owners around the league doing what he does. He’s on the radio the other day telling everyone Dak is going to be the QB and that’s the way it is. He refuses to change and nothing ever changes with his teams.
Dak and DLAW being two of our best players says it all. Those 2 guys alone suck down 20% of our cap space and for what? Dak isn’t going to be hard to replace at all. He’s not that good. Jerry isn’t a changeable variable so we have have to work around him in this exercise.

Proof

Reaction score
Only move we should consider making is if there is a monstrous 3 tech available. That is a huge hole in our D and was a big reason we lost Sunday.

I would love to have Brian Burns. You do realize that would mean moving Parsons to LB, right? W/ Burns/DLaw/Armstrong and maybe even Sammy, there would be no room for him at DE.
pretty sure leonard williams is going to be on the block

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak and DLAW being two of our best players says it all. Those 2 guys alone suck down 20% of our cap space and for what? Dak isn’t going to be hard to replace at all. He’s not that good. Jerry isn’t a changeable variable so we have have to work around him in this exercise.
Dak would be harder to replace than you think. He’s still better than what many teams have at QB. He’s played three very good games this season and a couple of bad ones. It’s impossible to work around Jerry, he runs the team and has total control. He’s the number one reason the Cowboys continue to spin their wheels. Players and coaches have come and gone but nothing ever changes. We see the same problems with the team every year.