Trey Lance Is Better Than Gardner Minshew & Aidan O'Connell

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't hate him. I just being a realist based on what I have seen in past 4 years. but everybody else wants to give him another 4, then complain about Dak having had 8 years.

if Trey succeeds, I will eat crow. two platful's in a row. perhaps this Trey over Dallas fanbase should kool it off a bit
I just want to see him as any other player improve. I want Dak to do great, get us further in the playoffs. I think Dak will have another great regular season. And hope it carries over into the playoffs. And the defense not to be "tired" or plan victory parties.

I know Trey will not overtake Dak at QB. But what I would like to see is him to be QB2, and they work in some packages kind of like the Saints do with Hill.
Especially inside the 5 or 10. With Zeke blocking. So will Zeke run, will Trey run or pass.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Gardner Minshew & Aidan O'Connell...? :muttley:

Breaking: Sources Say Raiders Front Office May Look to The Availability For Trey Lance..JK LOL..

Jerry Says No Deal Here's Why..
Trey Lance: "He's a great athlete. If we were really trying to win a game during the season, there’d be a different game plan. And you'd use his legs a lot. … You're gonna see Trey tonight working out of the pocket, working on his footwork. … I can see why San Francisco gave three ones to draft..

Jerry Been Wrong On a Number Of Issues..However He Might be Right On Lance..:omg:
If JJ can get a decent offer for Lance from the Raiders, he needs to make that deal! If Lance was the starting QB for the Raiders a 2nd or 3rd or maybe both draft picks would be very valuable to the Cowboys because the Raiders would diffidently be drafting somewhere near the top of the draft with Lance as their starting QB. Lance is like a desert "Mirage", you want to believe you see this starting QB going against every teams starting defenses, when in fact he's really no better than a No 3 QB, going against defenses that consist of low-level roster eaters, practice team players and guys who will be starting their careers outside of the NFL in a couple of weeks.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
exactly. this kid is over rated...so why the infatuations. its painfully obvious he was way way way over drafted, but because he is that #3 over all pick associated with him, people want to give 6,7, 8 years to see how he turns out. then they complain from the other side of their mouth that Dak has had 8 years...

if he was a 7th round pick, you would have walked away already.

the fact you stated is that he has no experience. he is not good. he has a long way to go....and only maybe, maybe he may turn into not an elite (too late for that), but perhaps just a good QB.

is he worth 25M to invest next year to see if he progresses? the fact is the cowboys coaches didn't think so and thus he is a FA next year.
If there was no intention to look further at him, then why all the resources so far into rebuilding? I think the Cowboys have a plan, you know Jerry does....so, we will have to wait and see. At least it begs a discussion

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Trey has more potential, but he’s not better than Minshew at this time. Minshew has way more NFL starts than Lance. Heck, Minshew may have more NFL starts than Lance had total at all 3 levels. And he’s still too inconsistent passing.

That said, maybe his best play was the run prior to the 1/2. Knew where and when to go down to give Papa Aubrey a chance.

He was better last night. Time will tell if he can build off of that. Is one preseason game going to be enough for Jerry and Stephen deciding that they'll forgo drafting a QB for the next few years. Even if they land in the top 5 draft picks after moving on from Dak. The 2 biggest tests still will be what Lance can do in the regular season and if he does enough where the fans and the Cowboys front office is convinced that he is the answer. And therefore the Cowboys don't need to draft a QB who is projected to go high in the draft or prospected to be on a Mahomes/Burrons/Allen level of NFL QBs.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If a QB's biggest asset is his legs and even that part of his game isn't elite after 4 years in the league he's just not starting quality. His running will work for a short time then he'll just get hurt. He simply can not pass his way to victory and that is a requirement in order to win when it matters.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
who cares about Dak. time to move on. this is not a Dak vs. Lance (because Dak blows him away) and if Dak is not the answer, for sure Lance is not and its time to move on. stop drooling and going gaga over a below average QB

Some Cowboys fans believe the team should start Trey Lance and pick a QB high in the draft if the Lance experiment causes the Cowboys to lose a lot of games. But if some are willing to put that much faith in the potential they believe Lance has. Would they also be willing to sacrifice drafting a QB and have the FO spend that top 5-10 pick on another position to help build a top around Lance?

Because if some fans believe that much in Lance's potential, then he would need more than one year as a full time starter to fully develop and prove himself. At least when it comes to the type of QB we really need to get the Cowboys to a Super Bowl. So the true test is can Lance do enough to convince the FO that it's worth giving him the starting job for the next 2 or 3 seasons at least. And do enough to convince fans that he is better than the top QB prospects who will be going into the draft for the next 2 or 3 years plus. Of course if Lance can come out and lead the Cowboys to as many wins as Dak has, then the scenario of the Joneses having to pick between putting their future on Lance or drafting a QB with their top 5 pick won't happen.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
But both have been starters in this league. If he is a practice squad QB, what are they?
Not all teams have the same standard for a starting QB. You're just pointing out the lower standard with some teams.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If JJ can get a decent offer for Lance from the Raiders, he needs to make that deal! If Lance was the starting QB for the Raiders a 2nd or 3rd or maybe both draft picks would be very valuable to the Cowboys because the Raiders would diffidently be drafting somewhere near the top of the draft with Lance as their starting QB. Lance is like a desert "Mirage", you want to believe you see this starting QB going against every teams starting defenses, when in fact he's really no better than a No 3 QB, going against defenses that consist of low-level roster eaters, practice team players and guys who will be starting their careers outside of the NFL in a couple of weeks.
They got plans for Lance.

QB1

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I just want to see him as any other player improve. I want Dak to do great, get us further in the playoffs. I think Dak will have another great regular season. And hope it carries over into the playoffs. And the defense not to be "tired" or plan victory parties.

I know Trey will not overtake Dak at QB. But what I would like to see is him to be QB2, and they work in some packages kind of like the Saints do with Hill.
Especially inside the 5 or 10. With Zeke blocking. So will Zeke run, will Trey run or pass.
Jerry is tired of Dak.

Dak ALWAYS loses in the playoffs.

The last one caused Jerry to MAN-CRY in front of Millions.

Brutal.

JustChip

Reaction score
He was better last night. Time will tell if he can build off of that. Is one preseason game going to be enough for Jerry and Stephen deciding that they'll forgo drafting a QB for the next few years. Even if they land in the top 5 draft picks after moving on from Dak. The 2 biggest tests still will be what Lance can do in the regular season and if he does enough where the fans and the Cowboys front office is convinced that he is the answer. And therefore the Cowboys don't need to draft a QB who is projected to go high in the draft or prospected to be on a Mahomes/Burrons/Allen level of NFL QBs.
True on last night. It didn’t start out that way for Lance. Over threw the lang pass by 5+ yards, threw an out route very high, and then a slant behind Cropper or Flournoy that receiver bailed him out on. But the a switch flipped and he played very well from then on.

In a question of which would be a better backup for a playoff contending team, Minshew’s experience would be of way more value. However, if the question is who will be the better QB and a plus as a starter in 2025 or 2026, it may be Lance. His contract situation makes it a challenge for him to be here long enough for that to come to fruition.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gardner Minshew & Aidan O'Connell...? :muttley:

Breaking: Sources Say Raiders Front Office May Look to The Availability For Trey Lance..JK LOL..

Jerry Says No Deal Here's Why..
Trey Lance: "He's a great athlete. If we were really trying to win a game during the season, there’d be a different game plan. And you'd use his legs a lot. … You're gonna see Trey tonight working out of the pocket, working on his footwork. … I can see why San Francisco gave three ones to draft..

Jerry Been Wrong On a Number Of Issues..However He Might be Right On Lance..:omg:
If jerry is right about Lance, chalk it up to the 'blind squirrel' effect.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Being called “ better “ then that dude is like Keith Jackson saying “ oh Nellie fummmmble “

:huh:

RonWashington

Reaction score
And Aidan O’Connell is studying for the Jackson Hewitt tax preparers exam right about now as Antonio Pierce is scanning the Canadian football league waiver wire ….

Wangchung83

Reaction score
exactly. this kid is over rated...so why the infatuations. its painfully obvious he was way way way over drafted, but because he is that #3 over all pick associated with him, people want to give 6,7, 8 years to see how he turns out. then they complain from the other side of their mouth that Dak has had 8 years...

if he was a 7th round pick, you would have walked away already.

the fact you stated is that he has no experience. he is not good. he has a long way to go....and only maybe, maybe he may turn into not an elite (too late for that), but perhaps just a good QB.

is he worth 25M to invest next year to see if he progresses? the fact is the cowboys coaches didn't think so and thus he is a FA next year.
Dak has had 8, 8 years well then lance hasn’t even had one. Lance hasn’t played one season worth of NFL football to compare. He’s only played 2 games with the first team offense he actually practiced with. He started 4 count them 4 games..Dak had that many games good or bad by 4 games into his rookie year. Trey’s game log looks like this intermittent his rookie year coming in for an injured garapollo second half of week four making week five and week seventeen the only starts he had. He didn’t even practice with first team, so no chemistry was built with wr, etc. That’s no way to even compare one vs the other, he had no chemistry those two games. Then in 2022, year 2 he got injured 2 games into the season, but let’s count it as another year, even though we all give Dak a pass on his injured ankle year. 2023 makes 3 years but he didn’t play and wasn’t expected to bc he had no preseason with the cowboys and he was brought in as a project. Now we count that as year 3.lol. What we are comparing is someone we don’t know if he’s a Ryan Leaf, Jamar Russell, etc bc he hasn’t had that full season or two to lose every game and show he’s not capable. He needs time, real game time with players he has built chemistry(timing with) to truly compare. The question becomes are we willing to pay lance a lower tier number that he would get if drafted in third or fourth round or go pay another third or fourth rd pick or option three put that money towards a real first rd pick that we plan on starting and committing too? He’s a rookie with minimal nfl experience, not four years. The comparison is do we believe he is worth a mid tier contract and commit to taking a real chance(leaf, Russel, Z wilson, etc) chance. Are we sure we will go 3-15 with him or if he goes 8-8 is every good with giving him a second year to improve on it? Dak looked like pure trash in 2018, passing yards 170 in first game loss, 160 in second week, which was won the ground, week three 168, week four 255, week five 208. What I’m saying is in those four games we should’ve cut Dak bc he was absolute trash. Give Lance 18 games and sit Dak who cares we know this isn’t a Super Bowl year and we know what we have with Dak, he’s a regular season princess that can’t overcome the pressure of a big game. Let the rest of the nfl figure out if they want to pay him, also he’s more likely to ask for a trade which we will get something for him instead of letting him walk for free. Just one of many options but it is an option nonetheless.

JBS

Reaction score
Yall celebrating Lance over Minshew and AOC hahahah

Bo Nix running laps around T. Lance