Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

LittleD

Reaction score
Troy is being as "politically correct" as possible because at the end of the day, he can't come out and flat out say Dak is terrible...

If you watch the games, you can see Troy take subtle shots at Dak throughout the broadcast..

No doubt in my mind he doesn't think Dak is a franchise type QB..

I only hope he manages to convince Jerrah somehow.

No chance of that. Jerry is not going to admit that he erred on Romo and now he's not going to admit he erred on Dak. Dak is what he is and is not going to improve....bank it!

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Well there were two HOF QBs giving their opinion. It's an opinion that's shared by Jimmy as well. So there's 3 "doctors" telling you you've got cancer...but you just keep telling yourself you're fine.

And it was a lot more than just those three. I watched NFL Network a lot this week, and you have a ton of ex-players saying the same thing about Dak.

Kurt Warner
MJD
Steve Smith Sr.
Baldy

Just to name the ones I know.

cern

Reaction score
tiger woods was always modifying his swing even while at the height of his game. many golfers do. ergo, I don't necessarily buy the premise you have it or you don't. Nolan ryan made his bones with a fast ball. his last few years he had one of the best hooks (curve balls) in the game. accuracy is a function of proper mechanics. those can be taught and learned.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Troy will make a statement this week that dak is playing better. "Dak has the heart of Rudy and gives his all" reports Troy Aikman.
I think he's right in both of his opinions. Dak plays his heart out. He just doesn't have a very accurate arm and he's terrible at anticipating who will be open against whatever defense he's looking at.

khiladi

Reaction score
Haven't heard a single one that wasn't saying pretty much the same thing. They are now turning on Troy. Talk about going all in on an unsuited 2 and 5 with the board still to go...

Jane Slater is apparently gospel based on how she interpreted Gregory saying “Coach tells us to work hard” as there undying love for Garrett’s greatness as a coach, but Troy Aikman, Jimmy Johnson and Terry Bradshaw among a host of others clearly don’t know what they are taking about...

Got to love these Garrett and Dak stans..

Brax

Reaction score

What do 2 QB's (HOF) with 7 super bowls know? really that about sums it up, not sure why you get labeled a hater if you hold this view, they are stating what is obvious if you watch games, check downs are great for stats but don't produce many points in games. Dak fan guys will be out in force but fact is again against the worse D in football his inaccuracy was on full display, people blame JG and SL but I believe they working to Dak's limitations, he is the same 5th round talent he was in college, dazzles on some plays but plain out terrible on many more.

khiladi

Reaction score
You know the amusing thing about this whole thread is that Troy actually says the BIGGEST issue he sees with Dak Prescott is NOT his lack of accuracy, but his lack of ANTICIPATION.

Further, Troy doesn’t say accuracy can’t be improved somewhat, but he said it’s more, you either have it or you don’t at this stage. The example he gave was spot on, that one can take measures to improve it, such as footwork, but the greats still make throws falling when they have to.

Also, Jimmy Johnson made a subtle remark how in Aikman’s era they didn’t have the checkdown like they do nowadays.

Brax

Reaction score
Man lets get out our pitch forks and storm Troys house. How can he say something like this. Well it's not like hasn't said this in other games. oh well, his rings are old and the team carried him. lol says the Dakerds.
Just wait you will see, Terry was a bum also those 4 rings were team wins not his, who is he to say what Dak's QB ability is, look at the stats Dak is some much better that him. Merry Christmas "OX" happy holidays, hope for the best maybe we will be surprised.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
tiger woods was always modifying his swing even while at the height of his game. many golfers do. ergo, I don't necessarily buy the premise you have it or you don't. Nolan ryan made his bones with a fast ball. his last few years he had one of the best hooks (curve balls) in the game. accuracy is a function of proper mechanics. those can be taught and learned.
Golfers and pitchers don't have large men chasing them down every play. Those guys have time before each pitch and swing to think about what they are doing, time to remind their body of what is needed to make this pitch or hit that shot.

QBs have about 3 seconds to go through their reads, find the open man and get rid of the ball. Your muscles tend to do what they're most comfortable with when under duress. Dak's muscles feel most comfortable throwing off his back foot or while hopping in the air.

Can it improve through countless hours of correction? Yeah, maybe a little, but is he that guy who will spend those countless hours working at it? Does he even think it's a problem he needs to fix?

khiladi

Reaction score

To a degree, which Aikman already stated. Aikman says, yes they may be able to improve somewhat, but guys like Rodgers make throws falling backwards.

These guys were recognized as greats from he beginning and had all the talent in the world, unlike Dak, whose flaws have been known for a long time.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Accurate point. There are so many little things to tune.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Golfers and pitchers don't have large men chasing them down every play. Those guys have time before each pitch and swing to think about what they are doing, time to remind their body of what is needed to make this pitch or hit that shot.

QBs have about 3 seconds to go through their reads, find the open man and get rid of the ball. Your muscles tend to do what they're most comfortable with when under duress. Dak's muscles feel most comfortable throwing off his back foot or while hopping in the air.

Can it improve through countless hours of correction? Yeah, maybe a little, but is he that guy who will spend those countless hours working at it? Does he even think it's a problem he needs to fix?
Dak has the "glitch" and it's not fixable. Fear messes up his internal clock and speeds everything up.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No chance of that. Jerry is not going to admit that he erred on Romo and now he's not going to admit he erred on Dak. Dak is what he is and is not going to improve....bank it!

Oh I think he will, but not a dramatic amount. And even that's if he doesn't get better coaching. Romo was an interception machine his first few years, but he got better. I think Dak is both trying to hard and afraid to make a mistake, he got so much praise for his 4 int first year that I believe he thinks that's the only way he can win.

Romo lost some games because he tried a bit too hard to make plays/win games by himself (of course he seldom if ever had a defense like the Cowboys have this year).

Dak has to learn when to let 'er rip and when to protect the ball. He's sort of like a man I knew who was talking about teaching his son to drive - sometimes when turning left he'd wait for a vehicle nowhere near him to pass before turning, other times he'd turn left almost in front of somebody! But he figured it out eventually.

Dak may not, but I think he can and will get better. We see flashes of much better play, like the passes to Gallup in this last game, there's just too few of them and too many missed throws....

khiladi

Reaction score

DaK says every year he needs to work on his accuracy. Even he knows he sucks at it.

The problem like Aikman says, is not primarily his accuracy, which isn’t good, it’s his lack of ANTICIPATION. And in reality, that’s why he’s even more inaccurate.

His processing is just way too slow.