Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

pansophy

Reaction score
He was 20 for 25 today, that is hitting guys that were open. He also missed Jarwin when he was wide open, which was terrible. And we were up by 14 points with 4 minutes left in the game.

The issue isn't talent, its consistency. He is consistent enough to win, which is why we are 6 - 1 over the last 7 games even with a poor OL. But he clearly needs to improve in some areas.
Hard to get excited about 3 / 9 on 3rd down no matter how many passes he completes.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yup... you deleting your account and joining a philthy forum. Was this your suggestion?
Why would I do that? I'm quite happy here. You're the one crying about the board being toxic. Why would I join the philly forum? Is everyone who doesn't think Dak is very good a philly fan to you?

Sinister

Reaction score
I have never seen an inaccurate QB in the NFL suddenly become accurate.

This is not a "scheming the receiver open" thing.

He misses open receivers too often.

No QB suddenly becomes accurate it takes years to get accurate some QB's take longer than others. Do I think that Dak is accurate? No I don't. I don't think anyone who watches Dak can honestly say he is an accurate QB. Can he learn to be accurate? Yes, however, can the Cowboys wait for him? What is his learning curve? Can the Cowboys afford to wait?

These are question that I don't have the answers for and we won't unless we have some patience.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not Steven Jones, and really was referring to the general public as being the armchair quarterbacks in this case. Aikman is the best quarterback we've had.

When you say HOF armchair qb....... thats a reference to Aikman and Bradshaw. Obviously, the general public like us are all armchair QBs. Its amazing to me that some have so much confidence in their own opinion that they doubt Aikman's. If i'm trying to form an opinion on a football related topic, its hard to go wrong with Aikman, Bradshaw, and Jimmy Johnson.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When you say HOF armchair qb....... thats a reference to Aikman and Bradshaw. Obviously, the general public like us are all armchair QBs. Its amazing to me that some have so much confidence in their own opinion that they doubt Aikman's. If i'm trying to form an opinion on a football related topic, its hard to go wrong with Aikman, Bradshaw, and Jimmy Johnson.
Wonder if they do the same thing with their doctors. Sorry doc, I just disagree, I don't think it's cancer.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
No QB suddenly becomes accurate it takes years to get accurate some QB's take longer than others. Do I think that Dak is accurate? No I don't. I don't think anyone who watches Dak can honestly say he is an accurate QB. Can he learn to be accurate? Yes, however, can the Cowboys wait for him? What is his learning curve? Can the Cowboys afford to wait?

These are question that I don't have the answers for and we won't unless we have some patience.

About Accuracy, I take Aikman's word for it: you either have it or you don't? What quarterbacks do we know that started out inaccurate and then became very accurate? Even if there is one, doesn't seem like it would be the norm.

Zman5

Reaction score
McNabb was career 59% passer yet he had a very successful career playing with average receivers most of his career. What McNabb had was much better coaches to help him. His QB coach was Doug Pederson and his OC/HC was Fatboy Andy. Much better coaches than Moore and JG/Linehan.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
161 yards passing today suggests that Troy might be right.
161:facepalm:
MVP candidate and future HOF Phillip Rivers had 181 and 2 ints…… The great Tom Brady had 126 yards 1 td and 2 ints…….. All I'm saying is we won, Dak is our QB going into the playoffs and lets just hope he wins a game or 2, or 3 or even 4 :starspin:. Lets talk Dak after the season.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

Well I know who I was referring to. Also, taken my stance on Dak, it wouldn't make sense for me to call Aikman an armchair quarterback that doesn't know anything about accuracy, the guy who before Brees was considered by many to be the most accurate quarterback.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I thought about what he said after he said it. Bradshaw, too.

If you have it, then how do you know you can't get it if you don't have it? Troy can't possibly mean that his accuracy didn't improve over time.

Last week, it was 'Dak doesn't have the touch to throw a fade.', yet he had plenty of touch on that fade to Gallup today.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Troy said the thing,that drives me nuts. He needs to anticipate the throws sooner. It’s just that fraction of a second delay,where I’d like to see his timing tweaked. He’s never going to be an accurate big armed QB,but he can make a lot more plays by changing that.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
McNabb was career 59% passer yet he had a very successful career playing with average receivers most of his career. What McNabb had was much better coaches to help him. His QB coach was Doug Pederson and his OC/HC was Fatboy Andy. Much better coaches than Moore and JG/Linehan.

I've brought up McNabb before and wondered why dak can't be like him. I don't know if it is coaches, or if that McNabb was more accurate in the deep game and less so close up and that Dak is the reverse. I'm not a McNabb fan or an Eagles fan so I don't care to look up those stats. But McNabb had success in the Deep Game where Dak doesn't since the eagles under him were at times the the #1 big play team in the league.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They’ve got to be blind! That’s why they go to their stat sheet for everything.
Well to be fair, going to the stat sheet doesn't really help their case. This team has the league leading rusher and has an offense ranked in the 20s. I would love to know how often that's happened in the history of the league. It's a special brand of inept.

morat1959

Reaction score
Well to be fair, going to the stat sheet doesn't really help their case. This team has the league leading rusher and has an offense ranked in the 20s. I would love to know how often that's happened in the history of the league. It's a special brand of inept.

You and I know that but that’s all they’ve got because they can’t see what’s right in front of them.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
MVP candidate and future HOF Phillip Rivers had 181 and 2 ints…… The great Tom Brady had 126 yards 1 td and 2 ints…….. All I'm saying is we won, Dak is our QB going into the playoffs and lets just hope he wins a game or 2, or 3 or even 4 :starspin:. Lets talk Dak after the season.

The difference is that those two quarterbacks have proved their greatness, so they can have the occasional low yardage game without cause of concern for their fan base. Dak on the other hand is still unproven, so such numbers are troubling for his fan base.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Why would I do that? I'm quite happy here. You're the one crying about the board being toxic. Why would I join the philly forum? Is everyone who doesn't think Dak is very good a philly fan to you?

Not necessarily but quite a few regulars here are philly fan trolls. Just assumed you might be. You offered a solution. The best one I could think of is you deleting your account? CZ is a horrific toxic place if you root for the Dallas Cowboys. That's all I know. Perhaps I'm here for the 10% of quality content that exists here.

Zman5

Reaction score
I've brought up McNabb before and wondered why dak can't be like him. I don't know if it is coaches, or if that McNabb was more accurate in the deep game and less so close up and that Dak is the reverse. I'm not a McNabb fan or an Eagles fan so I don't care to look up those stats. But McNabb had success in the Deep Game where Dak doesn't since the eagles under him were at times the the #1 big play team in the league.

McNabb was lot like what Dak is now early in his career. Very inconsistent and had bad mechanics. He ran much more though and won games that way while developing as a better passer. You do have a point where Dak is more accurate on shorter/intermediate passes and McNabb was more accurate with deep ball.