Troy Aikman on Dak

birdwells1

Reaction score
Please define clean pocket.

Dak also is ranked top five in time holding onto the ball, meaning he’s creating a dirty pocket over what constitutes a clean pocket.

Not sure throwing checkdowns from a clean pocket should be a mark of praise, especially considering he’s an NFL QB and should be able to dink and dunk accurately from a clean pocket.

What Percy was trying to say was that in games where Dak gets pressured over 40%, even when the pocket is clean he panicks. After being hit a few times his game goes south and he's no good.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Hard to be accurate when you are in constant duress. I would agree more with the Dak haters if I felt the guy was being given the opportunity to succeed. The reality is that this organization has failed him.
A lot of the duress is self inflicted. If he has the ball for 3 seconds as the protection breaking down that is on him or his receivers not getting open. Sometimes that happens but he is top 5 in time allowed to pass. You cannot expect an NFL line to block more than 3 seconds. In HS you at taught you have 3 seconds run it or pass but decide in 3 seconds.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He is just as inaccurate as he was when we drafted him
I would have to disagree. Yes, he missed throws in 2016. But he made enough throws in 2016 to keep defenses honest.

Ever since Atlanta, it feels like you won the SB when he completes the most routine pass imaginable. His accuracy has regressed because he lost confidence.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he can be accurate but he needs everything to be perfect, which of course is hardly the case in the NFL. Part of the issue is his mechanics he cannot duplicate his throwing motion from play to play. He tries to adjust and I think that is why his pass are all over the place. He will throw low on say an out but then goes out and throws high on another out.
This speaks to something I saw Goff say about being accurate his rookie season. He was trying too hard.

There is so much for a rookie QB to learn and retain that accuracy cannot be a thought process, it has to be automatic, second nature. Man, you've got 250-300 lbers flying around you and the protection is breaking down, the last thing on your mind is where are my feet and hips....except not under one of those 300 lbers.

That was a bit of a clinic in accuracy Sunday night because the pressure was really more on Watson but he stayed calmer, kept his position and was in a better position to deliver an accurate pass. But Watson was trained better in defense anticipation and knowing where they're going to be is a hell of a lot easier than not having a feel for that.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
When you can't even throw the Wide Receiver screen to the midsection of the receiver, you are pretty bad. 3 inches off the ground is just a tad low.

Or make the receiver jump for that screen pass so he loses all momentum to juke the DB and start up field.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
A lot of the duress is self inflicted. If he has the ball for 3 seconds as the protection breaking down that is on him or his receivers not getting open. Sometimes that happens but he is top 5 in time allowed to pass. You cannot expect an NFL line to block more than 3 seconds. In HS you at taught you have 3 seconds run it or pass but decide in 3 seconds.

He lacks poise.

Typically, when he feels pressure he turns his back from the field, taking his eyes off the receivers and scrambles for open field.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I mean look at 2016 Eagles game and watch it again and watch the difference between how the Eagles went at Dak and went at Romo.

As soon as Romo came in, they backed off the blitz and played basically deep cover 2..

And Romo scored in about 5 plays then walked off the field. Fact: that was T. Will's last td.

khiladi

Reaction score
What Percy was trying to say was that in games where Dak gets pressured over 40%, even when the pocket is clean he panicks. After being hit a few times his game goes south and he's no good.

Yeah, he’s mentally weak. That was in his pre-draft scouting profile from the very beginning.

Sydla

Reaction score
He lacks poise.

Typically, when he feels pressure he turns his back from the field, taking his eyes off the receivers and scrambles for open field.

Was it Aikman who did the Panthers game? I can't remember. But whoever did that game noted a couple of times where Dak "felt" pressure when in fact all he had to do was take a step or two up and there was a clean pocket. Instead, he tried to scramble around and ended up costing himself.

There's no question he has some escapability and can avoid the rush at times better than many QBs. But too often, he's sensing something that probably really isn't there and it's costing the team.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
its true the quarterback play for the dallas cowboys is brutal tom landry had a three year rule I think it applies here
the cowboys are lost in the land of no quarterback so its going tobe dark days to continue going to be hard to be a fan of this org it just keeps getting worse and worse

Sydla

Reaction score
One of the few times I agree with Bryan Broaddus.

I noticed @Kevinicus replied to that tweet. Stick to CowboysZone, you bum. :p:D:flagwave:

And what's funny is that Broaddus is likely wrong there.

The reason the Cowboys and Dak have little consistent run game is because NFL teams simply don't fear Prescott and his arm. So they load up against Elliott and the run. I don't care how good an OL you think you have, if you have 5-6 blockers to block 7-8 guys, your run game is going to bog down at times.

Until Prescott shows he can beat teams with his arm, expect to see similar things to what the Texans did. Watch what Jax does this weekend. I suspect they will creep up a S and play with a fairly heavy front to make sure Elliott goes nowhere.