News: Troy Aikman rips FOX Sports for hiring Skip Bayless

Plankton

Reaction score
Can someone recap exactly why he hates Skip. He seems easy to hate but, are there other details besides he saying Troy was gay?

That combined with his punch able face is enough. Just wondering if there was more.
  • Bayless insinuated that Aikman was gay.
  • Bayless reported that Aikman dropped an N bomb on Kevin Williams during a game against the Commanders. The same Kevin Williams who saved the 1995 season with a catch against the Giants, caught passes for over 200 yards against the Cardinals in the season ending game.
  • Bayless reported that Aikman was believed by members of Switzer's crew to have tanked the two games against the Commanders in 1995 to make Switzer look bad and Norv Turner look good.
That enough?

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Wanna know why Aikman can't stand Bayless? Here's an excerpt from an article Bayless wrote in D Magazine in September of 1996:

"One member of the Switzer camp had told me that Aikman, in a sideline blowup during the Dec. 3 loss to Washington at Texas Stadium, had called receiver Kevin Williams a “******.” And several Switzer loyalists had encouraged me to look into a rumor I’ve heard for four years-that Aikman is gay."

So Bayless was spreading rumors Aikman was gay and a racist.
I didn't know he said that. No wonder Aikman don't like Skip. That was foul. :thumbdown:

conner01

Reaction score
Because he helped "First Take" generate ratings for ESPN, and FOX offered him more money to do the same thing with its network.

And Skip might be the object of ridicule with some, but he is the epitome of opinionated sports talk, which is now driving the ratings for failing satellite/cable networks.

And THAT is why they would add him, syphoning off some of ESPN's viewers in the process - which, in the competitive world of sports journalism, is never a bad thing.
It's just business
If Jack the Ripper could get ratings, some network would hire him

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Obviously Troy has some personal issues with Bayless, it will be interesting to see if he receives any backlash from Fox over his comments.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Troy will be gone soon from Fox bosses don't want to hear his opinion.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Does anyone watch Fox Sports 1? Will putting that dip**** there bring in more audience?

Dang Troy, let'er rip, my man. I always wondered about Troy's desire to forgive and forget, wonder no more.

Sports journalism didn't use to be an oxymoron.

They are building their brand. ESPN is an old brand name and Fox is trying to be new. When they lured Colin Cowherd away that hurt ESPN and helped Fox. Right now PTI has the best show on ESPN and after that not much else.

crazyeddie

Reaction score
Aikman ripped FOX for hiring Skip Bayless away from ESPN and giving Bayless his own First Take knockoff show on FOX Sports 1. Aikman has disliked Bayless since the 1990s, when Bayless wrote a book about the Cowboys that included unsubstantiated rumors that Aikman is gay.

“To say I’m disappointed in the hiring of Skip Bayless would be an enormous understatement,” Aikman told Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated. “Clearly, [Fox Sports president of national networks] Jamie Horowitz and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to building a successful organization. I believe success is achieved by acquiring and developing talented, respected and credible individuals, none of which applies to Skip Bayless.”

Read more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/06/troy-aikman-rips-fox-sports-for-hiring-skip-Bayless/
Wow I wasn't aware of Skip's accusation that Troy was gay!

I can see why Troy would be upset.But I think Troy should be the bigger man,and just say-I welcome Skip to Fox,but how about getting your facts straight before you open your mouth Skip.

Last edited:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
as much as it pains me to accept this, Troy needs to face reality. society cares about the Skip Bayless's of the world. sucks that it is true, but ratings don't lie.

If Troy doesn't like it, he needs to remove him from a world that is based on ratings and popularity.

Aikman is Fox's #1 NFL analyst. I'm guessing ratings don't lie for that also.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fair enough. The world of sports journalism - and news, if you ask me - is more opinionated than ever. It appeals to conspiracy theorist and hyperbole just to create shock and to get clicks, ratings, listeners, viewers, etc.

I don't like it, which is one reason I got out of the business (or didn't re-enter on a full-time bases after being laid off - which was a blessing in disguise).

Nevertheless, I acknowledge this is what "journalism" has become and a fear for the future of our society.
We've always had this type of sports journalist .

You just had to make a bigger effort to find it listening to radio ,reading newspapers and magazines before the technology boom and ESPN, etc.

We've allowed it to grow because we tune in providing them their platform which has become more entertainment with scripted dialogue and agendas to attract the masses. Who knows anymore if this is even how they really feel?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We've always had this type of sports journalist .

You just had to make a bigger effort to find it listening to radio ,reading newspapers and magazines before the technology boom and ESPN, etc.

We've allowed it to grow because we tune in providing them their platform which has become more entertainment with scripted dialogue and agendas to attract the masses. Who knows anymore if this is even how they really feel?

Yes, we've always had it, but it wasn't as dominant as it is today. Usually, opinionated journalism was relegated to the AM radio band or was given last-minute segments on sports shows - the commentary section at the end of the show, if you will.
Now, it is much more prominent and much more the driving force of news nowadays.

I got sssooo tired of the Colin Kaepernick story. To me, it's not even a story. One quarterback - a backup one at that - decides not to stand for the National Anthem, gives his reason why, and every sports network from CBS, ESPN and Fox (and even the local stations including the one in the city where I live) can't stop talking about day after day after day after day. Why? Because it involves race, patriotism, the military - all the hot-button topics that get people talking and tuning in.

And I'm like, "Why are we giving Kaepernick so much play like he's the President of the United States?" :huh:

Yet, this is the kind of "news" that drives sports programming whereas, maybe, 40 years ago, no one would have even cared to ask Kap his opinion. There were a lot of things about players' private/personal lives that the media/reporters concealed.

So, yes, this was always a part of journalism but, no, not to the same degree nor was it given the same exposure.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Obviously Troy has some personal issues with Bayless, it will be interesting to see if he receives any backlash from Fox over his comments.

what Backlash? he could leave tomorrow for CBS and they would welcome him with open arms.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
what Backlash? he could leave tomorrow for CBS and they would welcome him with open arms.

He has a great gig at Fox being part of their #1 announcing team. Doubt he would want to leave that for something less at CBS.