TV shows you are watching right now

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't suggesting they stop producing their own shows. They are already allocating over $1b per year to doing that.

I'm saying because services like NBC, Disney, etc. are pulling their own shows from Netflix for their own services, Netflix should focus on drop-catching cancelled TV shows to compensate.

Their new shows have higher risks of failure but are still worth it. However, from a business standpoint they could mitigate the failures by picking up not-quite-successful-enough-for-limited-prime-time-slots TV shows that were cancelled by network TV networks.
It would address that "something for everyone" ground they established first and I signed up for Disney+ for The Mandalorian and that's all that interests me so far. Apple TV+ didn't come with enough but I did like The Morning Show and I do think they'll get up on it or get left behind when The Peacock and HBO Max hit with so much content. But I do wish they'd follow Amazon and Netflix and give me an entire season at a time because I can't record that like I can HBO.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wasn't suggesting they stop producing their own shows. They are already allocating over $1b per year to doing that.

I'm saying because services like NBC, Disney, etc. are pulling their own shows from Netflix for their own services, Netflix should focus on drop-catching cancelled TV shows to compensate.

Their new shows have higher risks of failure but are still worth it. However, from a business standpoint they could mitigate the failures by picking up not-quite-successful-enough-for-limited-prime-time-slots TV shows that were cancelled by network TV networks.
I think the problem is that most of those shows the networks cancel, they cancel because they're not good. I'm sure there are exceptions, like Firefly, but for the most part even the better TV shows aren't very good, IMO.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the problem is that most of those shows the networks cancel, they cancel because they're not good. I'm sure there are exceptions, like Firefly, but for the most part even the better TV shows aren't very good, IMO.
Just because there are some really bad shows that get cancelled does not mean all of them are bad. There are a lot of good shows that get cancelled mixed in with many more that are not.

A lot of tv shows on the major networks get cancelled because there is a finite number of prime time slots and a X viewers in one time slot on one night for a tv show on one tv network might be small while on another would be their top show.

That's just it though, most people these days do not start watching new shows week to week unless its a proven IP brand or the network is spending a massive amount of money on advertising promoting it.

Most people think, "well, if it's good, it will last and I will watch it later" so fewer people watch. By not watching because it's inconvenient to watch weekly or because there are a LOT of other options available at any given moment, it creates the illusion that the show is not popular or good enough for more seasons.

Quite honestly, the only scripted show I have ever watched that would have been worth watching weekly was Game of Thrones and I didn't even do that because to me that's like reading a 100-chapter book one chapter per week when you have several other complete books or books with at least complete multi-chapter story lines you can read right now instead.

As I said, older people are conditioned to weekly episodic content and have more consistent life styles and viewing habits.

I don't see why your preferences are more important than providing options to everyone though. Your way limits people while mine provides everyone an option to consume media the way they want.

At least with entire seasons released, you can still watch them any way you want to watch them. No one is forcing you to watch them all at once. You could even watch a 12-episode season show one show per month and likely never have to skip a month as the next season would start around the time you finish the last episode of the current season.

For me, I watch things the way that fits my schedule and my time. Weekly-based shows are nothing more than a few months of trailers for me. Once the show's season ends and they announce a renewal, I watch the entire season as my schedule allows which may be in a weekend or over a couple of weeks.

That said, I usually don't watch most weekly-based shows until they have been out multiple seasons these days simply because again, there are so many other things to do and watch that I don't have to waste my time with tv networks that dictate and cater to a dying demographic of viewers.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just because there are some really bad shows that get cancelled does not mean all of them are bad. There are a lot of good shows that get cancelled mixed in with many more that are not.

A lot of tv shows on the major networks get cancelled because there is a finite number of prime time slots and a X viewers in one time slot on one night for a tv show on one tv network might be small while on another would be their top show.

That's just it though, most people these days do not start watching new shows week to week unless its a proven IP brand or the network is spending a massive amount of money on advertising promoting it.

Most people think, "well, if it's good, it will last and I will watch it later" so fewer people watch. By not watching because it's inconvenient to watch weekly or because there are a LOT of other options available at any given moment, it creates the illusion that the show is not popular or good enough for more seasons.

Quite honestly, the only scripted show I have ever watched that would have been worth watching weekly was Game of Thrones and I didn't even do that because to me that's like reading a 100-chapter book one chapter per week when you have several other complete books or books with at least complete multi-chapter story lines you can read right now instead.

As I said, older people are conditioned to weekly episodic content and have more consistent life styles and viewing habits.

I don't see why your preferences are more important than providing options to everyone though. Your way limits people while mine provides everyone an option to consume media the way they want.

At least with entire seasons released, you can still watch them any way you want to watch them. No one is forcing you to watch them all at once. You could even watch a 12-episode season show one show per month and likely never have to skip a month as the next season would start around the time you finish the last episode of the current season.

For me, I watch things the way that fits my schedule and my time. Weekly-based shows are nothing more than a few months of trailers for me. Once the show's season ends and they announce a renewal, I watch the entire season as my schedule allows which may be in a weekend or over a couple of weeks.

That said, I usually don't watch most weekly-based shows until they have been out multiple seasons these days simply because again, there are so many other things to do and watch that I don't have to waste my time with tv networks that dictate and cater to a dying demographic of viewers.
Hey, I never said "my way" was my way! Lol

I don't care either way, to be honest. I can see your point, but for me personally, when I binge watch shows, I get less done. Most cable companies (I don't know about satellite TV) have a DVR option, so if you want to binge watch, you can just record a whole season and watch when it's done.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Recent shows I started from the pilot:
Rick and Morty
Prodigal Son
Mindhunter
Better Call Saul
The Mandalorian
Jack Ryan
Watchmen
The Righteous Gemstones

Shows I binged (and continued if still running):
CSI: LV
Bad Blood (Stopped after season one)
The Office
Six Feet Under
Vice Principals
Shameless
Curb Your Enthusiasm (Pretty pretty pretty nice show)
Parks and Rec
The OA

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is challenging to create a TV series, sustain it and know when to call it over. Most don't know if they'll even have a second season like Hill St. Blues. The ratings were not good but the small audience was devoted and vocal to NBC and based on that, they gave it another season and the significance of that was it gave birth to the ensemble cast of unknowns and series like St. Elsewhere, LA Law and NYPD Blue were created.

JJ Abrams admitted he didn't create Lost with the end in mind. The Office and Parks and Rec just became formula. I never watched it but fans of The Mayor were incensed at it being cancelled and the Network went as far as to try and negotiate with Kelsey Grammar for a 2 hour movie to conclude it but they couldn't do it. I don't start any new shows until I know they're going to stay around and don't do commercial network ones until they move to a more commercial free environment.

The competition has never been stronger for that finite commodity that people have, time. There is so much, it's hard to know where to start when you grew up with only 3 networks. I don't have a lot of confidence in the commercial TV networks using any creativity beyond the usual mind numbing mouth breathing reality shows.

The trick is to figure out when it's time to end it. I thought Sons of Anarchy waited a season too late but Breaking Bad nailed it. If I were the owner/writer of a hit series, I would have a hard time ending it myself so can't blame them.

You younger folks didn't grow up with magic time that us old fogey's had. Premier week for all the new shows on the 3 nets happened in September, just as the New Car Models intro happened, it was a magic time. No way to record shows and you'd have to wait for summer reruns if you missed it and hope there would be some of your shows. Life was getting ready for your favorite shows to come on and deciding which you would watch because time shifting and recording 6 shows while watching 1 was decades off. And kids didn't get a vote, you watched what your parents watched, which is why Rob and Laura Petrie slept in twin beds. Richie was an immaculate conception and I always though he looked a lot like a young Jesus.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is challenging to create a TV series, sustain it and know when to call it over. Most don't know if they'll even have a second season like Hill St. Blues. The ratings were not good but the small audience was devoted and vocal to NBC and based on that, they gave it another season and the significance of that was it gave birth to the ensemble cast of unknowns and series like St. Elsewhere, LA Law and NYPD Blue were created.

JJ Abrams admitted he didn't create Lost with the end in mind. The Office and Parks and Rec just became formula. I never watched it but fans of The Mayor were incensed at it being cancelled and the Network went as far as to try and negotiate with Kelsey Grammar for a 2 hour movie to conclude it but they couldn't do it. I don't start any new shows until I know they're going to stay around and don't do commercial network ones until they move to a more commercial free environment.

The competition has never been stronger for that finite commodity that people have, time. There is so much, it's hard to know where to start when you grew up with only 3 networks. I don't have a lot of confidence in the commercial TV networks using any creativity beyond the usual mind numbing mouth breathing reality shows.

The trick is to figure out when it's time to end it. I thought Sons of Anarchy waited a season too late but Breaking Bad nailed it. If I were the owner/writer of a hit series, I would have a hard time ending it myself so can't blame them.

You younger folks didn't grow up with magic time that us old fogey's had. Premier week for all the new shows on the 3 nets happened in September, just as the New Car Models intro happened, it was a magic time. No way to record shows and you'd have to wait for summer reruns if you missed it and hope there would be some of your shows. Life was getting ready for your favorite shows to come on and deciding which you would watch because time shifting and recording 6 shows while watching 1 was decades off. And kids didn't get a vote, you watched what your parents watched, which is why Rob and Laura Petrie slept in twin beds. Richie was an immaculate conception and I always though he looked a lot like a young Jesus.
SoA didn't run too long, IMO. They just screwed the story up. It became too much of a soap opera, and then Jax just suddenly decides he's not strong enough to go on?? I hated the ending....not as much as I hated the ending of Lost, though. That was just stupid and uninspired, like he asked his 12 year old son what to do.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SoA didn't run too long, IMO. They just screwed the story up. It became too much of a soap opera, and then Jax just suddenly decides he's not strong enough to go on?? I hated the ending....not as much as I hated the ending of Lost, though. That was just stupid and uninspired, like he asked his 12 year old son what to do.
If they screwed the story up, wouldn't because it went too long be a reason? Sutter wasn't an experienced writer and neither was Abrams, they didn't know exactly where they were going. And certainly didn't know they were going to be going that long.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If they screwed the story up, wouldn't because it went too long be a reason? Sutter wasn't an experienced writer and neither was Abrams, they didn't know exactly where they were going. And certainly didn't know they were going to be going that long.
But there are shows that have the premise to continue for a long time, with good writing. I think SoA was one of those. He could have brought in writers to keep up the quality, and I think the show would have lasted longer. Maybe he just got tired of doing it.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score

After awhile I wondered how the small city handled 10 murders an episode. :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Picard: "Seven of Nine!"
Seven: "You owe me a ship Picard."
*thud*

I have officially caught up on Picard. :laugh: I love the show so far.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Just finish watching the entire Breaking Bad series for like the 8th time. Now I'm watching El Camino.

I'm not one that usually will revisit television shows but Breaking Bad definitely qualified. I loved it as much the second time through as I did the first too!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WWII in Color - Netflix. I am only 2 episodes in but if you are a WWII fan as I am, it is interesting. So far, since we were not in it yet except in the RAF, it's British WWII historians recounting the details from historical fact and eyewitness accounts, reminds me of the end of each Band of Brothers episode with the real men being portrayed.

What has always fascinated me about WWII is how the decisions made, or not made, affected the outcome. In the early years, 1940, both sides missed a great opportunity to end it with complete victory but the decision was not made. There are so many instances of that in almost every major battle in the air, on land and at sea. Battle of the Bulge and Midway are prime examples of that.

If you watch it, there is stock footage throughout the first 2 episodes but there is a finite amount of any other footage so they have to use some of that to tell the story.

One thing I've discovered early on because my interest actually starts with the US's involvement but it's been said that America jumped in and saved Britain's bacon and they were quite capable of saving their own. One mistake Hitler and Goring made early on was underestimating their resolve and resiliency to defend their homeland.