****ULTIMATE T.OWENS THREAD *MERGE*

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
The Viks and Culpepper didn't know what it was to be without Moss and it is not like they don't have other major issues to deal with as well. The Eagles were winners before Owens arrived and they will make do without him again. They won the NFC Title without him last year. Not only do I think it won't hurt them I think they will actually be better without him. I HOPE it hurts them but I just don't believe that it will.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
The Viks and Culpepper didn't know what it was to be without Moss and it is not like they don't have other major issues to deal with as well. The Eagles were winners before Owens arrived and they will make do without him again. They won the NFC Title without him last year. Not only do I think it won't hurt them I think they will actually be better without him. I HOPE it hurts them but I just don't believe that it will.
Thank you.

That's exactly what I said and I am one of the ones who believes this as well.

The Vikings/Moss is not comparable to the Eagles/TO.
Totally different circumstance.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
People who believe Philly will be better without Owens should look at the vikings

First of all, apples & Oranges. They're two different teams. The Eagles WILL be better w/o Owens. He's the cancer that just got removed. Unless that cancer had already spread (so to speak) they will be "better".

Second of all, the Vikings ship was gonna sink (pun intended) regardless of whether Moss was there or not.

ZRO

Reaction score
Losing TO isn't going to do anything but hurt their offense. People expecting them to revert back to some great team without Owens are mistaken.

It will help team chemistry, no doubt about that. But it won't help the fact that they have no running game, or that McNabb is in no condition to be currently playing, or that they have one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL and give up 23 points a game.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
People expecting them to revert back to some great team without Owens are mistaken.

DId anyone actually make that claim?

They will be BETTER without Owens. I never said they'd be "some great team" w/o Owens. And it will help A TON with their team chemistry. And they only reason they have no running game is cuz they don't call running plays. They CHOOSE to throw the ball. They aren't FORCED to throw the ball.

ZRO

Reaction score
Well they're 4-3 right now, which IMO makes them a good team. If they are going to be better without Owens, the next step would be great.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
The vikings offense is a preview of what the eagles are going to be like without Owens.

They won't be able to pass the ball or run the ball.
The Problem with guys like TO and Moss is the culture it creates.
That culture remained in Minny even with Moss gone.

Is Minny better without Moss? YES!
Crazy? I don't think so. I expect them now to actually clean up the organization and move on. Guys like Culpepper, Mewelde Moore and Bryant McKinnie need to be the backbone of that organization not ringleaders for all the dirt they do. Any chance of getting them in line meant losing Moss.

They weren't anything of note with Randy Moss so it was time to go another direction.

TO is a different story IMHO.

He is determined to free himself from Philly so he can get 1 last big contract making him the highest paid WR in the league. BUT, Philly is also a SB caliber team who seems made up of pros TO aside. They aren't going to keep him for 5 more years so getting through 2 more at most should be doable. I think they made the right move here. His ankle was a but gimpy and he had been a malcontent. Hit him in the pocket where it hurts most and he'll quickly learn to shut up and play ... at least until the end of the year which has to be their goal at this point.

lspain1

Reaction score
The Eagles will live and die on the strength of their defense as long as they remain so one dimensional. TO was a major contributor to the explosiveness of the offense last year and this year. Before that their offense was only as good as McNabb's ability to run around and make plays. Well, Mc Nabb is hurt and that dimension is not available right now.

One of the reasons Westbrook has been unhappy is he doesn't feel that they have given him a chance to carry the ball 20 times in a game and let him show what he can do. However, there have been a few questions about his durability because he missed a couple of games last year. Reid has been unwilling to give Westbrook that role even though Westbrook's stats indicate he might be successful. My guess is he gets his chance starting tonight.

Washington's run defense was exposed last week. Philadelphia will attempt to control time of posession and let their defense stifle the skins. I think the iggles win tonight. We'll see.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference between the Eagles of '05 w/o TO and the Eagles of '02 w/o TO is that this Eagles team doesn't have the running game that did. You just don't wake up in the morning and say, "You know we were a 70% passing team before... I think we're going to be a 70% running team now" and be as effective as one thinks. It just doesn't work that way. Westbrook isn't a 20 carry per game back. Their lineman aren't use to running the ball the majority of the time. And personally I've always felt that Westbrook was effective mainly becasuse of the passing game and the fear teams had of that part of the Eagles' offense.

And also remember Pinkston is gone too... this is a major blow for the Eagles no matter how you slice it.

ghst187

Reaction score
ZRO said:
Losing TO isn't going to do anything but hurt their offense. People expecting them to revert back to some great team without Owens are mistaken.

It will help team chemistry, no doubt about that. But it won't help the fact that they have no running game, or that McNabb is in no condition to be currently playing, or that they have one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL and give up 23 points a game.

I agree. The Iggles had more players and were healthy the last few years when they won without TO. They've lost a ton of people to FA and injuries.
I think that without TO last year, they wouldn't have made the SB due to the fact that they probably would not have had home field advantage, which IMO is why they beat the falcons. Sure BO didn't play but he was a BIG, MEGA, HUGE reason they got to play at home throughout the playoffs. I think TO singlehandedly kept Philthy more competitive than maybe they should've been last season.

I think the Minny-philthy comparison IS justified. Neither had good running games, both have similar QBs....both teams had a lockerroom cancer WR that FORCED the opposing defenses to specifically game plan around them. And even when the defense did that, the WR would still catch balls and score. Losing Moss or Owens is like losing your #4 in the lineup homerun hitter. They singlehandedly make their teams more potent on offense even if no other reason other than the defense has to pay them so much attention.

Now having said all that, sure Minny's problems go well beyond Randy Moss but who doesn't think Minny might have 1 or 2 more wins and Culpepper 2 or 4 less INTs if they still had Moss? Are they better off as a team without him? Depends on if you measure "better as a team" in W's and offensive stats or you measure it in lockerroom chemistry.
Same for Philthy. Their offense is instantly going to be less, and less dangerous. Its going to be harder for them to score points period. Will philthy be better off? Depends on what you define as "better off."

PS, and trust me, this is all said with as much loathing for both players as anyone could have.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Philthy knew what they were getting and wanted him anyway. They deserve everything that comes with that thug. Class? HA! Class is getting TO, and putting up with all that crap, while at the same time screwing around with a guy with real class and real history with the team, Westbrook.
Steven A Smith had a take on this point in today's press.

Posted on Sun, Nov. 06, 2005

This time, Owens isn't the bad guy

By Stephen A. Smith

Inquirer Columnist

Usually, it's good to see a bully slapped silly, put firmly in his place, then sent home - just like belligerent toddlers are - to sit and wallow in the consequences of his actions.

Terrell Owens isn't about to get any sympathy cards here, or anywhere else, after his latest diatribe against all things green and white. But before the chorus singing for his departure swells to deafening proportions, don't forget to spew some venom at your beloved Philadelphia Eagles.

They are the main enablers in this fiasco, regardless of what they hoped their suspension of Owens would accomplish.

If you looked aghast and covered your mouth in disbelief after hearing Owens echo ESPN NFL analyst Michael Irvin's assertion that the Eagles would be "better with Brett Favre as their quarterback," no one can blame you. And after Owens' tirade over the Eagles' failure to acknowledge his 100th career touchdown reception a couple of weeks ago versus the San Diego Chargers, the indefinite suspension he received yesterday hardly came as a surprise.

"They claim to be first class and the best organization," Owens told ESPN.com earlier in the week. "It's an embarrassment. It just shows a lack of class they have."

Class... and Owens.

Welcome to Philadelphia's definition of an oxymoron.

Except this latest incident involving Owens isn't about Owens at all.

For starters, the Eagles swear that while they don't usually acknowledge individual accomplishments over the public-address system during games (stop laughing!), they did tell the press room and the TV network. Believe what you will, because that's not really the point.

The Eagles knew their star wideout wanted to get paid. If not, then he wanted to be waived or traded. They said no on all three counts, flexed their muscles in Owens' face, then threw that seven-year, nearly $48 million deal he signed at him - with smirks on their faces.

Coach Andy Reid is no innocent bystander here. Neither are president Joe Banner and owner Jeffrey Lurie, the patriarch of this "gold standard" and the man who cuts the checks, and apparently has sat idly by and allowed Owens to infect the Eagles' locker room with his childishness since Aug. 1.

And let's not even get started on the players, who are as culpable as anyone.

The only victim in this fiasco is Donovan McNabb. This cannot be disputed. For all his inconsistencies, all his flaws, the one thing he's always been is class personified. Especially away from the playing field.

The Eagles' $112 million quarterback, known as much for Campbell's soup commercials, has been a paragon of virtue. He's never spoken against Owens or any of his teammates. He's always been aboveboard. And when he said he'd handle stuff privately, at least he tried.

The same cannot be said of his teammates. Every single one of them has been soft, acting as if they're scared of Owens, regardless of what they tell you. When the franchise player is continually berated publicly by his teammate and that teammate is still allowed to saunter in and out of a locker room unencumbered, what else can be said for the rest of the players sharing that locker room?

The only individual known for speaking up for McNabb is Hugh Douglas. And he's no longer in uniform.

Reid is fond of saying, "We'll handle this situation in-house, just like we always have. You guys know that."

Well, no, we don't know! Because, evidently, it's never been handled.

From the moment it became clear to Owens that he wasn't going to get his money, both Owens and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said there would be trouble. Instigated by Owens.

Yet, Reid did nothing. Lurie did nothing.

And the players, in their infinite nausea, simply kept saying, "It's really not a big deal. We're a family."

Just embarrassing!

As for Owens, he may be a fool - considering what he's cost himself in the long run - but he isn't the bad guy here. Owens is paid to play football, and he's done that much. Case closed.

The rest of the onus falls on the Eagles, who didn't just want football, but capitulation as well. Owens made it clear that would be the last thing they received, and they kept him around anyway.

The Eagles knew they were endangering their team chemistry and, possibly, McNabb's stellar reputation, but went along - purely because of the kind of pride and ego they swear is monopolized by Owens.

For this, they should be forced to live with the consequences.

Owens doesn't have a choice anymore. Why should the Eagles deserve one?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact columnist Stephen A. Smith at 215-854-5846 or ssmith@phillynews.com. Read his recent work at http://go.philly.com/stephensmith.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
I know this belongs in the NFL Zone, but just for a few laughs...Mods, please leave it up for awhile?

From the NJ Star Ledger

http://www.nj.com/eagles/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1131270006260941.xml&coll=5

Suspended Eagle Owens got in a fight with Douglas
Sunday, November 06, 2005
By MARK ECKEL
Staff Writer

PHILADELPHIA - When Terrell Owens acted up in training camp, called out offensive coordinator Brad Childress and criticized quarterback Donovan McNabb, he was sent home for a week, but not suspended.

When Owens wore a Michael Irvin Dallas Cowboys throwback jersey after the Eagles lost to the Cowboys, 33-10, at Texas Stadium disrespecting anyone who ever played for or cheered for the Eagles, not only was he not reprimanded, head coach Andy Reid condoned his actions.

Owens went beyond all of that, when according to very reliable sources, he got into a fistfight with former Eagles defensive end and current team ambassador Hugh Douglas this past week in front of several teammates
. On top of that he said the team "lacked class" in an interview with ESPN.

The Eagles announced yesterday in a statement that Owens was suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team.

According to one of the sources the Owens-Douglas fight "was like WWE Smackdown."

Another source said both men threw at least two punches during the altercation and when it was over Owens challenged quarterback Donovan McNabb first and then everyone else in the room saying, "You want some. Anyone else want some."

Owens and Douglas, who coincidentally share the same agent, Drew Rosenhaus, have been at odds since training camp and almost got into an altercation in an elevator at Lehigh University.

When Owens demanded a new contract and threatened to hold out of camp, Douglas was one of the few players to step forward and say he should honor his current contract.

The Eagles refused to comment about the situation, other than the statement that revealed the suspension.

Owens was not at yesterday morning's walk-through and did not accompany the team on its trip to Washington for tonight's game, which will be nationally-televised on Owens' favorite station, ESPN.

Don't be shocked, however, if he shows up on air during the telecast.

While the Eagles were silent, around the league there were some smiles.

"This is exactly what he did his last year in San Francisco," one NFC man said. "That's when he started ripping Jeff Garcia every week. He never changed. He's the same guy."

An AFC personnel man also took enjoyment from the Eagles suffering.

"The only reason this didn't happen last year is because they were winning," he said. "All it takes is a couple of losses for this guy to show his true colors. But the Eagles are getting what they deserve."

According to Article VIII of the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement, a suspension for conduct detrimental to the team can last a maximum of four games. There are nine games left in the Eagles season.

Owens, if the suspension is without pay, will likely appeal to get back the $205,882 per game he would lose.

The team, however, could do what Tampa Bay did with wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson during the 2003 season.

Tampa did not "suspend" Johnson, but head coach Jon Gruden sent him home for the season with six games remaining and listed him as an inactive each week. Johnson was paid his full salary, and was traded to Dallas, in exchange for wide receiver Joey Galloway after the season.

If you're wondering what the Eagles might do with Owens after the season, forget the trade route. He's due a $7.5 million bonus in March. The team will surely release him rather than pay him and hope for a trade.

Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next

Page 3 of 4

Owens, knowing a suspension was possible, talked about it during his 20-minute Miami-based radio show, which is aired locally on WIP, Friday night.

"Hey, if I am suspended, I am," he said, asking to be called Javier during the show, because he felt he had been sent to the witness protection program. "That would be a discredit to the team and obviously it would hurt the team. It would be a sad situation. Those guys are going to do the best to win the game and I'll be behind those guys 100 percent."

Owens leads the Eagles in receptions with 47, in receiving yards with 763 and in touchdowns with six. He ranks third in the league in both receptions and yards and is second in receiving touchdowns.

In Owens' absence, Greg Lewis, a first-time starter this year, who did not even start in college at the University of Illinois, will be the team's No. 1 receiver. In seven games this season, Lewis has 26 receptions for 284 yards and one touchdown.

Rookie Reggie Brown, the team's second-round pick out of the University of Georgia, will make his first NFL start. Brown, as the team's No. 3 receiver, has nine catches for 108 yards and is still looking for his first touchdown.

Billy McMullen (two catches, 60 yards) and former Commander Darnerien McCants (one catch, 22 yards) will be the No. 3 and No. 4 receivers.

Owens' suspension ends a strange week that began with an ankle injury he suffered in last week's 49-21 loss to Denver.

After the game in the team locker room, word leaked that Owens injured his ankle even though he was not on the team's post-game report. An Eagles official was asked about the injury and re-stated that Owens was not on the report.

Monday, Reid did add Owens to the injury report and said he would undergo a MRI on his ankle.

Owens missed Wednesday's practice and was listed as doubtful for tonight's game. As only he can heal, Owens was back at practice, Thursday, and was upgraded to questionable.

Page 4 of 4

Thursday night when parts of his interview ran on ESPN's SportsCenter, the trouble began.

Owens agreed with his friend, Irvin, that if Green Bay's Brett Favre was the Eagles quarterback the team would be undefeated.

He did mention that if McNabb was healthy the team would have a better record as well.

What seemed to get him in trouble were his statements regarding the Eagles refusal to make a big deal out of his 100th receiving touchdown, which he scored at home against San Diego.

"That right there just shows you the type of class and integrity that they claim not to be," Owens said. "They claim to be first class and the best organization. It's an embarrassment. It just shows the lack of class they have.

"My publicist talked to the head P.R. guy (Derek Boyko) and they made an excuse they didn't recognize it was coming. But that was a blatant lie. Had it been someone else, they probably would have popped fireworks around the stadium."

This is the second time in his career Owens has been suspended. Former San Francisco head coach Steve Mariucci suspended him for one game after he danced on the star at Texas Stadium.

TLW47

Reaction score
Well they knew what they were getting when they signed him. A guy that can play lights out but acts like he's maybe 2 and that's on a good day. I don't feel sorry for the Eagles. Would they feel sorry for us? Nope. It's kind of fun watching them implode actually.

ghst187

Reaction score
And the big winner in all of this is................

Baltimore

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
And the big winner in all of this is................

Baltimore
LOL

You know there are some Baltimore fans with stripped gears (from slamming into reverse) this week.

The Curly One

Reaction score
I think even with McNabb's injury he may still be better than Farve this year. Both are elite QB's and having a bad year. I think Farve is rapidly declining die to age and McNabb is injured. I think that when McNabb gets healthy he will return to form. Do not see Farve ever returning to his glory days. IMO.
Do not get me wrong, I do not like the Eagles and would like to see them get their butt kicked every game but you have to respect the talent of McNabb like it or not. If you do not respect him he will beat you, he will scramble and beat you, he will go deep and beat you. Know his strenghts and weaknesses and work on them to shut them down.
Here in the Cowboyszone we do not live in a dillutional (SP) world like the Commanders. We do not blame losses on Wellington Mara dying or some other bull excuse. When we lose it is because the other team played better and we made mistakes. It is our job to identify and correct those mistakes so we win next time.
Curly

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Some team will still pick him up and he'll eventually cause the same type of problems.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
There is a little story that I told my daughters to apply to their evaluation of any men who come into their lives.

A little girl was walking down the road when she heard a voice behind her.
"Little girl, please carry me to the end of the road by the field."
Looking around she saw a snake following her and she replyed, "No I won't carry you, you'll bite me...Your a Snake!"
The snake begged and pleaded and pleaded and begged and each time the little girl gave the same reply. Finally after the snake swore many times that he would not bite her the little girl gave in and picked him up. She got within a few yards of the field and sure enough the snake bit her.
"But you Promised..you Swore that you would not bite me. I just can't believe that you would bit me after I carried you all that way," The little girl protested.
And the Snake replyed, "Oh stop your whining...You knew what I was when you picked me up."

And that is my response to the Eagles. They knew what he was when they picked him up.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
The irony in all this is that albeit unintentionally, Michael Irvin had a hand in potentially dismantling the team belonging to the fans that cheered while he lay motionless on the carpet at Veteran's Stadium.