Undisputed: What is the root of the Cowboy's ongoing contract mess?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yesterday on NFL Live they talked about how if Prescott left for free agency that he would reset the QB market, basically 60 million a year.

Dallas made that mistake once. I don't think they make it again. They let Prescott walk after 2024 is my prediction.
Not so sure about that figure. Considering Dak's continuing failure in playoff situations, hard to see some other team setting the market with him.

Now would Dak get like $55 million or so?

Likely, since there are so many quarterbacks over $50 per year average already. And not saying Dak wouldn't' get the $60 million, anything's possible.

Well, we'll see....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
When Jerry did Dak's current contract, Dak was still an unproven player.
Can't agree with that, Cowboys were 40-24 after Dak's first 3 years, with a playoff win and a rookie MVP award. Jerry did jump the gun on Dak, but unproven? In the modern NFL after 3 years, you're considered a veteran player and there's usually plenty of evidence to judge a player on.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Demarco Murray actually won the offensive mvp and nobody cared. Dak finishes second and it’s an iconic moment for Dakies. Go figure.
Not only that, but after the incredible record breaking season he had , jones boys low ball him with 4 mil per year offer.
That team with murray, had true SB potential.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’ve been saying for years, a franchise QB is the only thing that can turn Jerry’s world around. It will take that to overcome our inept GM.
not really, they need a good HC and staff, a good OL. a really good defense too. Foles won a SB with a good team. He did play very good in playoffs
and SB. But you really dont need a josh allen to win a SB.
Mahomes is a difference maker, but there is only one of him.

As for dak, I would rather have a cheap good QB, than a maybe "franchise QB" that you have to pay 60 mil or more to have him.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The root is having non-football people in charge.
It has moved beyond that. What we are seeing is a miracle. Even choosing random people from the stands to manage the Cowboys would likely achieve better results just on pure random chance alone. The JonesBoys can't even get lucky for one stinking year.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Can't agree with that, Cowboys were 40-24 after Dak's first 3 years, with a playoff win and a rookie MVP award. Jerry did jump the gun on Dak, but unproven? In the modern NFL after 3 years, you're considered a veteran player and there's usually plenty of evidence to judge a player on.
Long term trends show that you should only give a second contract to a QB that at least made it to a SB on his rookie deal. Paying top dollar for good stats without a SB appearance is how you end up married to bad QB contracts.

raven55

Reaction score
dumb and dumber match made they know buss. but football they know nothing

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Long term trends show that you should only give a second contract to a QB that at least made it to a SB on his rookie deal. Paying top dollar for good stats without a SB appearance is how you end up married to bad QB contracts.
Or lock in a player who turns out well to a contract that's lower than what he would have gotten had you waited a year or two to sign him.

We all know how Jerry made his money - as an oil field wildcatter, which means you take risks. That's what he did with Dak. And as a matter of fact that's what he did when he bought the Cowboys, which was losing money big time at that point.

20-20 hindsight shows signing Dak when he did to the big contract wasn't a good move, but it could have also turned out very well.

Can't blame Jerry too much for Dak's first big contract, he had success making risky moves, that's just his nature. Had he not let the Walker trade go through, itself a big risk, we might not have had the 3 SBs in 4 years.

I'm not a Jerry fan, but at the time I agreed with the move....

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or lock in a player who turns out well to a contract that's lower than what he would have gotten had you waited a year or two to sign him.

We all know how Jerry made his money - as an oil field wildcatter, which means you take risks. That's what he did with Dak. And as a matter of fact that's what he did when he bought the Cowboys, which was losing money big time at that point.

20-20 hindsight shows signing Dak when he did to the big contract wasn't a good move, but it could have also turned out very well.

Can't blame Jerry too much for Dak's first big contract, he had success making risky moves, that's just his nature. Had he not let the Walker trade go through, itself a big risk, we might not have had the 3 SBs in 4 years.

No, I guess you can't blame him for the first big contract. But you can for repeating the mistake. Hopefully he doesn't

vlad

Reaction score

The root is Stephen imho. He’s terrible at this, he literally said for no reason that the highest rb salary in the league was the floor for a holding out Zeke. That is the only story that needs to be told, but then you have Dak, Gallup, and I’m sure others i am not thinking about. I’m sure he’s had good contracts too but i can’t think of any

kskboys

Reaction score
Not so sure about that figure. Considering Dak's continuing failure in playoff situations, hard to see some other team setting the market with him.

Now would Dak get like $55 million or so?

Likely, since there are so many quarterbacks over $50 per year average already. And not saying Dak wouldn't' get the $60 million, anything's possible.

Well, we'll see....
Not sure I see a team who would pay him that. If there is one, they can't be a contender, as they wouldn't have the cap room to sign him.

Which team has the cap room to sign him? We don't, that's for sure.

kskboys

Reaction score

No, it couldn't have turned out really well. Signing Dak to that team sabotaging short term deal made sure we would not have the pieces for a super bowl run.

Chasing6

Reaction score

The value of the Cowboys has only gone up over
the last 8 years.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And cowturd or Stephen A and anyone else with anti/Dak drivel
Stephen A was one of his biggest supporters to get that last contract.
Can you explain why one of the biggest Dallas critics or haters (Using a word you cherish) wanted Dak to get that deal?
It's not hard to understand why esp if you have witnessed the waste in our last 3 playoff games!!!
Stephen A is a happy man!!!!!!!!!!!