Upgrade the quarterback position and all our problems with the offensive line are solved

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
put garrett in, he kicks dak's butt in practice, well crap just about everybody who competes against him does. Ooops I haven't actually heard of anyone who hasn't beat him in competition. Maybe that's why garrett didn't want a competition in 2016. lmao..

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
The offensive line isn't exactly amazing right now, but that's partially due to the fact that defenses are sending 8 or 9 rushers each time. No line can survive that. Dak has install fear in defensive coordinators every time they blitz him. If he's not the guy, we have to draft one.

-Martin is not the problem

-Collins is not the problem

-Tyron Smith is not the problem

-The rookie at guard is not the problem.

These guys didn't suddenly wake up one day and forgot to play their position. Their job is just harder with Prescott as the trigger man.
Yeah, just dial 1-800-quarterback and all our problems are solved............oh wait, we still have the same owners and coaches......

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The offensive line isn't exactly amazing right now, but that's partially due to the fact that defenses are sending 8 or 9 rushers each time. No line can survive that. Dak has install fear in defensive coordinators every time they blitz him. If he's not the guy, we have to draft one.

These guys didn't suddenly wake up one day and forgot to play their position. Their job is just harder with Prescott as the trigger man.

You know what else makes it harder? Predictable plays that are easy to defend.

Using play action 5 times in 40 pass plays is nuts, especially when you have Zeke. Basically, you're just letting the defense tee off on the QB. Using motion 3 times also makes it easy on the defense.

QB play is only part of the problem.

Trueboysfan

Reaction score
I just read an article that claimed that Dak has the 3rd most time allowed to pass the ball. That seems like a pretty QB friendly stat. Dak hasn't been even an average caliber qb in the last 9 or 10 games. I am rooting for the guy and while he is part of the problem, I don't think he's the majority of the problem. I feel like the predictability of the play calling has more to do with it than anything. Honestly it feels like I'm playing my little brother on Tecmo bowl who doesn't hide his play pick. Not making an excuse for Dak, just think the problem with the Cowboys offense is way more than just Dak.

Trueboysfan

Reaction score
If I had the option of replacing Prescott or Garrett. First and foremost it's Garrett. I'd like to see another QB, but coaching definitely needs an upgrade before that happens.
100% agree....coaching is key in any sport! It can make an average team great or destroy a great team. See Parcells as cowboys coach vs Barry Switzer

JustChip

Reaction score

Actually, they are the problem - AT TIMES. Dak is the problem - AT TIMES. There is absolutely no absolutes in the offensive struggles. A 10 year veteran QB would make a difference just based on experience, but to say the OL is totally blameless is patently wrong.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Nor did our QB suddenly fall off a cliff. Reality check: the o-line of 2014, 2015, 2016 has 2 players in common and one is not playing well. It isn't any surprise that the O-line has been a mess since the beginning of 2017. Experiments, Martin is the only commonality and T Smith isn't what he once was.. Not saying it's all on the O-line but go ahead, tell me this line is being touted as the best in the league. It isn't exactly amazing right now? What is it then? I would say not effective and not playing well together is a description too. No it's not all on the O-line but not all on Prescott as you suggest either. If they're gonna blitz 8-9 guys run Zeke or Smith at them.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I am curious about Mike White. He came with some real hype, hopefully it was justified. I know preseason was crap but who knows. That said yeah we need to be very aggressive about getting our franchise qb.

Unfortunately the only real hype on White was from fans on here who picked the hype from others (which was 100% inconclusive about what he was) and posted it. From NFL Draft profile:

Overview
White saw major downturns in every important passing category this year, but evaluators will have to balance his inconsistent play against the porous protection he got. White has good size and a live arm which is enough to get him drafted, but if he doesn't do a better job of recognizing blitzes and making decisions faster, his arm talent won't matter. White has QB3 potential with a shot to move up the ladder as a backup.

Weaknesses
  • Heavy feet take time to set up in the pocket
  • Struggled to deal with poor protection
  • Lacks feel for pressure off the edges and drops his eyes when he sees pocket push
  • Pocket mobility is poor
  • Was responsible for his share of the 46 sacks
  • Sluggish processor when initial reads are covered
  • Stayed on covered targets rather than finding better options
  • Relies too heavily on arm over anticipation
  • Looks lethargic when trying to roll and throw
  • Fumbled 12 times this year and 17 times over two seasons
NFL Comparison
Zach Mettenberger

JustChip

Reaction score
Unfortunately the only real hype on White was from fans on here who picked the hype from others (which was 100% inconclusive about what he was) and posted it. From NFL Draft profile:

Overview
White saw major downturns in every important passing category this year, but evaluators will have to balance his inconsistent play against the porous protection he got. White has good size and a live arm which is enough to get him drafted, but if he doesn't do a better job of recognizing blitzes and making decisions faster, his arm talent won't matter. White has QB3 potential with a shot to move up the ladder as a backup.

Weaknesses
  • Heavy feet take time to set up in the pocket
  • Struggled to deal with poor protection
  • Lacks feel for pressure off the edges and drops his eyes when he sees pocket push
  • Pocket mobility is poor
  • Was responsible for his share of the 46 sacks
  • Sluggish processor when initial reads are covered
  • Stayed on covered targets rather than finding better options
  • Relies too heavily on arm over anticipation
  • Looks lethargic when trying to roll and throw
  • Fumbled 12 times this year and 17 times over two seasons
NFL Comparison
Zach Mettenberger

Good post. The bolded were consistent critiques regardless of who's draft profile you read. And nothing in preseason indicated anything different. He may have a future, but it's that - a future. He's what Dak was supposed to be and not what Dak became - a multi-year project in the former and a starter in the later.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If Dak sucks then tell me how he completed 78% of his passes, had 25 TD's 4 int's and a passer rtg of 105 in 2016? Tell me how a ****** QB does that.

Do you think RG3 sucks? And where the hell did you get 78% of his passes being completed (Or 25 TDs for that matter?)?

Teams weren't sure exactly how Dak sucked. Now they are. Now they can destroy him, and they are.

How does a good QB play so terrible for 10 of 11 games?

silvrNblue

Reaction score

ROFL... if your that simple minded to think that simply replacing Dak will cure all this teams woes, boy have I got some beach front property to sell you! ROFL!!!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Good post. The bolded were consistent critiques regardless of who's draft profile you read. And nothing in preseason indicated anything different. He may have a future, but it's that - a future. He's what Dak was supposed to be and not what Dak became - a multi-year project in the former and a starter in the later.

White was sacked like 46 times his last year, and guess what, some of that was put on the porous O-line. Isn't that something! That 46 sacks was partially put on the O-line. Dak is headed for over 50 in a 16 game season. He has been sacked 34 times in the last 11 games. In the 11 games prior to that? 24. Tell me the O-line isn't part of the problem. Only Prescott haters make this all about Prescott. Go ahead, draft a QB first round next year and don't change the O-line one bit OR let's throw White out there. It would be fun too watch, no, it wouldn't

kskboys

Reaction score

Upgrade the OC, and our problems on O will disappear.

kskboys

Reaction score
If I had the option of replacing Prescott or Garrett. First and foremost it's Garrett. I'd like to see another QB, but coaching definitely needs an upgrade before that happens.
I still believe that we don't know what Dak can be, and will not know until we get a competent OC.

kskboys

Reaction score
It would certainly help if we didnt need to wait for our outdated route tree to allow for the players to be at their spots down the field in shorter time periods. Ive never seen slower developing routes in my life.
Mike Martz ruined Marc Bulger's career w/ these slow developing routes. And got Kurt Warner injured and shortened his career.

Reactions: CWR

birdwells1

Reaction score
The offensive line isn't exactly amazing right now, but that's partially due to the fact that defenses are sending 8 or 9 rushers each time. No line can survive that. Dak has install fear in defensive coordinators every time they blitz him. If he's not the guy, we have to draft one

You are wrong, I was told right here that our wr corp got bad overnight and it wasn't due to quarterback play. Lol