Video: Mayock's Top Five - CB/Safety

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
I agree with all those who don't like Mays. He's an athletic freak, but he never didn much in college. He was never overly impressive. I'm amazed people still fall in love with combine numbers. Especially for a safety.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
I see Mays as a 4th rounder. He reminds me of Thomas Davis in that he may be a better 4-3 OLB than a safety.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3283297 said:
If he goes top 5 and he isn't Ed Reed in a few years then someone reached.

Safeties should never go that high and Eric Berry doesn't look like a slam dunk superstar to me.

I'm speechless....

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Doctor32;3283282 said:
Just my guess. Myron Rolle of Florida State, and represented by Leigh Steinberg, will be a Dallas Cowboy in Round 2 or 3.

I like Earl Thomas and Nate Allen. But if we don't get either of those guys, I would love to get Myron Rolle. He is a very upstanding guy, who is very respectful to everyone, and is a student of the game. He may not be Ed Reed or Troy Palomalu, but I think he could be better than Hamlin.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Berry plays great and will test well. He is as pollished a safety as I have seen in a long time. Better prospect then taylor,polamalu,phillips,delmas and any other safety drafted in the last 10 years that I can think of. He is fast,tough,smart,instinctive. Catch17 must have never seen him play. Watch any game all season and you will see him make play after play. This isn't 1a and 1b with him and thomas. Thomas may be good but they aren't even comparable

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Hostile;3283088 said:
Your endorsement doesn't make me feel any more validated. Just like your scorn on those topics doesn't mean squat to me.

i beg to differ

stilltheguru

Reaction score
berry is overrated out of this world.......dont see whats so special about him

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
stilltheguru;3283447 said:
berry is overrated out of this world.......dont see whats so special about him

Besides accumulating 241 tackles, 14 ints (with 494 yards in returns on that 35 yards avg return on int), 3 TDs,3 sacks over 3 years, in the best conference in football? He had one penalty called against him in 3 years.

Berry left college leading all NCAA players in total interceptions, interceptions per game, interception return yards, and interceptions returned for touchdowns

He is clearly the best Safety in the draft, and to say he overrated is just crazy. Troll.

College awards.
  • 2009 Unanimous All-American
  • 2000s ESPN All-Decade High School Football Team
  • 2000s RivalsHigh.com Team Of The Decade First Team
  • 2000s Sports Illustrated All-Decade Team
  • 2009 Jim Thorpe Award
  • 2009 Bronko Nagurski Award Finalist
  • 2009 Lott Award Finalist
  • 2009 Jack Tatum Award Winner
  • 2009 First-team All-SEC (Coaches, AP)
  • 2008 Unanimous All-American
  • 2008 National Defensive Sophomore of the Year (Collegefootballnews.com)
  • 2008 SEC Defensive Player of the Year
  • 2008 Jack Tatum Award Winner
  • 2008 First-team All-SEC (Coaches, AP)
  • 2008 Vince Dooley Award
  • 2008 Jim Thorpe Award Finalist
  • Unanimous 2007 First-team Freshman All-American
  • 2007 National Defensive Freshman of the Year (Collegefootballnews.com)
  • 2007 SEC Freshman Defensive Player of the Year (Sporting News)
  • 2007 Second-team All-SEC (Coaches, AP)
  • 2007 All-SEC Freshmen Team
  • 2007 All-SEC Freshmen Academic Honor Roll
  • 2006 Georgia High School Player of the year (gatorade)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Muhast;3283488 said:
Besides accumulating 241 tackles, 14 ints (with 494 yards in returns on that 35 yards avg return on int), 3 TDs,3 sacks over 3 years, in the best conference in football? He had one penalty called against him in 3 years.

Berry left college leading all NCAA players in total interceptions, interceptions per game, interception return yards, and interceptions returned for touchdowns

He is clearly the best Safety in the draft, and to say he overrated is just crazy. Troll.

College awards.
  • 2009 Jim Thorpe Award
The sad thing is, he won't get what you are saying.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Muhast;3283488 said:

College awards.
  • 2009 Jim Thorpe Award

That's all?

He's such overrated trash.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Why is everyone discounting the fact that these players are not refined?

None of them are going to be what they were in college after they are placed on an NFL roster and coached up by professionals.

Taylor Mays has natural talent. More than the other players on this list. He's obviously done 'something' while playing ball at USC to get his name on the top five list (Safeties) of every draft board in the country.

Will he be a great player in the NFL? No idea. Maybe it's about who drafts him and molds him while he's in the league.

And if the Cowboys draft him I would assume they think he could do what we saw Gerald Sensabuagh do this season.

I think they have a guy, Alan Ball, who would fit the mold of rangy center fielder who can't really lay the wood on a consistent basis to play FS.

Maybe it's because we are all assuming the Cowboys (if they do go Safety) are drafting a guy to replace Hamlin. I think Sensabaugh was solid this season, but he was far from an All Pro and he's trying to get something more than a one year deal. He was in on some allowed TD's this season so let's not act like he's a lock to be back on this team.

I can't decide between Mays and Allen because I am not sure what position I am drafting for yet. I am not sure the Cowboys are either. The CB position on this team is very secure. Safety, not so much.

Reaction score
I'm not a Mays fan... Doesn't play the ball well enough for me. I'm hoping Nate Allen falls to the 2nd round. Dallas should draft a LT in the 1st round.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
The Realist;3283288 said:
I'm not a Mays fan at all, but just for sake of argument.........

Jay Ratliff made no plays in college in my book.

Take that Jimmy.

Was Ratliff a 4yr starter?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Hostile;3283492 said:
The sad thing is, he won't get what you are saying.

so because of everything he posted it means that he cant be overrated? the ony sad thing is that you dont get what i said.

and muhast save the troll garbage and talk football. me defending TO has alot of you guys panties in a bunch.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
stilltheguru;3283708 said:
so because of everything he posted it means that he cant be overrated? the ony sad thing is that you dont get what i said.
If all you said was "overrated" you might be right for a change. You also said that you, "dont see whats so special about him" so you got an education. How you choose to use your new found knowledge is up to you, but for now, it seems I was right. You didn't get what he was saying.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Mays just does not look like a FS that will really benefit us in the current state of the NFL. Frankly he did not make that m any plays in college, and that is what we need. 4 year starter and not many plays. Since in college its still more balanced as pass vs run then the NFL has become, his play making weaknesses were not shown that much. PASS.