Was it a mistake by JG to go for the 58 yd fg try?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DandyDon52, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

7,530 Messages
    2,504 Likes Received
    ? :huh:

2. DandyDon52

DandyDon52 Well-Known Member

8,176 Messages
    4,338 Likes Received
    good point, and that would be aggressive and probably a surprise to seattle and us fans.

glimmerman likes this.
  3. CowboysFaninHouston

7,530 Messages
    2,504 Likes Received
    proven what? he was let go by redskins...he wasn't that good not had the leg for long kicks.... he is just a grass is greener on the otherside......I don't like that option. it makes us worse.

4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

50,807 Messages
    78,412 Likes Received
    Proven to be a more accurate NFL kicker than our CFL guy.

I don't care what you like.

5. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

9,457 Messages
    11,482 Likes Received
    A coin toss? A 58 yard FG? No, it was not.

DandyDon52 likes this.
  6. CowboysFaninHouston

7,530 Messages
    2,504 Likes Received
    he was 80% kicker this year. 84% last year and he was cut..... similar percentage to Maher.

and I feel the same...I don't care about your choice....you just made the team worse....

7. CowboysFaninHouston

7,530 Messages
    2,504 Likes Received
    a fake punt, you snap the ball 15 yards back....which would put the ball at our 44. assuming he gets 6-10 yards then about same spot. if they do a short snap to the up back and he gets caught in the back field. that's about the 40-45 yards line...so its about the same..... probability of a fake punt working on a 4th and 10....really really really really really really small. this would have been a more stupid call

8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

92,992 Messages
    18,078 Likes Received
    I don't complain about him not being passive or aggressive. I look at the situation at hand and given that situation I would have punted it. I don't think him sending out the kicker to try a kick of 58 makes Garrett a bad coach only stating I would have punted it, had it been my call. As I pointed out you can look at overall odds and the odds of the individual player and Maher was 6 for 6 on kicks of 50 plus so it was not out of the question he could make it which is why I stated I do not think it was stupid. I just felt at that point and time it would have been a better option of punting. Just a difference of opinion

DandyDon52 likes this.
  9. CowboysFaninHouston

7,530 Messages
    2,504 Likes Received
    judgement call. I don't disagree with your thought process. I don't think it was stupid or mistake.

10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

92,992 Messages
    18,078 Likes Received
    I agree it is a judgement call. If I have a kicker who has shown he can't hit the long kick then yes it would be stupid but Maher has shown 6 out of 6 times leading up to that kick that he can drill it. I'm not the coach but had it been my call I would have punted it.

CowboysFaninHouston likes this.
  11. kskboys

9,457 Messages
    11,482 Likes Received
    Disagree. Just because a bad call works out, that does not make it a good call.

d_cowboy31 and DandyDon52 like this.
  12. MyFairLady

MyFairLady Well-Known Member

345 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    Seemed pretty risky to me. I would have punted. I guess it all depends on what you think the chances of him making the kick are versus the chances Seattle scores on the short field. I would have given him at best 25% to make with Seattle at maybe 30% to score on short field. I suppose though 3 points for us 25% of the time versus 3 points for them 22.5% of the time seems logical.

13. Praxit

Praxit Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    1,953 Likes Received
    .. I think that goes for any kicker in the league. 48+ and your asking for trouble. 40 under is the safety net. I think JG was playing to win the game and get ahead. Thanks for that tidbit on spotting the ball. I also thought LOS was where the ball was spotted. That's basically a 10 yd difference.

14. kskboys

9,457 Messages
    11,482 Likes Received
    Opting for a 58 yd FG try does not equate to being aggressive.

cern likes this.
  15. TexasHillbilly

TexasHillbilly Well-Known Member

818 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    I didn't know Wentz could kick. lol

16. cern

cern Well-Known Member

5,180 Messages
    6,484 Likes Received
    I would have punted. giving hawks that field position was a bad idea. but due to the game's final score, it's a forgiveable mistake.

17. Mr_437

Mr_437 Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    1,746 Likes Received
    Nah because Carroll tried to one up JG and trot out Seabass for a 58 yard and he pulled an azs muscle, which, kinda cost them the game.

DandyDon52 likes this.
  18. DandyDon52

8,176 Messages
    4,338 Likes Received
    yeah I didnt know either, it is a odd rule to place ball where it is kicked from, instead of LOS.
    it seems they want to discourage fg attempts ?

Praxit likes this.
  19. Praxit

Praxit Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    1,953 Likes Received
    ......lol... or make it more risky. I mean, like really roll the dice..

cern likes this.
  20. DandyDon52

8,176 Messages
    4,338 Likes Received
    yeah i could say these 2 hc are dumb and dumber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.