We're playing for the 6 seed

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I have more respect for someone having conviction, right or wrong, than being wishy-washy and essentially hiding in plain sight.

And one side can't expect something of another that they themselves can't measure up to.

Sticking with ones team and continue to pull for, and think they can win isn’t wishy washy. Those of us on that side haven’t change our position because of a rough streak or because everything or anything is not going our teams way. We are simply sticking by our team and not being a fair weather fans.

It’s easy to be positive about your team when everything is going well. In sports and life, for that matter, it’s about not letting bad times rule you and change ones way. The bad times define us all.

Some may say Wishy washy is: Things are going well, I like my team!!”
“Things aren’t going well, I hate my team”

Look man. I’m with you. It’s tough for me too. This team’s success is a part of my happiness. I choose to stick by them even though I’m VERY down on the coaching staff. I think the op did a nice job of laying out a possible path to the playoffs and I support that attitude of not giving up. This is an attitude I learned playing sports and that’s probably why I have the same attitude as a fan.

Get Zeke back and who knows. We could be the hot team no one wants to play.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It drives me crazy how many hypocrites here talk all kinds of trash about the players quitting, even after the loss to the Broncos, and they automatically write off the season and quit on the team.

Some people conveniently forget that the teams we're competing against for a playoff spot also have injuries and get this, get this....they also lose games due to bad coaching decisions!
Excellent point. I wish I would’ve thought of that in my reply to another poster.

Hard to argue that.

aria

Reaction score
Exactly right. And then once everybody got comfortable and went back to "doing it their way", things got worse. Just like they did in the Green Bay playoff game last year. Pass happy.

Nice try. But nobody's asking for "same success". How about not folding like a cheap suit? How about marginally competitive. You know, like the Eagles are managing to "get by" with a coach who'd been on the job less than two years.

I expect him to coach. But that's obviously asking too much of the guy since he's incapable of it.

Some fans will always blame the players for a coach's failings.

And when that entire group of players has been swapped out and the results still suck? Yeah, just blame the new players.

:facepalm:
Yeah, when you have a GM/Owner that continually drafts the way Jerry has (until very recently) and just replaces one mediocre player with another and doesn't address depth this is what happens.

Whatever though, I'm not going to sit here and say JG is a great coach. All I'm saying is the blame isn't solely on him and even with another coach minus BB or one or two others their record wouldn'tbe any different under the circumstances. Not to mention, good luck finding a good coach that's willing to put up with Jerry's BS. Keep cheering for the Cowboys to lose and expect some new coach to come in make water into wine with these players that the front office keeps giving the coaches.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Who's "miserable"?

I think a fan who still has expectations is a lot more "miserable" than one who has resigned themselves to what this team has and doesn't have. And where they're going and where they're not going.

I'm a fan, of course I'll watch.

And for the record, I'm not "thumbing my nose" at you or anybody else.

Do everybody a favor and stop projecting your own feelings on someone else.
Your rhetoric does imply thumbing your nose. Calling fans miserable for not giving up seems to imply this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sticking with ones team and continue to pull for, and think they can win isn’t wishy washy. Those of us on that side haven’t change our position because of a rough streak or because everything or anything is not going our teams way. We are simply sticking by our team and not being a fair weather fans.

No, the wishy-washy comes in when even the "positive" claims don't go past "they can win". Can? Yeah, i "can" win the lottery too. That claim has as much behind it.

It’s easy to be positive about your team when everything is going well. In sports and life, for that matter, it’s about not letting bad times rule you and change ones way. The bad times define us all.

And your attitude in life is one thing, it's weight on what a team does or doesn't do is completely different. You can influence your life.

Some may say Wishy washy is: Things are going well, I like my team!!”
“Things aren’t going well, I hate my team”

Look man. I’m with you. It’s tough for me too. This team’s success is a part of my happiness. I choose to stick by them even though I’m VERY down on the coaching staff. I think the op did a nice job of laying out a possible path to the playoffs and I support that attitude of not giving up. This is an attitude I learned playing sports and that’s probably why I have the same attitude as a fan.

Get Zeke back and who knows. We could be the hot team no one wants to play.

I'm sticking by them too, I'm still here. I'm just done kidding myself about who and what they are. And I'm done with this coaching staff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, when you have a GM/Owner that continually drafts the way Jerry has (until very recently) and just replaces one mediocre player with another and doesn't address depth this is what happens.

Whatever though, I'm not going to sit here and say JG is a great coach. All I'm saying is the blame isn't solely on him and even with another coach minus BB or one or two others their record wouldn'tbe any different under the circumstances. Not to mention, good luck finding a good coach that's willing to put up with Jerry's BS. Keep cheering for the Cowboys to lose and expect some new coach to come in make water into wine with these players that the front office keeps giving the coaches.

My own opinion, I think a good coach could come in and win with this team tomorrow.

That's how little I think of Garrett and this staff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your rhetoric does imply thumbing your nose. Calling fans miserable for not giving up seems to imply this.

I didn't bring up the term "miserable", that was someone trying to project that emotion on me when it's not there.

I'll be "miserable" if and when Garett comes back. Until then, I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Roy, you have to understand that from my perspective your posts are generally just foolish. Like, all of them. You misunderstand other peoples' posts and jump to the wrong conclusions about them. You misrepresent arguments and don't realize it. You come out against things like having enough 'data' to make an informed decision and then tout that proudly over and over again. You fail to understand simple concepts like what 'controlling your own destiny' means, and then embarrassingly bring it up over and over and over again in threads where it isn't relevant. You see the word 'quit' in a sentence, recognize that it's been used in a different context recently, and then go off again in what I take to be an inane ramble about how smart you are and about how you think my reputation is plummeting on the site.

In short, I have no regard for your thoughts about all 'this stuff you think you're getting right.' So, no, it doesn't kill me. I do wish you would stop following me around making threads worse by saying silly things, but I can't control that.

LOL....So you keep saying. Yet you continue to get it all wrong. The best part is you actually think people care about our little spats and you write as if doing so to an entire audience. Trust me.............No one but a few homers takes you seriously with your love for Garrett. How can anyone take you seriously? As far as following you around dont flatter yourself. I just respond to those posters that say laughable things or say smart things. You are the former. I probably post 30-40 times a day. If your going to hail Garrett as your long lost friend to the end, then you have to take the heat for it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL....So you keep saying. Yet you continue to get it all wrong. The best part is you actually think people care about our little spats and you write as if doing so to an entire audience. Trust me.............No one but a few homers takes you seriously with your love for Garrett. How can anyone take you seriously? As far as following you around dont flatter yourself. I just respond to those posters that say laughable things or say smart things. You are the former. I probably post 30-40 times a day. If your going to hail Garrett as your long lost friend to the end, then you have to take the heat for it.

It's not about me. I don't ask for your opinions about my posts or reputation. People are able to make up their own minds. The purpose of threads is for people to share opinions on football topics.

I answered your question because you specifically asked what I thought about your takes. I haven't asked your opinions about mine because it's not important. Nobody wants to read that stuff. Following me from thread to thread to tell me you can't believe I think what I think is tedious.

As for questions about my opinions on Garrett, that's fair game. If you want to talk football, do that.

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Making the playoffs, no question

Garrett WILL NOT BE FIRED THIS YEAR. Jerry has all but said he blames all of this on Goodell. We could go 5-11 and at most we'll change coordinators.
You are correct my friend, Jason Garrett will not be fired for missing the playoffs this season.

However, Jason Garrett might be fired if he misses the playoffs this season AND next season also.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
LOL.

This might be the lamest defense we see of Garrett. It's made quite often. Jerry stinks at hiring coaches so we might as well keep Garrett because while he's not that good, he's also not the worst coach ever.

I'd rather take a chance that Jerry gets lucky than continue down this useless path with Garrett.

Hey, this is progress bro.

At first he was going to be the next Tom Landry, then he was going to be an elite coach like Belicheck but just had to have some on the job training first, then it was that he was a good head coach that just made mistakes because he spent too much time calling plays but he will be good now that he is a walk around head coach, then it was that he is above average and the process would pay off if we are patient, then it was that while he is just an average coach he does work well with the dynamics of Jerry being involved that other big name coaches would not put up with..........

to now, FINALLY, even the homers recognize he sucks but hey, Jerry has sucked hiring coaches ever since Jimmy left so the next head coach will suck also, might as well just keep Garrett.

So over a period of 8 years we have gone from Garrett being the next Tom Landry to yea, he sucks, but Jerry aint going to hire anybody better. Like I said, progress.;)

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It’s only fair that those that have jumped off the bandwagon and nearly guarantee that we miss the playoffs not post, at all, during the playoffs. If we make them:)

Stand by your convictions.

Seems like a one-sided bet to me.

Its only fair that those saying we are going to make the playoffs put some skin in the game also...........if we fail to make the playoffs under the leadership of the great Jason Garrett, then those fans saying we still have a chance take a vacation until the draft.

Stand by your convictions also.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
There's a thread on the board right now asking whether to root for the Chargers or the Cowboys this week.

Think about the circumlocutions you have to go through to create that thread with a straight face and be oblivious to its implications. It's staggering.

Its actually a fairly logical argument to be made. If follows from the rules of the Socratic Method of debate, if A then B, if B, then C, thus if A then C.

A. Losing to the Chargers will all but guarantee no playoffs this year since being 5-6 requires running the table to even be considered at 10 wins
B. Jason Garrett will only be fired if we miss the playoffs, maybe both this year and next.
C. Losing to the Chargers will help facilitate the firing of Jason Garrett

Ergo, if A (losing to the Chargers eliminates us from realistic playoff contention), then B (Garrett will only be fired for missing playoffs), if B (Garrett will only be fired for missing playoffs), then C (losing to the Chargers will help facilitate the firing of Jason Garrett), thus if A (losing to the Chargers eliminates us from realistic playoff contention) then C (losing to the Chargers will help facilitate the firing of Jason Garrett).

So while it might be distasteful for some, there is a logical and sound reason to root for the Chargers to win on Thanksgiving if your ultimate goal is the firing of Jason Garrett.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its actually a fairly logical argument to be made. If follows from the rules of the Socratic Method of debate, if A then B, if B, then C, thus if A then C.

A. Losing to the Chargers will all but guarantee no playoffs this year since being 5-6 requires running the table to even be considered at 10 wins
B. Jason Garrett will only be fired if we miss the playoffs, maybe both this year and next.
C. Losing to the Chargers will help facilitate the firing of Jason Garrett

Ergo, if A (losing to the Chargers eliminates us from realistic playoff contention), then B (Garrett will only be fired for missing playoffs), if B (Garrett will only be fired for missing playoffs), then C (losing to the Chargers will help facilitate the firing of Jason Garrett), thus if A (losing to the Chargers eliminates us from realistic playoff contention) then C (losing to the Chargers will help facilitate the firing of Jason Garrett).

So while it might be distasteful for some, there is a logical and sound reason to root for the Chargers to win on Thanksgiving if your ultimate goal is the firing of Jason Garrett.

I think you're referring to a hypothetical syllogism and not the Socratic Method.

As for your syllogism, we can get into the playoffs without beating the Chargers. We can miss the playoffs without losing to the Chargers. There's no guarantee missing the playoffs will get Garrett fired (in fact, I think it's unlikely), and there's no guarantee whatsoever we'd also then miss the playoffs the following year.

So what you're really doing is rooting for a Cowboys loss for no good reason whatsoever and justifying it because you don't like a successful coach.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Eagles and Vikings are most likely going to run away with their divisions, we need them to win every NFC game from here out. Ideally, Philly has clinched everything by week 17 and sits everyone for our game.

NO or Carolina will win the south and the other most likely locks up the 5 seed. Again, we should be rooting for both. This only changes if Carolina stumbles and becomes competition for the 6 seed.

LA is two games up on Seattle but Seattle has beaten them once. We REALLY need LA to win the division and make Seattle compete with us for the 6 seed.

So what we will likely have is Dallas, Seattle, Atlanta, Detroit and GB competing for the 6 seed. I think we can reasonably assume GB is done because they are one of the worst teams in football without Rodgers and will likely be 5-9 or 6-8 before he could return.

So Dallas/Atlanta/Seattle/Detroit. First the bad news: Atlanta owns the tiebreaker over us. The good news: They have the most difficult final 6 games in the league. They play FOUR games against teams with 7 or more wins and two are on the road. 5 of their last 6 are division games. It's tough to see them finishing better than 9-7.

Likewise Seattle has a brutal schedule and they play us in Dallas when we'll have Zeke back. We effectively control our destiny vs them assuming they lose 1 more.

Detroit will be a problem, after Minnesota and Baltimore they finish the year with 4 should be wins. It's hard to see them not getting to 10 wins.

That leaves Dallas. We have four straight games against teams with losing records, including two at home on the awkward Thursday game schedules which historically really hurt the road team. At worst, we have to go 3-1 and sit at 8-6 going into the last two games. We then get Zeke back for Seattle (a must win) and Philly.

Best case scenario: We find a way against below average teams over the next 4 weeks, beat Seattle with Zeke and Philly sits Wentz and others week 17. That locks us in unless Detroit also hits 11 wins in which case we'd have some advanced tiebreaker scenarios.

If we finish 5-1, we will need help but still a chance.

Not sure we can, but if we can find SOME way to at least get to Oakland at 8-5 we give ourselves a chance. So this week isn't a "must win", but if we lose we need to win out. 10-6 is simply a must.
Hey thanks man for the breakdown but the long & short of it is that we are playing right into our own 8-8 hands. Thank the coaches for that. Garrett is a genius.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I didn't bring up the term "miserable", that was someone trying to project that emotion on me when it's not there.

I'll be "miserable" if and when Garett comes back. Until then, I'll remain cautiously optimistic.
You may not have brought it up, but you chose to use it. That’s,kind of, thumbing your nose.

I will be too if we keep him. Don’t think we have a choice nor any impact on the decision. We can all complain or you can bring back your boycott. I’m not sure either will work.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Seems like a one-sided bet to me.

Its only fair that those saying we are going to make the playoffs put some skin in the game also...........if we fail to make the playoffs under the leadership of the great Jason Garrett, then those fans saying we still have a chance take a vacation until the draft.

Stand by your convictions also.

We’re in the same place we’ve been. Pulling for our team to win and thinking there’s a decent possibility they will. We haven’t just jumped on the bandwagon. We’ve been on it. It’s you that are jumping off and making proclamations that we have no chance etc.

You’re fair weather fans. Which is fine. Own it. You’ve proclaimed we have no chance. Which is a firmly held belief. The definition of conviction. We’ve continued pulling for our team and argue that while the chances are less than when the season began, we still have a chance. A decent one as of now. That’s what we’ve been doing all season.

We have conviction that there’s still a good chance we make it. It’s quite different.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
No, the wishy-washy comes in when even the "positive" claims don't go past "they can win". Can? Yeah, i "can" win the lottery too. That claim has as much behind it.

And your attitude in life is one thing, it's weight on what a team does or doesn't do is completely different. You can influence your life.

I'm sticking by them too, I'm still here. I'm just done kidding myself about who and what they are. And I'm done with this coaching staff.

You were very positive last year. Negative the year before and positive the year before that. Negative before that.

Now you’re negative again. Seems wishy washy. ;)

I have give it to @Risen Star. He’s stayed the same since I’ve been on here. However, I’ve never heard him hope for us to lose.

Last edited: