What grade would you give defensive drafting under Garrett (2011-16)?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys defensive roster got worse since Garrett took over.
Look at linebackers : Bradie James, Sean Lee, and Keith Brooking> Sean Lee, Hitchens, and Gachkar

Dline : Ware, Hatcher, Bowen, Ratcliff, Marcus Spears, Spencer > Lawrence, Irving, McClain, T Crawford, Mayowa and whoever else.

Dbs: Hamlin, Sensabaugh, Terrence Newman, Mike Jenkins, Alan ball, Orlando Scandrick, McCray > Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Wilcox, Church, Heath

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
So the Broncos won a Super Bowl last year with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year players?

That's.......really not a good point.

Well they did win with one of the DE garrett inherited.

But if you want to use the Broncos. See what they did from 2011 (with Tebow) to the roster in 2012-15. 2 Super Bowls in there. THAT doesnt help your arguement

Doomsay

Reaction score
Wow, just wow.....

He's the 7th most tenured HC in the NFL. 5 of the 6 in front of him have won Super Bowls.

To be fair, I don't think that he has much influence over the defensive draft, but the above is a staggering observation.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Yep, 4-12.

No, we are 1-13 or 1-14 without Tony.

That is seriously laughable.

Everyone deserves blame for that. The coaching staff for their complete inability to get even more than a single win in what's basically a league season.

To the FO who have repeatedly blown premium draft picks year after year to where the defense is a complete mess, and the depth is even worse. And who have rewarded mediocrity because they're too HOORAH about their own guys, instead of bloated contracts we reward them with playing time and a roster spot, and we are utterly amazed when they don't play to the unrealistic level they imagined.

Basically the only guy who I feel sorry for, and who gets a lot of hate, is Rod. He has the worst talent in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball. It's a minor miracle the Giants didn't blow us out. Is there a team with a worse pass rush? I can't think of a single one.

The drafting for defense has been an F. Their propensity for attempting to wildcat picks though has put them in a unique position. If Lawrence turns out to at least be a solid pass rusher, I think it turns into a C-. If Gregory turns out to be a solid pass rusher then I think it turns into a B-, and if Jaylon comes back it could probably even creep into an B+. If any 2 out of the 3 turn out to be studs, then you probably gotta give them an A.

Pretty big if though.

Zordon

Reaction score
To be fair, I don't think that he has much influence over the defensive draft, but the above is a staggering observation.
I mean we can't have it both ways guys. I've seen so many people on here give him credit for improving our overall drafting. When I point out it's a myth on defense, suddenly he's not responsible for that? Parcels and Phillips were able to draft pro bowlers on defense despite Jerry.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I mean we can't have it both ways guys. I've seen so many people on here give him credit for improving our overall drafting. When I point out it's a myth on defense, suddenly he's not responsible for that? Parcels and Phillips were able to draft pro bowlers on defense despite Jerry.

I don't give Garrett credit or criticism for the draft in general, it's really hard to imagine him risking his position by advocating for any player, I just think he wants to survive. We know that Parcells was highly influential on both sides of the draft and I assume that Wade had some influence on the defensive draft as well as some FA's that he was familiar with (at least initially).

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Don't forget the scout team as well. They bring back all the info. Not a one man job...but if I read your post right, all roads lead to Jerry, right?

Crad|e

Reaction score
Our defensive drafting is sad. It's like we always try to get a good deal on a Gregory or Smith instead of taking a solid player w no injury or character issues. It seems like after a year or two of getting burnt on those picks, you would wise up. But next year I'm sure the same thing will happen.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys defensive roster got worse since Garrett took over.
Look at linebackers : Bradie James, Sean Lee, and Keith Brooking> Sean Lee, Hitchens, and Gachkar

Dline : Ware, Hatcher, Bowen, Ratcliff, Marcus Spears, Spencer > Lawrence, Irving, McClain, T Crawford, Mayowa and whoever else.

Dbs: Hamlin, Sensabaugh, Terrence Newman, Mike Jenkins, Alan ball, Orlando Scandrick, McCray > Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Wilcox, Church, Heath
:bow:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I am not gonna blame Garrett for the draft.
Agreed.

This falls on the draft trust with Will McCray.

But obviously OL and TE and RB have been our top priorities in these drafts.

Those 8-8 seasons were costly for our drafts finding top defensive help no doubt?

rpntex

Reaction score
He's responsible for hiring the defensive coaches. He's surrounded himself with terrible evaluators of defensive talent, that's on him.

Actually, this more on McClay and the Jones. McClay is the main influence on putting together the draft board, and he's NOT a Garrett hire. Garrett gets plenty of input, but by the time the decision gets to Jim, the board is all but put together.