What is everyone's thoughts on the iPhone 5?

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4724125 said:
A while back I got a email from a friend that had an article about phones in Japan that basically replaced the wallet. They had something built in to where they could act as a credit card and payments would be made by moving the phone into a proximity of a scanner and accepting the payment on the screen.

I was kind of hoping for that. I wouldn't mind having a phone that just replaced my wallet. Scan my ID and cards in and have one less thing in my pocket.

Kangaroo;4724135 said:
The card chips are already in some phones out now just no one is really using them yet in the US. The Nokia 920 and 820 coming out in November will have them as well.

It's called Google Wallet. I have it on my Galaxy Nexus. Near Field Communications (NFC) is required.

All I have to do is wake up my phone and wipe it over the scanner/paypass things and im good to go.

I believe Verizon banned the app because they said it wasn't secure enough or something but since I have my phone rooted, I installed it via an .apk file.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
kristie;4724277 said:
looks pretty nice even though the price bothers me a little bit.

Well, get used to the price.

That's the price the 3G was at and the 4.

They pretty much have the prices locked to the capacity for now.

16BG = 200

32 = 300

Hoofbite

Reaction score
ajk23az;4724256 said:
It's called Google Wallet. I have it on my Galaxy Nexus. Near Field Communications (NFC) is required.

All I have to do is wake up my phone and wipe it over the scanner/paypass things and im good to go.

I believe Verizon banned the app because they said it wasn't secure enough or something but since I have my phone rooted, I installed it via an .apk file.

That would be my one concern.

I don't even like that my debit card does the swipe pay but I would assume there'd be some sort of security available on the phone that the debit card can't.

I thought I read a while back about people who basically skim card numbers by walking through crowds with a scanner.

Really though, if you walked through a huge crowd with a scanner and charged all the cards it picked up some small amount that is likely to go unnoticed, you could probably pull in a load.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4724281 said:
That would be my one concern.

I don't even like that my debit card does the swipe pay but I would assume there'd be some sort of security available on the phone that the debit card can't.

I thought I read a while back about people who basically skim card numbers by walking through crowds with a scanner.

Really though, if you walked through a huge crowd with a scanner and charged all the cards it picked up some small amount that is likely to go unnoticed, you could probably pull in a load.

I wouldn't want to go to a restraunt and have to give the waitress my phone so they could go scan it.

ConcordCowboy;4724328 said:
Ordering it tonight.

I have an 3GS and waited for the 5.

Same.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So are you guys getting the black or white iphone?

I like the white but I just can't pull the trigger on getting it.

artist-render-of-iphone-5-white.jpg

or

xl_Apple_iPhone_5_black_back_6.jpg

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
CATCH17;4724348 said:
I wouldn't want to go to a restraunt and have to give the waitress my phone so they could go scan it.

Same.

Eventually they'll have a wireless communicator they keep with them to avoid that. I'm sure restaurants don't want that liability either...

Jenky

Reaction score
CATCH17;4724379 said:

artist-render-of-iphone-5-white.jpg

or

xl_Apple_iPhone_5_black_back_6.jpg

White. I'm looking for a case right now. What I'm looking for is something thin, provides adequate protection, and doesn't scratch the freakin' phone when putting it on.

I've had so many cases scratch the side of the smart phone on installation.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jenky;4724382 said:
White. I'm looking for a case right now. What I'm looking for is something thin, provides adequate protection, and doesn't scratch the freakin' phone when putting it on.

I've had so many cases scratch the side of the smart phone on installation.

Have you thought about using a Zagg casing?

I love the white one but it just looks so much like the last phone.

Jenky

Reaction score
CATCH17;4724410 said:
Have you thought about using a Zagg casing?

I love the white one but it just looks so much like the last phone.

I did look at Zagg, but like most companies, they don't have any cases out yet nor is there an ETA.

I was looking at:

Incase snap:
http://goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl69051

Spigen's Ultra thin Air:
http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone-5-case-ultra-thin-air-series.html

Seidio's Surface with Kick stand:
http://www.seidioonline.com/apple-iphone-5-surface-with-metal-kickstand-case-p/csr3iph5k-bk.htm

Also, I'm not going with otterbox no matter how good they protect the phone. Every case I've seen from otterbox is insanely too thick or bulky. Even their slim case looks like it can be trimmed down some more.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jenky;4724430 said:
I did look at Zagg, but like most companies, they don't have any cases out yet nor is there an ETA.

I was looking at:

Incase snap:
http://goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl69051

Spigen's Ultra thin Air:
http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone-5-case-ultra-thin-air-series.html

Seidio's Surface with Kick stand:
http://www.seidioonline.com/apple-iphone-5-surface-with-metal-kickstand-case-p/csr3iph5k-bk.htm

Also, I'm not going with otterbox no matter how good they protect the phone. Every case I've seen from otterbox is insanely too thick or bulky. Even their slim case looks like it can be trimmed down some more.

They do have a case out.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Noooooooooo! Im not eligible for an upgrade until October 31st.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
No Iphone for me if I want to upgrade my storage I can buy my own micro sd card

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
The phone does nothing to make me feel like this is a must buy item.

And who gets "white" colored phones ?

95% of the time my phone is in my pocket. Maybe women get those white phones.

:confused:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;4724379 said:

It's a tough call. I've always had black iPhones, but I got a white iPad and I like it. I'm guessing I'll just stick with the black iPhone. I like how the metal around the edges is blacked out now.

All the reports are that when you hold the things it's noticeably thinner and lighter (and obviously with a bigger screen), such that when you go back to a 4S it feels odd. The only thing the same about this phone as the 4S is the general look of the form factor. Otherwise, it's a completely new phone, so I'm not quite getting the "it's the same phone" comments.

Looks like I'll be up at 2:00 am tonight ready for pre-orders.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;4724792 said:
It's a tough call. I've always had black iPhones, but I got a white iPad and I like it. I'm guessing I'll just stick with the black iPhone. I like how the metal around the edges is blacked out now.

All the reports are that when you hold the things it's noticeably thinner and lighter (and obviously with a bigger screen), such that when you go back to a 4S it feels odd. The only thing the same about this phone as the 4S is the general look of the form factor. Otherwise, it's a completely new phone, so I'm not quite getting the "it's the same phone" comments.

Looks like I'll be up at 2:00 am tonight ready for pre-orders.

:laugh2: We never doubted you for an instant.

Bahhh....

kmp77

Reaction score
I own a 4s....not a single thing makes me want to upgrade :mad: I was hoping for a larger screen (and no, just taller doesn't count). I'm not ready to jump into the new adapter game either. I'll keep my 4s for a while I guess.