What is the future for Cowboys rookie QB Mike White in Dallas?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brugler: Absolutely. I’m a firm believer in identifying a quarterback in the mid-to-late rounds and drafting him if he is available at a certain point in the draft, regardless of what the rest of your roster looks like. It is the most important position on the roster, why not improve it? Why not create competition? It is a lottery ticket. I graded Mike White as a 3rd-4th rounder so I love the value in the 5th round. His feet are clunky and he needs to better navigate around pressure, but he has a NFL arm with the passing instincts and leadership that will appeal to the Dallas coaches. I graded him as a “back up with the potential to be more.”

White has a strong arm and throws with great accuracy. He also demonstrates good leadership qualities and possesses the intangibles to be a great player. And those are the same characteristics that have us so excited about Prescott. He also throws he ball well on the run, which is another trait similar to Dak.

For more:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...oys-draft-pick-rookie-qb-mike-white-in-dallas

My opinion, I have a feeling he may end up being pretty good. It will be a very interesting training camp.

It is best if a team can have a #2 QB that is on a rookie contract. That player can be developing AND be the low cost backup. Veteran journeymen backups are often not very good when they are forced to play and even the crappy ones are expensive (see Kyle Orton from years past).

If the player develops then they have trade value (see Patriots backups that have been traded).

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes.

Him and his brother Marquez are only the second sibling tandem to play for the same team at the same time, but the first to also have had their dad play for the same team.

Please quit listening to this guy folks. Marquez is black, and Danny doesn’t have a son named Mike.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The most intriguing pick in our draft. Have read good and bad and everything in between. Is he a worker? Coachable? He has time. We went so many years without drafting a QB in a Romo era and it bit us in the end. Good to see a turn around in management philosophy at QB.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Somebody said Rush has a stronger arm than Dak. Lol
evidently you haven't seen Daks arm when his mechanics went off. He was throwing it into the dirt 15 feet in front of Beasley.
You want to play an undrafted FA and the 171st pick?

Grass ain’t always greener
If Dak stinks it up or is not effective at moving the offense! Yeah I want see someone else get shot! Dak has to show he can adjust to what defenses are doing.

Last edited:

Gameover

Reaction score
evidently you haven't seen Daks arm when his mechanics went off. He was throwing it into the dirt 15 feet in front of Beasley.

If Dak stinks it up or is not effective at moving the offense! Yeah I want see someone else get shot! Dak has to show he can adjust to what defenses are doing.

How do you think mr. 45 arm is going to hold up under pressure?

Good luck w that

I’ll bet against the undrafted and the 171 rookie saving you!

At least they aren’t Dak, right?!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
White's immediate future is very likely as our #3 QB until such time as he proves he's better than those before him.

It might be that he'd eventually beat out Cooper Rush, providing what Rush did last year didn't represent his worth.

Barring injury, there's no promising likelihood that he'll be in line to overtake Dak Prescott now or anytime too soon.

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We will find out just how mentally tough Rush is. No pressure at all last season; now he’s looking at becoming a fixture in the room or losing his job. Only one of them makes the team unless Rush has a great preseason to lock down the backup job. Personally, after watching crap backups at key positions cost us last season, Dallas would be totally ballsy to go without a vet backup again. One injury to Dak, and we could see another collapse behind an inexperienced backup.

My best guess, barring some otherworldly play by Rush or White. We carry Dak, a vet, and Rush on the 53. White goes to the practice squad.

Hadenough

Reaction score
How do you think mr. 45 arm is going to hold up under pressure?

Good luck w that

I’ll bet against the undrafted and the 171 rookie saving you!

At least they aren’t Dak, right?!
The point is if Dak isn't getting it done you will never know if White or Rush can do better unless you play them. Rushs 45 mph ball might be more accurate than Daks 45 mph ball. Dude I've seen Daks arm and unless something changes he ain't the future.