Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael Sam went public now to avoid someone else breaking news

That knowledge began to spread during the Senior Bowl last month and Sam’s agent Joe Barkett said that led to a change in how his client planned to handle coming out on a larger stage. Sam had planned to make a public announcement after the draft, but decided that now was the time to do it after the experience in Mobile.

“I think the timing of Mike’s announcement was really based off of the reactions that we’ve received the last few weeks from not only front-office personnel, but journalists, as well. When we were in Mobile for the Senior Bowl, Michael was being approached by people left and right by people trying to break his story, and it was something Mike wanted to do after the draft originally,” Barkett said on NFL Network. “Then we kind of regrouped and discussed if Mike would still be able to do it on his terms at that point in time. And Mike and the rest of us felt that now this time was a little more appropriate where he could take control of the situation instead of being forced to tell his story after somebody else had broken it.”

It seems that most teams already knew or suspected Sam’s orientation and announcing it now assures everyone has the same information and is going into things with eyes open.

More: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...blic-now-to-avoid-someone-else-breaking-news/

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
The thread is what team will draft him ...Not firemen ,policemen , not hecklers etc... If you have a team and a football reason why that's great ...IF not ...Leave it alone.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I doubt many would really care / pay attention without media sensationalizing the situation for ratings.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Soooo can he get to the QB or not? Because if he can I can see alot of teams interested, or am I just the only person that saw what the Seahawks just did?

Tobal

Reaction score
I don't care if he's gay, if he's the guy we need then I'm all for taking him.... I still dread the media circus that would come with it.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this post is ridiculous. Bravery does not have to entail putting your life on the line.

The single mother who works two jobs to ensure her kids are properly fed and clothed... That's bravery.
The kid at school who sticks up for another who's being picked on...That's bravery.
A kid doing what's right regardless of peer pressure... That's bravery.
A guy standing up for what's right, even though it might cost him in his chosen profession... That's bravery.

And there are countless other examples. Life doesn't have to be viewed as an action movie.

Sometimes, people have an odd view of a trait to protect themselves from the reality that they lack it.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I don't care what he does on his own time, all I care about is can he be a disruptive force and help this teams dire need should he fall to us

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I can see the Pats taking him. They always seem to have extra draft choices.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how this plays out. If he's that good he should get drafted high. Especially after the combine. If he performs well and doesn't get drafted high you know it's based on his personal life which would cause some back lash

How will you know. Personally I think that this athlete was advised wrong. If he does not get drafted where he thinks he deserves he will now come out and say it was because he was gay. If he would remained quiet until he signed his contract he would have been in a better position to come out.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
LET me try this one time ...The thread is what team will take a chance on him...Give a team ...This is not a discussion about any thing else.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I can see the Pats taking him. They always seem to have extra draft choices.

Smart move. Team with strong coaching and vetetan leadership is a good fit.

He won't be the only gay player in the league though. He'll be the only openly gay one

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
More than Manziel? More than Clowney? I highly doubt that.

The media interviews that prospects give on day one are usually tame and relatively obscure. That was until Te'o last year. I expect much of the same kind of sensationalism, unfortunately.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
How will you know. Personally I think that this athlete was advised wrong. If he does not get drafted where he thinks he deserves he will now come out and say it was because he was gay. If he would remained quiet until he signed his contract he would have been in a better position to come out.

He is projected as a later round pick. If he goes undrafted and no one signs him udfa, it will clearly be because he is gay. BTW - he came out to his college teammates already. He ain't hiding anything

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I speculate he changes position to CB and we move up 10 spots to take him in the first and trade a 3rd and 4th. Or TE and then of course he is a second rounder

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The media interviews that prospects give on day one are usually tame and relatively obscure. That was until Te'o last year. I expect much of the same kind of sensationalism, unfortunately.

To be fair, Teo was a top prospect and fake girlfriend with imaginary cancer is a pretty big deal. Absolutely the draft will become more and more of a spectacle, but that's by design. Goodell wants it that way.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
What percentage of NFL teams do you think will not draft a gay player?

2 out of 32?
4 out of 32, .. 8, 10? .. Half?

If he is slated to go at the end of the 3rd round for example, and the team picking there does need his position, but does not want to draft a gay player, .. it has hurt his pocketbook.

And then the next 8 or so teams aren't looking for his position, so in the middle of the 4th round another team needs his position but passes because he is gay. That is only two teams, but now he is being looked at in the bottom of the 4th instead of the 3rd.

This is only one scenario, but it could happen. It could cost him money.

Depending on how many teams have decided not to draft the media circus, it could cost him a lot of money.

jrumann59

Reaction score
He is projected as a later round pick. If he goes undrafted and no one signs him udfa, it will clearly be because he is gay. BTW - he came out to his college teammates already. He ain't hiding anything

Where you are projected to go and where you actually go are two different things. You mean it is not uncommon for talented guys not be drafted where they are expected be I am sure Floyd and Rodgers would have something to say about that. I have no issue with him coming out but now it brings his draft status into question with another variable that should not make a difference. So unless a team picks him where he is PROJECTED, the questions will come in why did you draft him in the 7th instead of the 5th, was it because he was gay. How can you say that if he is UD and does not get signed as a UDFA it will because he is gay. I am sure there are hundreds of guys that did not get drafted that never got signed maybe he does not have the talent. Personally I think this move was to force a NFL franchise to draft or UDFA sign him. Think of the can of worms he has opened here. Lets say he sucks and gets cut think about the fall out there.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
What percentage of NFL teams do you think will not draft a gay player?

2 out of 32?
4 out of 32, .. 8, 10? .. Half?

If he is slated to go at the end of the 3rd round for example, and the team picking there does need his position, but does not want to draft a gay player, .. it has hurt his pocketbook.

And then the next 8 or so teams aren't looking for his position, so in the middle of the 4th round another team needs his position but passes because he is gay. That is only two teams, but now he is being looked at in the bottom of the 4th instead of the 3rd.

This is only one scenario, but it could happen. It could cost him money.

Depending on how many teams have decided not to draft the media circus, it could cost him a lot of money.

He'll get boatloads of endorsements assuming he makes any NFL roster. It wont hurt him that bad, the wage scale isn't a vast sea of difference from rounds 3-7.

Reaction score
I don't care if the Cowboys draft him....as long as they don't reach for him.

And that stands for any player they draft. Never reach for a need.

Status
Not open for further replies.