What team will have the guts to draft Sam? What round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadfly22

Reaction score
I keep seeing these comments about "he made it an issue". Just to clarify:

1. Yes, he made his orientation an issue because the rumor mill had already started. It's always a better PR move to control the conversation.

2. He's hoping to be drafted in a couple months. It's better to get this issue in front of teams beforehand instead of letting some team claim they got sandbagged. Or have him be accused of hiding who he is for financial gain.

3. In truth, WE made his orientation an issue, because somehow the idea of a non-hetero football player is thought to be troublesome. Having worked with gay people -- men and women -- you'd be amazed how little it matters. But, of course, you already know that if you work somewhere with a relatively large workforce, because you already work with gay folks.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
NFLdraftscout.com has already dropped him 70 spots overnight...more than two full rounds.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
If he can help the team, I'm interested in having Dallas draft him if it's good value.

If not, then pass.

Just like any other prospect.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Seems NFL scouts already knew he was gay, .. so he didn't need to make it an issue.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I keep seeing these comments about "he made it an issue". Just to clarify:

3. In truth, WE made his orientation an issue, because somehow the idea of a non-hetero football player is thought to be troublesome. Having worked with gay people -- men and women -- you'd be amazed how little it matters. But, of course, you already know that if you work somewhere with a relatively large workforce, because you already work with gay folks.

I work with Aliens. Myself, don't care what they do on or off their spaceship. I think one is gonna come out though and announce it on the Sci Fi channel.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Seems NFL scouts already knew he was gay, .. so he didn't need to make it an issue.

It would have become public eventually, given the nature of media today and the fact everyone on his college team knew. Just like Mantei Teo's "girlfriend" (Teo seems gay to me, but I could be wrong) it would have been a media storm. Sam had a choice of getting out in front of the issue or having it turn into an even bigger circus than this. IMO he made the right choice, but lets see how this plays out going forward.

egn22

Reaction score
I just read he's 6'2 225lbs. Isn't that extremely small for a pass rusher?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
However the fact is that they do, some of his team mates will give a damn as well, no matter where he goes.

This is true, as unfortunate as it is. Big men with big egos and big ideas on what they believe. The problem is not that he's gay, the problem is with the guys in the locker room. This kind of thing can split a locker room. Some on the side that this isn't a big deal, and then the others.

Teams in general I think would try to avoid this division. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope he gets drafted and helps a team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is true, as unfortunate as it is. Big men with big egos and big ideas on what they believe. The problem is not that he's gay, the problem is with the guys in the locker room. This kind of thing can split a locker room. Some on the side that this isn't a big deal, and then the others.

Teams in general I think would try to avoid this division. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope he gets drafted and helps a team.

No doubt there is truth in that there was also a truth about black players at one time. I think if the kids on the college level can handle having a gay teammate that guys in the NFL will adapt as well.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I saw it earlier online & glossed over it but Vilma of the Saints said it would be a locker room problem for him.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Obviously, he wanted to do it on his own terms. That's his personal choice.

Right, but just saying that he wasn't getting out in front of the rumor mill. Scouts and NFL people already knew.

It was his personal choice, but I wonder about his personal motive.

Alexander

Reaction score
Right, but just saying that he wasn't getting out in front of the rumor mill. Scouts and NFL people already knew.

It was his personal choice, but I wonder about his personal motive.

Insiders knew. Nobody outside of a very select group (scouts in particular) had done enough digging to find that out.

I would get the idea of a "motive" if he were some unknown fringe player trying to make a name for himself, but he is not that kind of prospect.

NJ22

Reaction score
Oh, he will find out about their problem.

Depending on the team he ends up on, .. it could be another Incognito/Martin situation.

Then they should end up on the same team that Cognito is on right now.

Alexander

Reaction score
Then they should end up on the same team that Cognito is on right now.

Incognito is not on anyone's roster right now. BTW, he offered his best wishes to Sam via Twitter, who knows how genuine he was or if he's trying hard to clean up his damaged image.

There are quite a few Richie Incognitos in the league that nobody knows about. If Patrick Crayton and Vilma are any indication, he will have to deal with some teammates who are not thrilled.

Wayne02

Reaction score
As long as the Cowboys don't draft him, I don't care. This team has enough of a media circus around this team, the Cowboys certainly don't need to add to it with Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.