What to do at the QB position

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
most of us have given up on dak.
his record-breaking interception record in 2016 is in the distant past.

whatever the reason for the dropoff, it has happened.
at this point, it seems even IF he has the talent, it is not going to come to the forefront in 2018.

so whether u r done with dak or think dak just needs a better ol and wr, u can probably see that he is making a lot of mistakes.
these mistakes include reading the defense and bad form when throwing.

at a minimum, it seems to me that dak needs to sit and relearn how to be a qb in the nfl.
the best case scenario i can see is that dak was spoiled by the 2016 ol that gave him 8 seconds to throw.
so he was rewarded to minimize mistake by playing conservative.
so this most optimistic interpretation is that his brain is completely fried when 8 seconds became 3 seconds, and he cannot adapt on the fly.
if u r pro-dak, u should still agree that that ol is not coming back at least this year.
even if williams makes huge improvements, tsmith is aging very quickly and looks slow against good de's.

so in the optimistic scenario, dak needs time to practice to unlearn the bad habits.
if dak is benched, he can also calmly learn how to read defenses, as after all, romo had several years to learn before starting.
now if u think what u get with dak is what u see now, then you should also have no problem with sitting him.

so what do we do now at qb.
i would say trade for a vet so the team would not embarrass itself.
we cannot look like we are literally tanking, and an experienced vet would allow us to see if dak is the problem.

hopefully we get the #1 pick and grab the best qb.
even so, i would think an open competition should be held for qb next year.
I haven't given up on Dak. Once Garrett, Linehan, and Kellen Moore are replaced, I only hope it's not too late to truly develop our QB.

Blackrain

Reaction score
No young QB will succeed here with this group of receivers and the coaching staff.

Worst thing that can happen is we draft a QB and he shows some "promise" like Dak did in 2016 then Jerry giving JG another extension. We'll be on this same rollercoaster ride again the following year.

If JG is still going to be around, might as well use the high draft picks on a WR and a TE first. Get the receivers right first.
Don't spend a 1st on a QB until a new HC is hired.

Agreed as long as Garrett is still coach there is no guarantee a young QB will succeed here or anybody else for that matter . Garrett needs to get promoted so we can get a new coach Jerry is not going to fire him

Blackrain

Reaction score
You try to trade Dak, you sign a journeyman veteran like Sanchez who can teach a rookie to be a pro, hire a real QB coach and draft the best QB available this spring.

Dak looked a lot better with Sanchez and Tony coaching him . Kellen Moore is still wet behind the ears . Dak needs some good coaching right about now and we don't have it .

dallasdave

Reaction score
most of us have given up on dak.
his record-breaking interception record in 2016 is in the distant past.

whatever the reason for the dropoff, it has happened.
at this point, it seems even IF he has the talent, it is not going to come to the forefront in 2018.

so whether u r done with dak or think dak just needs a better ol and wr, u can probably see that he is making a lot of mistakes.
these mistakes include reading the defense and bad form when throwing.

at a minimum, it seems to me that dak needs to sit and relearn how to be a qb in the nfl.
the best case scenario i can see is that dak was spoiled by the 2016 ol that gave him 8 seconds to throw.
so he was rewarded to minimize mistake by playing conservative.
so this most optimistic interpretation is that his brain is completely fried when 8 seconds became 3 seconds, and he cannot adapt on the fly.
if u r pro-dak, u should still agree that that ol is not coming back at least this year.
even if williams makes huge improvements, tsmith is aging very quickly and looks slow against good de's.

so in the optimistic scenario, dak needs time to practice to unlearn the bad habits.
if dak is benched, he can also calmly learn how to read defenses, as after all, romo had several years to learn before starting.
now if u think what u get with dak is what u see now, then you should also have no problem with sitting him.

so what do we do now at qb.
i would say trade for a vet so the team would not embarrass itself.
we cannot look like we are literally tanking, and an experienced vet would allow us to see if dak is the problem.

hopefully we get the #1 pick and grab the best qb.
even so, i would think an open competition should be held for qb next year.
Trade Dak now and get something for him, need to draft #1 QB next year.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
That's what @Melonfeud was telling me, so Dallas does need to get a real #1 QB
On a side note today's "As the Melon Turns" will show Mirror Melon wanting to change his name to Melonputty.
"as the PUTTY JUICE slowly drips down from @dallasdave 's brain ,where WALDO insists it's being applied directly thru the hole in Dave's head pleases him greatly, Dave lovingly hangs his POM-POM'S that the PUTTY had constructed from 3 dozen living wall rats having their noses all super glued together fashioning a 3-d shrieking squirming orb of confirmed PUTTY POWER,a special gift significantly expressing the love held for each other, ,,he don's his Chinese Communist flag bath robe & silently stands by the entrance to the showers area, waiting for his master lord PUTTY to apply his next direct injection of the juice,,, the precious glorious Putty juice"

yes ,you may envision this picture as bizarrely twisted in your minds eye just as it was written*o_O

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the team is going to let this play out.
if this team drafts top 10 that will take care of itself.
dak is signed for 2 seasons so there is no rush to give him any money.

if a new qb is brought in it will be at behest of a new staff.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
play the guys listed as #2 & #3 on your depth chart for the remainder of this year. See what you have in them so you have a better idea what you need to do in the offseason.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
play the guys listed as #2 & #3 on your depth chart for the remainder of this year. See what you have in them so you have a better idea what you need to do in the offseason.
I'm all for seeing what those guys have to offer but being real it is a little early to make that move. Nobody has taken control of the division yet so making that move could have detrimental effects on the rest of the team, but i would make that move midseason if nothing changes, by then you could say you have given Dak a fair shot this season, time to look at the other guys

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
You have to leave him in there is no other realistic option.

Depending on value, the draft room should at least consider the possibility of grabbing a QB high, even if Dak somewhat improves a little.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Now that is a plan, get the # 1 QB coming out of college, look at this years draft, look what the Browns did. Young QB can start and produce.
How many games have Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, B Mayfield, Josh Rosen won???

They are all projects ..... so there goes 2019 and 2020........yeah

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't shock easily but that has shocked me. Think after reading that i need a stiff drink. You did say a first.:laugh:
DpG58aZV4AASsM1.jpg:large