What type of RB would you like to see as our starter?

Ekspozed

Reaction score
I'd take a guy like swift/Singletary to complement our 3rd round rb

75boyz

Reaction score
Something similar to the current Lions duo with Montgomery and Gibbs.

Or even like our own earlier version duo with a younger Zeke and Pollard as change of pace.

But as long as the current braintrust of Solari, Schott and McCheese are the ones in charge of blocking schemes and running philosophy...

I don't think it matters too much who we get running the rock cuz those 3 losers ain't got a clue on how to teach an effective run game plan regardless of who is at running back.

quickccc

Reaction score
He won’t be re-signed unless he signs a team friendly deal. Likely to be a big change at RB next season.
If it's McCarthy offense - it won't matter much
The coach scheme was much more the disaster than it was the RB unit, imo.

we won't use our RBs in pass ,..we'll run out of shotgun 90% of the time instead of handoff from QB under center

we may even bring back same OL coach, and asst. coaches involved in run game scheme and RBs. It's like Big Mac
decided that he'll handle the pass game with WRs-TEs, while Mac's asst coaches OC , OL coach, RB coaches will handle anything with the RBs and OL

kskboys

Reaction score
The only type that is conducive to super bowl wins: Tough yards RB's.

HR threats are for fans and highlight reels. Grinders are for super bowls.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

Or even like our own earlier version duo with a younger Zeke and Pollard as change of pace.

But as long as the current braintrust of Solari, Schott and McCheese are the ones in charge of blocking schemes and running philosophy...

I don't think it matters too much who we get running the rock cuz those 3 losers ain't got a clue on how to teach an effective run game plan regardless of who is at running back.
100% agree 75.

quickccc

Reaction score

i could go with that if Pollard has his previous burst and explosive, otherwise he is an ordinary back.
And our coaches did utterly nuthin to help showcase and display if Pollard does or does not have his speed in '23.

and not just the run game .. but pass game with the RBs as well. very little to no help with the RB screen passes

kskboys

Reaction score
i could go with that if Pollard has his previous burst and explosive, otherwise he is an ordinary back.
And our coaches did utterly nuthin to help showcase and display if Pollard does or does not have his speed in '23.

and not just the run game .. but pass game with the RBs as well. very little to no help with the RB screen passes
They couldn't. He was the de facto starter because we had no one else.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
CLEARLY an OL would be the best RB we get that. With that said, would you like to see a bigger more physical running back, or a back that's smaller in size with more of a potential for homeruns?? What type of RB would work best in our offense?
1 big bruiser RB, 1 RB/WR, 2 WRs, one TE.

Everyone is a threat and you have balanced run/pass options.

As is usually the case, it's the guy with flex roles who is most important and makes such an offense go. He's the guy you can flex based on the defensive personnel package.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pollard and draft a Lynch type.
That's the kind of pairing I'd like *if* they sent Pollard downfield more often.

1 deep attempt once in 5 years. 1 60+ yard TD.
Maybe we should have tried that more than once.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Was there something Lynch was exceptional at on the field.

I know he was a bruiser but also had the personality on and off the field.

But he never once seemed as lethal as Marion Barber to me. Similar players...but Barber always seemed better to me.

Did Lynch run way faster? Catch passes better? Block better(Barber was a good blocker if im not mistaken)

Just never understood Lynch over Barber. Maybe im a homer or uneducated on Lynch.
I remember some games, I think against the Giants, where it seemed that they had Barber figured out. Go for the ankles. He just went down.

I don't recall teams similarly finding a way to take down Lynch.

conner01

Reaction score
A Marshawn Lynch clone works for me. Let's get our own Beast Mode up in this piece.
Not many of them around but I like a RB who plays with a chip on their shoulder. The RB market in FA is gonna be interesting. It’s been mighty bad the last couple years and I’m not sure that’s gonna change anytime soon so it may be a buyers market which is ideal for us. Add a vet, draft a guy in middle rounds and bring Dowdle back

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
RB by committee. Get 3 of them and keep them all humble and hungry. 1 goes down you got 2 more just like him. Time for a new contract, trade them or let them walk. Keep drafting RB in the middle rounds.

With a $60M QB's you have to make cuts somewhere.
Get cheap big bruisers who will play at 110%.

You don't need the best players. You need the best plays out of the players you have. Marginal players can play with abandon, giving you more per play than more expensive players conserving their energy and health.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If it's McCarthy offense - it won't matter much
The coach scheme was much more the disaster than it was the RB unit, imo.

we won't use our RBs in pass ,..we'll run out of shotgun 90% of the time instead of handoff from QB under center

we may even bring back same OL coach, and asst. coaches involved in run game scheme and RBs. It's like Big Mac
decided that he'll handle the pass game with WRs-TEs, while Mac's asst coaches OC , OL coach, RB coaches will handle anything with the RBs and OL
The biggest problem was the RBs and OL. Pollard had a career high 252 carries which was 59 more than last season. He was coming off an injury and was having to face fresh defenses as a starter. He wasn’t being kept fresh and wasn’t as effective in that role. Both he and Dowdle aren’t real big. The OL was an issue with the injuries and players not playing as well.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
A young cheap one is what I prefer. In todays game you need more than one good one. I love Detroits combo of Montgomery and Gibbs. Power, speed, versatility.