What would your reaction be if Cowboys resign Prescott before season begins?

GMO415

Reaction score
If it were up to me I'd trade him or let his contract run out. But If the sign him we'll have to hope that they can build a perfect team around him which is very unlikely.
Perfect team by paying players pennies on the dollar?

GMO415

Reaction score
I have never seen a pro sports franchise so comfortable with throwing whole seasons away with All Pros and future HOFers on their roster. The Jones boys’ comfort with playoff failure without making substantive changes at the top is absolutely mind numbing.
OfFebX.gif

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I ask this for the sake of argument as so many fans think we should let his contract run out and this be our QB’s last season.

Other fans would at the very least like to wait and see the results this season before resigning him.

Im not interested in which you prefer but simply what your reaction would be.

So, what would it tell you about our owner if he resigns him before the season begins ?

And what would it tell you about your instincts on the situation?
Im fine with it....depending upon the length of contract, which for me, is the problem and the gulf between Jerry and Dak/France. It really makes no difference if he's signed now or next year.

If Dak's no.1 aim is to maximize his earning's (and why shouldnt he be), then to sign now he's looking for a 3 (or possibly 4) year contract (at close to $60m per), which is difficult for us, due to the outstanding $40m Dead Money.

This isnt Jerry's fault, just bad business to give Dak a 3/4 year deal based on performance which leaves no room to restructure.....well you can, but youre getting a massive Dead Money impact in 4 years and we're left begging France (AGAIN!).

We need to work out some form of career ending arrangement.......if Dak doesnt want that it's probably Dak's last season in Dallas....and Dak Fan's and Haters should unite in wishing him well as he leaves (and gets that money).

It's too easy to blame Jerry on this one, i'd look to France and him leaving CAA in 2022 and possibly waiting out Dak's contract until he'd gone to Athletes First as being the start of this.......then again, as I said, if Dak is money first (and why shouldnt he be), take it, but it wont be in DALLAS.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I have never seen a pro sports franchise so comfortable with throwing whole seasons away with All Pros and future HOFers on their roster. The Jones boys’ comfort with playoff failure without making substantive changes at the top is absolutely mind numbing.
Saying that, if we did the proposed Henry trade, we still wouldnt have beaten GB, traded away our 1st pick and been without 2/5 of the future O-Line.

But lets be fair we won 12 games in 2021 and 2022 so was there a need for "substantive changes". I thought the move to a TCO (which was obviously designed to counter the 9ers Cover 2) with Gilmore and Cooks brought on universal confidence this time last year.

The GB game crucified the whole 2023 outlook. We're now in reset mode and with Dak it's a case of 'we arent good enough (inc Dak) to seriously go ALL-IN based on THIS roster, or in the next 3 years if Dak wants top money and a contract that takes him back to the market before he's 35'.

plymkr

Reaction score
I’d be mad. The things I would be mad about is obviously I don’t think he can get it done in the playoffs. That’s my opinion, so in a way I’d be about 10% mad about that but I’d be 90% mad that we waited so long. If we are going to sign him do it early and then get cap relief for ‘24 and ‘25 and sign some FAs to help the defense. I would be upset they missed out on FA only to delay the signing costing them a couple million APY and not fielding as competitive of a team this season.

I would just basically be angry because this would be the latest in a long line of personal mismanagement.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well according to many, ok a few, you were a idiot if you thought Dak wouldn't be signed 5 months ago. It was a done deal .

Nope Dak's weak showing in TC brought us Lance, his continued weak showing against decent teams sealed his fate and his choke job against GB punched his his ticket out of here.
But if he did resign Duck if feel bad for the Duckies as they'll be crying all season long as he does the final fold.
I will just laugh when he gets benched by game 5.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I think its likely.

I don't think that the team has much of a chance of putting a great team around him with some massive cap hit. Its going to be this offseason over and over every year. That said, getting a new QB could be painful.

I'm a big meh on it.

Dallas' path forward for success is having fantastic drafts, year in and year out. That and great coaching is the only way Jerry is going to win. As such, my eye is more on the draft class and Mike Zimmer than the QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
BH, Dandy Don Meredith was nothing like the QB Dak is. During his career, Don Meredith had a 50.7% completion rate, throwing for 17,199 yards and 135 touchdowns, 111 INTs, 135 TDs with a lifetime passer rating of 74.8. Whether regular season or playoffs, Dak is a way better passer and about to break all Cowboys franchise QB passing records.
That’s not the comparison he was making. It was their lack of success in the playoffs that turned many fans against them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again my objective in this thread was to address what fans would think of our owner if he resigns Dak.

Would that mean he’s still all in on Dak and this team?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is that what you’d believe the signing of Dak would mean?

I appreciate someone responding to the the bigger question I’m proposing. Which is what would the signing represent for our current direction and future. Is Jethro still all in with Dak and this team.

And why would fans who believe Dak is gone read the situation all wrong not sensing him being resigned?

Thanks for you’re excellent response!

reddyuta

Reaction score
what will be the reason for waiting so long? everyday the price goes higher with new QB signings.IMO they are resigned to him leaving next season.

John813

Reaction score
Only would be upset over the fact it took so long, and they did it on purpose to sit out another offseason.

If he stays, cool.
If he leaves, cool.

Just would irk me that they could of had that cap hit dropped way more than 5mil, and maybe acquired a mid range DT and RB in March. They know what France will ask for, range wise.

Reaction score
I ask this for the sake of argument as so many fans think we should let his contract run out and this be our QB’s last season.

Other fans would at the very least like to wait and see the results this season before resigning him.

So, what would it tell you about our owner if he resigns him before the season begins ?

ambivalent-cat-is-ambivalent

If they keep him, fine, just fix the freaking OL and defense so that both are playoff quality.
If they let him go, fine, but fix the freaking OL and defense so that both are playoff quality anyway,,, Hello? McFly? Prioritize your freaking trenches.

Flamma

Reaction score

My educated guess is that he gets signed before the season starts. Current Jerry likes stability. He's not a risk taker anymore. He has to show me otherwise for me to believe otherwise.

I could be wrong. Dak got his last contract in March. It's well past that point. He may want Dak to prove he's worth the money.