What would your reaction be if Cowboys resign Prescott before season begins?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, he was much better than Dak, they are not close to the same level.
You are badly confused, K.

Don Meredith never threw for more than 2,800 yards, 55% completion percentage, more than 24 TDs or higher than a 88 passer rating in a season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MereDo00.htm

Dak blows Don Meredith out of the water in every positive statistical category. It's not even close. Dak has thrown for 4,902 yards, 69.5% completion percentage, 37 TDs and a 105.9 passer rating in a season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

The only thing you got right is stating their comparison is not close to the same level.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
His contract situation is a distraction. It seems like that’s all anyone wants to talk about. Having a QB and HC possibly entering the final year with the team isn’t likely going to improve our chances of having a successful season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
By that logic all modern QB's are better than earlier era's. It's very simply due to changes within the game, not individual talent. You can't just compare numbers across era's.
Good thing there are video tapes going all the way back to the early 1960s. The tapes don't lie about talent no matter in what era any player is playing in.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well if nothing else it would clean out some of these fans ( I guess we call them fans) who have vowed to not come back on this forum if he’s resigned.

For me it doesn’t matter cause I’ve lost hope with Jethro & Son regardless. I’m thinking this is about as good as it gets.
One thing holds true for both online and offline proclamations. Some people shall do exactly what they say, while others will not. Anyone can boast what they will do if any certain condition manifests itself. It takes strong internal conviction to uphold what has been read or heard by others.

Jerry Jones is a perfect example. He admitted publicly of annually telling Jimmy Johnson he would put into the franchise's Ring of Honor. It took decades, his daughter, Troy Aikman and a Netflix documentary team to finally nudge him beyond that yearly falsehood.

What is more funny--and sad--was his public defense of not putting Johnson in the Ring. That TEX SCHRAMM advised him of the criteria for enshrining or not enshrining anyone. A two-faced contradiction. Typical Jones.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have broken my policy of conversing with Mods as it's NOT an equal playing field.
Think you have a problem with me not caring what I have predicted and I stand by it 100%.
If I'm ok with it why should anyone else care?
One more time.........for the record.
DAK IS ROAD KILL AND NO LONGER A COWBOY COME NEXT SEASON!!!!
lol @ "my policy."

visionary

Reaction score
My reaction would be:

Ho hum
Bring on the mediocrity, we are already used to it

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You are badly confused, K.

Don Meredith never threw for more than 2,800 yards, 55% completion percentage, more than 24 TDs or higher than a 88 passer rating in a season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MereDo00.htm

Dak blows Don Meredith out of the water in every positive statistical category. It's not even close. Dak has thrown for 4,902 yards, 69.5% completion percentage, 37 TDs and a 105.9 passer rating in a season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

The only thing you got right is stating their comparison is not close to the same level.
While I agree that Dak and Dandy Don are closer than some people want to accept I don't think you can use raw numbers to make the case either way. Their eras are simply too different. The rule changes and the glacial shift in how the game is played now versus back then don't really allow for it. Dandy Don was a really good QB in his era and Dak is a really good QB in his era. The question of who is/was "better" is purely subjective.

khiladi

Reaction score
Par for the course. When was the last time post season success trumped jersey sales and (I guess) relevance?
Any Cowboys QB will garner jersey sales. Zeke, when he was having the domestic violence issues, and suspended was top jersey sales. This year, Micah Parsons sold more jerseys than Dak. Dez, Romo and Witten topped the charts of jersey sales.

The flaw is thinking Dak is a reason for jersey sales. When the Cowboys are "relevant", even if over-hyped and playing in a garbage division, they sell more jerseys than other franchises.

khiladi

Reaction score
I would actually enjoy watching Dak have to "carry" a bum roster, instead of getting carried by a loaded one, while getting paid 60 billion dollars a year.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
While I agree that Dak and Dandy Don are closer than some people want to accept I don't think you can use raw numbers to make the case either way. Their eras are simply too different. The rule changes and the glacial shift in how the game is played now versus back then don't really allow for it. Dandy Don was a really good QB in his era and Dak is a really good QB in his era. The question of who is/was "better" is purely subjective.
I recently watched a Aikman video followed by a Romo video followed by a Dak video. Just that far back & it's amazing how much different the game was. In Troy's video, defenders were all over receivers. Troy was having to be very precise with his passes. Even with the great offensive line, often the other team was bringing extra rushers & he was launching the pass well before he would have liked but because of his accuracy & touch on the ball putting it where it needed to be. Not to mention the hits defenders were allowed to put on QB's or the surfaces they played on. In short, it showed the talent he had to have during that era to survive much less excel.

The latter era's were markedly different with receivers allowed to run more freely & having much more room for the ball to be delivered. Pass rushers having to be much more "under control" which allows QB's a touch more time to evade or get the pass off.

In short, the numbers mean nothing. Troy was a beast regardless of how the numbers compare to modern QB's.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
True, there have been much rule changes and glacial shift between the 1960s and today, but good thing there is video tape available to allow the eye test to judge the comparison in performance between any two players.

Brax

Reaction score
If watching the Cowboys is "suffering" to you then there is a frightfully easy alternative yaknow.
So you enjoyed GB, SF games, to name a few, poor Jerry crying his tears, I laughed at the end of the games as it’s SOP for a Dak led team. You’re not a sadist you’re a masochist and you’re the one suffering and enjoying it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you enjoyed GB, SF games, to name a few, poor Jerry crying his tears, I laughed at the end of the games as it’s SOP for a Dak led team. You’re not a sadist you’re a masochist and you’re the one suffering and enjoying it.
He loves it when things like this happen esp in the playoffs................

Chasing6

Reaction score
It still boggles my mind that there are fans that don't understand the pickle the Cowboys are in. But I guess that is why Jerry has the highest valued franchise in all of sports...he can do whatever he wants and fans either don't understand what is going on or don't care!
We do understands the pickle we are in. Our GM is an idiot. 30+ years later he still has no
idea what he is doing and is differing to JR.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
True, there have been much rule changes and glacial shift between the 1960s and today, but good thing there is video tape available to allow the eye test to judge the comparison in performance between any two players.
The thing is the eye test is 100% subjective. I think Dandy Don's arm talent, toughness and football IQ, would allow him to be a good QB in any era. I think the same can be said of Dak. In both cases it's just my opinion. I am not going to hammer on anyone who has a different opinion unless they only back it up with pure emotion. It is 100% accurate to state that in the modern game QBs are asked to do more than they were asked to do back in the 60's. But the degree of difficulty under which QBs were asked to throw the ball back then cannot be dismissed. They took more hits, their linemen could not use their hands at all to block, their receivers could be physically harassed all over the field and most teams refused to throw the ball except on 3rd down and > 5 yards.

jgboys1

Reaction score
It is sought of like closing the barn door after the horses already left.

It makes no sense to do it now when they could have done it before free agency so they could kept some free agents and saved some money.

The only reason I see Jerry doing what he is doing is because he is planning on blowing it all up after this season, which is what I am thinking Jerry is going to do.