Whataburger

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was asking bc we have a gourmet burger bar here in Norfolk that is truly awesome. I wasn't sure if Whataburger was along the same lines.

There is nothing fast about Whataburger, especially after the bars close :D

But is considered fast food, Gourmet burger is along the lines of Habit, Five Guys, the Counter, etc.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Whataburger is still the king,even after we got all these new comers it cant beat them.the secret is their flexibility and they do everything on the menu well.you will be hard pressed to find a bad item on the Menu.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I grew up in lake Charles la. When I was in college i worked at a clothing store next to a hamburger place called Mary Ann's. I have had every fast food burger 8n America but none are as good as Mary Ann's. In fact, John Wayne was quoted as saying the best burger he ever had was at Mary Ann's in Lake Charles. . I took wife back there in the early 1990s and to this day she says it was the best burger she ever. had. You know it had to be the best when you spend the next 20+ years looki g for something that is just as good. And it hasn't happened yet. Mary Ann's finally sold to another owner and went out of business a few years ago. Another place in lake charles copied Mary Ann's and it is almost as good. Not quite but pretty close. Or as close as I have found. It's name is cottens famous hamburgers.

While I continue looking, I give sonic, 5 guys, and steak and shake kudos. But they can't touch Mary anns

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is a place called Louis Burgers in Long Beach, CA that I would pit against anyone. It is kind of like a diner but not that fancy :laugh:

haleyrules

Reaction score
Wendy's has awesome burgers, Sam.

Their triple cheeseburger and their baconator is out of bounds
Now there's one l can actually get. I am dreamin of these Whataburger...in and out...5 guys....l love burgers and the choices in the US are astounding. I am sure I saw that Whataburger place at the airport in Dallas or Houston before...just too dumb to try one!!!

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Whataburger is pretty great. I worked there in high school and nothing I saw there discouraged me from being a loyal customer.

The only insider knowledge I can give you is this:

It's cheaper to get an extra patty on a number 5 (bacon burger combo) than it is to get bacon on a number 2 (double combo).

Weird but true.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ha!! I went on the different sites and Your In-N-Out burger looks like the most delicious by a wide margin!!

It really is for fast food. There is nothing frozen and the fries are from fresh potatoes. Animal style anything and the beauty of that place is........nothing but burgers. There is no salad, chicken, corn dogs, whatever. They just make solid burgers.

It doesn't compare to gourmet burgers but that isn't the topic here :thumbup:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It really is for fast food. There is nothing frozen and the fries are from fresh potatoes. Animal style anything and the beauty of that place is........nothing but burgers. There is no salad, chicken, corn dogs, whatever. They just make solid burgers.

It doesn't compare to gourmet burgers but that isn't the topic here :thumbup:
Some day, Dex, you and I need to catch some burgers and brews at Slaters 50/50 in Pasadena. Best burger in America (sit down)

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Tried In N Out the first day I moved to Texas. Underwhelming. Whataburger all the way ever since.

Whataburger basic burgers had me at 50/50 with Wendy's for fast food burgers but the Sweet and Spicy Bacon Burger is the greatest of all time. Actually wrote to corporate demanding it go on the permanent menu instead of a seasonal specialty burger and now it's there...so...you're welcome 'merica. It was all me ;). Monterrey Melt, Green Chile Double, Chophouse Cheddar are great too, but once the S&S became an everyday menu item it has ruined me for all other fast food burgers. An In N Out burger is basically the kids menu burger at Whataburger.
Also, confirming earlier comments, Whataburger spicy ketchup is fantastic. Not a ketchup guy but stockpile that shtuff! :thumbup:
Also also, bacon and bell peppers and jalapeños for fixin's at Whataburger vs thousand island slop at N Out. :thumbup:
Also also also, Whataburger Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuit w/ Sausage is the best breakfast sandwich at any fast food place. :thumbup:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tried In N Out the first day I moved to Texas. Underwhelming. Whataburger all the way ever since.

Whataburger basic burgers had me at 50/50 with Wendy's for fast food burgers but the Sweet and Spicy Bacon Burger is the greatest of all time. Actually wrote to corporate demanding it go on the permanent menu instead of a seasonal specialty burger and now it's there...so...you're welcome 'merica. It was all me ;). Monterrey Melt, Green Chile Double, Chophouse Cheddar are great too, but once the S&S became an everyday menu item it has ruined me for all other fast food burgers. An In N Out burger is basically the kids menu burger at Whataburger.
Also, confirming earlier comments, Whataburger spicy ketchup is fantastic. Not a ketchup guy but stockpile that shtuff! :thumbup:
Also also, bacon and bell peppers and jalapeños for fixin's at Whataburger vs thousand island slop at N Out. :thumbup:
Also also also, Whataburger Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuit w/ Sausage is the best breakfast sandwich at any fast food place. :thumbup:

Where did you try this In-N-Out in Texas? I need to know before proceeding........

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Where did you try this In-N-Out in Texas? I need to know before proceeding........

North Dallas. That particular location does a brisk business. Similar to a Whataburger about a block away.

I'll say the N Out workers are super nice. Pleasantville nice. And it's super fast. Definitely lives up to their name.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
North Dallas. That particular location does a brisk business. Similar to a Whataburger about a block away.

I'll say the N Out workers are super nice. Pleasantville nice. And it's super fast. Definitely lives up to their name.

Ok, if you said Houston, I was going to call ya a liar :laugh:

I do know the first couple opened in the Dallas area had problems with quality at first. Not sure why but it was the oil they were using I think.

Give each franchise three tries then make an informed decision......based strictly on burgers and fries(well done) with animal style. I know Whataburger has a good breakfast but ya can't count that :D

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Ok, if you said Houston, I was going to call ya a liar :laugh:

I do know the first couple opened in the Dallas area had problems with quality at first. Not sure why but it was the oil they were using I think.

Give each franchise three tries then make an informed decision......based strictly on burgers and fries(well done) with animal style. I know Whataburger has a good breakfast but ya can't count that :D

lol y'know now that you mention the oil, that makes sense. I didn't want to use this to sway anyone but I actually threw up from that first and only In N Out visit. I thought it was due to eating after moving furniture and sweating all day. Maybe it was the oil.

rynochop

Reaction score
There is nothing fast about Whataburger, especially after the bars close :D.
Lol, that's the truth, that's why it was always Taco Bell for me. You could fall asleep in the car waiting on a burger. As someone mentioned I love their ketchup.

Sonics burgers are pretty good, Supersonic jalapeño cheeseburger is my go to.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
There is a place here in Florida that the bar people surround after they close. Krystals. I went by there once and have never been able to figure out the obsession was. They were mushy little snacker type burgers. Never again...