Who is the most over rated player in Dallas Cowboys history

heir

Reaction score
No way he gets into the HOF.

He was above average at best.

Way too slow. Did nothing after the catch and didn't catch a lot of Touchdowns.

Antonio Gates had 116 TD receptions compared to Witten's 74 (in like 17 seasons).
Wait....WHAT?

pitt33

Reaction score
My rebuttal would be what signature wins did we have with Romo where we beat far superior teams? Our last signature win would be back in 1995 and the Cowboys were a far superior team.
As far as Romo goes I’d have to say 2014 @ Seattle. That was a good win.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Without a doubt Jason Witten.

That guy was a little above average at best. His last 3 or 4 years were terrible as he somehow slowed down.

Stats were always padded by garbage time.
really Witten? he was solid. he wasn't spactacular in what he did, but he got it done. he is a HOFer and constant precence at pro-bowls. very surprised you chose this.

btw, read through many posts and the posters show their age. a lot of recent candidates.....nothing wrong, just an observations.

there are several candidates that could be considered over rated, Greg Ellis, Bobby Carpenter, Dez Bryant, Roy Williams, Dwayne Goodrich, few others....
I would say the most over rated is Williams, drafted to be Woodson's successor and they didn't want to pass on the next Ronnie Lott, the guy got burned constantly.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No way he gets into the HOF.

He was above average at best.

Way too slow. Did nothing after the catch and didn't catch a lot of Touchdowns.

Antonio Gates had 116 TD receptions compared to Witten's 74 (in like 17 seasons).
Gates was better, but doesn't mean witten was bad. he was particularly fast (he was sneaky fast), always could get open, was fantastic route runner and a better blocker than Gates, although he wasn't great blocker. over rated though? don't think so, there are so many other candidates.

John813

Reaction score
I’ve got to be honest with you all—I'm not disappointed in this fanbase; I'm downright appalled. The slander of calling Cowboys overrated I see here is staggering just because we havent gotten to the big dance in 28 years.

We'll guess what- 28 years is.a very small sample size in the grand scheme of things. This franchise has 5 rings, which not top many other fanbases can say.

How can so many of you, who call yourselves Cowboys fans, be filled with negativity about current and former players?

I understand that every season has its ups and downs, but the way some of you talk, you'd think every player was overrated. Where’s the faith? Where’s the loyalty? I can’t, for the life of me, see eye to eye with anyone who claims to be a fan but only spreads doubt and negativity.

Did we know that back in 1994 thus franchise was about to go on a dynasty run?

I have absolutely no respect for any Cowboys fan who thinks our players were overrated. You either believe in the star, or you don’t. If you’re going to jump ship every time the water gets a little rough, maybe it’s time to find a new team to “support.” But for those of us who truly believe, we know what this team is capable of, and we stand by them through thick and thin.

So, if you’re one of those who’s called players overrated maybe take a step back and rethink what it means to be a Cowboys fan. Because here, we believe in our team—no matter what.

A lot of members here have no spine whatsoever and it's why Cowboys fans have such a reputation of being considered "bandwagon" fans.

Do better.

Go Cowboys.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Possibly the dumbest first post ive seen in a bit, and ive seen a lot of garbage pro/anti dak threads lately.

Hard to think of anyone really overrated here honestly, maybe Tyrone Crawford, David Irving, Jaylon Smith? I dont think Dak nor Romo are/were overrated, in fact a better thread was who was most underappreciated and overly hated?

I’ve got to be honest with you all—I'm not disappointed in this fanbase; I'm downright appalled. The slander of calling Cowboys overrated I see here is staggering just because we havent gotten to the big dance in 28 years.

We'll guess what- 28 years is.a very small sample size in the grand scheme of things. This franchise has 5 rings, which not top many other fanbases can say.

How can so many of you, who call yourselves Cowboys fans, be filled with negativity about current and former players?

I understand that every season has its ups and downs, but the way some of you talk, you'd think every player was overrated. Where’s the faith? Where’s the loyalty? I can’t, for the life of me, see eye to eye with anyone who claims to be a fan but only spreads doubt and negativity.

Did we know that back in 1994 thus franchise was about to go on a dynasty run?

I have absolutely no respect for any Cowboys fan who thinks our players were overrated. You either believe in the star, or you don’t. If you’re going to jump ship every time the water gets a little rough, maybe it’s time to find a new team to “support.” But for those of us who truly believe, we know what this team is capable of, and we stand by them through thick and thin.

So, if you’re one of those who’s called players overrated maybe take a step back and rethink what it means to be a Cowboys fan. Because here, we believe in our team—no matter what.

A lot of members here have no spine whatsoever and it's why Cowboys fans have such a reputation of being considered "bandwagon" fans.

Do better.

Go Cowboys.
gold

Hadenough

Reaction score
Matt Johnson! Hardly ever saw the field and was becoming a legend until he was cut. Dak would be 2nd. The biggest choke job in professional sports and I could understand if it was once or twice but he's making a it a habit in the playoffs.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Without a doubt Jason Witten.

That guy was a little above average at best. His last 3 or 4 years were terrible as he somehow slowed down.

Stats were always padded by garbage time.
1. Tony Romo.
2. T-NEW
3. DFLAW

To me its not even close between Romo and whoever you put in second place.

I dont think Prescott is overrated. That doesnt mean he is a good player. No just because when i read this forum here most are not satisfied with his play. They dont want him here anymore. So the majority does rate his missing talent the right way.

Sure there are a few fanboys who will always scream and throw their panties regardless of what he does. But you can count those on one hand. You have always such people. I cant lable him overrated because of such an unimportant minority.

Last edited: