Who is the most over rated player in Dallas Cowboys history

gtb1943

Reaction score
Without a doubt Jason Witten.

That guy was a little above average at best. His last 3 or 4 years were terrible as he somehow slowed down.

Stats were always padded by garbage time.
11 pro bowls. Do you know how few NFL players ever made that many?
Without a doubt Jason Witten.

That guy was a little above average at best. His last 3 or 4 years were terrible as he somehow slowed down.

Stats were always padded by garbage time.
only 15 players in NFL history made it to more pro bowls.
And you are so out of it you think he will not make it to the HOF?

By the way, every player that has made it to NINE is in the HOF that is eligible.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Explain to me how a 4th round quarterback that is a perennial top ten quarterback, became All Pro and a MVP candidate, can be considered overrated??

Give me an example..... name me another low round drafted player in NFL history that was considered overrated??
Quincy Carter....?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What excuses have I or anyone offered?

Did you offer any excuses in any of the 19 games Dak has had two or more interceptions or the 11 where he has had two or more fumbles?

What does thinking he's very good or not have to do with giving him opportunities while he's under contract?
I honestly don't remember but tell you what if you point out the 5 interception preseason game Dak has had i'll happily knock him for it just like I did Lance.

What do you mean opportunities? What type of opportunity do you want Lance to have?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Explain to me how a 4th round quarterback that is a perennial top ten quarterback, became All Pro and a MVP candidate, can be considered overrated??

Give me an example..... name me another low round drafted player in NFL history that was considered overrated??
Not a one.....at all.

plymkr

Reaction score
I would say either Romo or Dak. Good QBs but not all time greats like some believe.
The problem with Romo and Dak is they are just good enough to not expose the FO but not great enough to get past the divisional round. I’m a big Romo fan and not as much a Dak fan but this reigns true for both. They’re good enough to keep us relevant but not good enough to get us to glory.

And I would say both are overrated because without Jerry’s marketing skills they wouldn’t be talked about as much. If Dak or Romo played for the Raiders or Saints they’d be on Derek Carr’s level of attention.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
Interpreted as: most career receiving yards by tight end

NAME...................REC YDS..GP.....REC......TRG.....AVG...REC YDS/G REC TD
1 Tony Gonzalez 15,127 270 1,325 1,862 11.4 56.0 111
2 Jason Witten 13,046 271 1,228 1,723 10.6 48.1 74
dang Tony Gonzalez was a beast. Really didn’t have an offense that was tailored to his skill and a legit QB until he got to Atlanta(imo at least). Crazy to think he could’ve put even more numbers up in todays world

plymkr

Reaction score
Too many of you remember him from his later years when he slowed down. Even then he was a great chain mover. He missed like one game in his entire career. He’ll be a first ballot Hall of Famer.
Yeah Witten was a beast. Definitely not overrated.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah Witten was a beast. Definitely not overrated.
He was a good player but his era of tight ends were different. Those Todd Heap, Brent Celek types who were more traditional tight ends with the exceptions of guys like Gates and Davis. But after them came these hybrid tight ends like Kelce, Graham and Kittle and it was just more explosive.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whoever I bring up will probably get a lot of hate, but I remember getting in this preposterous argument with a cowboys fan over a decade ago that Dawkins wasn’t close to as good as Darren Woodson. Just blew my mind how much of a homer someone can be.

12 years later one is a second ballot HoFer, and the other has been eligible for 16 years.
Dawkins was better, but Woodson wasnt overrated

plymkr

Reaction score
Felix Jones
Julius Jones
Mike Jenkins
Mo Claiborne
Terence Newman
Brandon Carr
Terence Williams
Davis (offensive lineman FA from Arizona)
Antonio Bryant

Those are my guys that I felt were good starters but way overrated by fans and the FO.