Who is the most over rated player in Dallas Cowboys history

Creeper

Reaction score
What is meant by overrated? If a large % of fans and writers think a play is good then can he be overrated? Or do you mean overrated by the fans today?

If you only look at the end of a player's career I would say most players would be overrated. But given Witten is a HoF TE I don't know how he can be overrated. If anything he is underrated by a lot of people who never watched him play.

The Cowboys overhype all their players all the time. Craig Morton was overrated IMO. Romo was also overrated. Dak is still playing but he was 2nd in the MVP voting last year. Does that make him overrated? I think we need to see how he finishes his career. I think he is overpaid, or will be soon, but that's just me.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Overrated =/= the Cowboy you least like

Among Cowboys fans? Probably Dez, and I really like Dez.

Maybe Troy. But again, ONLY among Cowboys fans.

zerofill

Reaction score
Never thought I would see someone say Jason Witten. The guy in his prime that could always find a way to get open enough to save the QB. Well, not Dak... but any other QB.

The guy literally could find the soft spot in the D, so often it was crazy. He isn't the best TE to play the game but he is definitely somewhere in the top 15.

I guess it just goes to show you, you are only as good as your last game to most people.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If I had to choose, it has to be Troy Aikman. He had about 5 true good/great years and 5 average to bad seasons. One of the most stacked teams of all time, he should have been playing at the level of Steve Young.

Aikman's redeeming quality is that for about 3 postseasons he elevated his game and actually played up to where he was drafted.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dez and Romo together, were pretty amazing. But Romo played to Dez's strengths. Instead of the QB expecting the receiver to adjust, Romo adjusted to the receiver.
Also Dez was criticized pretty heavily during his time here. The issue with Dez is, his peak was so short lived. It was basically the second half of the 2012 season to 2014. Then injuries piled up and he lost a step.

zerofill

Reaction score
Also Dez was criticized pretty heavily during his time here. The issue with Dez is, his peak was so short lived. It was basically the second half of the 2012 season to 2014. Then injuries piled up and he lost a step.
Lot of players like that Marion the Barbarian didn't last long, Zeke, Dez, etc...

zerofill

Reaction score
If I had to choose, it has to be Troy Aikman. He had about 5 true good/great years and 5 average to bad seasons. One of the most stacked teams of all time, he should have been playing at the level of Steve Young.

Aikman's redeeming quality is that for about 3 postseasons he elevated his game and actually played up to where he was drafted.
I liked Aikman... But his first year in Dallas... that took years off his playing lol

zerofill

Reaction score
Yeah, the Austin and Bryant thing never coming together sucks. Austin and his hamstrings, man.
The one thing that I always said, and will always believe is Romo elevated receivers. Most all of them sucked after leaving Dallas.
Dak elevates nothing but his bank account lol.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The one thing that I always said, and will always believe is Romo elevated receivers. Most all of them sucked after leaving Dallas.
Dak elevates nothing but his bank account lol.
Well, Dak has elevated CD's play to some extent. They had some great chemistry so far.

Only too bad they couldn't carry it over to post season.

GINeric

Reaction score
Quincy Carter....?

Carter was drafted in the second round. Dak was drafted in the 4th round. Second round isn't considered a low round draft pick.

Again.... name me a low round draft pick that was considered overrated. I'll patiently wait.....