Who was the worst starting Dallas QB of all time?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The correct answers are Don Heinrich (1960) and Anthony Wright (2000). Forty years apart. No hope. No talent. No wins. No question.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Hmmmm..... the WORST thing a QB can do is throw a Pick 6.

I can't look it up as I have no access to the internet right now...but which one of those on the list threw the most Pick 6s in a year? He"d be my answer.

Remeber the Hypocratic Oath: First, Do No Harm.

Swanny

Reaction score
I don't think QC deserves to be at the top of this list.

Worst QBs that come to mind to start a game.

1. Chad Hutchinson
2. Clint Stoerner
3. Ryan Leaf
4. Stephen McGee
5. QC

We have actually been pretty lucky with starting QBs.

Hutch I think was by far the worst. If I remember right he was a a very good baseball player. Probably should have stuck with baseball.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh here we go again…QB can’t win so it’s other factors. …but when they lose it is the QBs fault….
always a double standard….
That's only among the ever silly dak spatters. Don't think everyone is about that, it's only a small loud group.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I don't think QC deserves to be at the top of this list.

Worst QBs that come to mind to start a game.

1. Chad Hutchinson
2. Clint Stoerner
3. Ryan Leaf
4. Stephen McGee
5. QC

We have actually been pretty lucky with starting QBs.

Hutch I think was by far the worst. If I remember right he was a a very good baseball player. Probably should have stuck with baseball.
Lebaron, Meredith, Morton, Staubach, White, Aikman, Romo, Dak. No franchise since 1960 can show a better overall series of QBs.

The only gaps that were more than a year was White to Aikman and Aikman to Romo. Aikman to Romo was the longest and its no wonder most of the duds in this thread happened then. Or after White went down.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Bill and QC got us to the PO, let that sink end.
A very good D, a relatively easy schedule, and BP got us to the Playoffs. Quincy was just there and 21 INTs and only 17 TDs shows that. Even adding in his rushing stats only just barely comes to evening it all out. I really think 2003 should be considered BP's best coaching year of his career. You look at what he had to work with....
Hambone, QC. And a number of starters that only a year or two later were either rarely used backups or out of the NFL all together.
Downside of that is its arguable that BP pretty much burned out that year; just did not have a lot left in the tank afterwards.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Steve Pelleur. The only reason why you don't see him mentioned more is because many on this board may not have been old enough to remember the mid-late 80s (lol).

We all wanted him to do well, especially after the White vs Hogeboom QB controversy/fiasco. Alas, he had some nice moments, but overall his play stunk and the Cowboys sunk.

Btw...no Steve Walsh on anyone's list? Check out his 1989 tape...then again...better not!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There were a couple of former baseball players who were pretty bad: Hutchinson and another one I can't remember.
Hutchison was terrible, but don’t know why anyone is mentioning Drew Henson. He started one game and played only the first half and we won. He even had a TD pass. He certainly wasn’t terrible, but he wasn’t very good, which is why Parcells decided to bench him after only a half. He didn’t feel he was seeing the field properly but he completed 10 of 18 passes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's only among the ever silly dak spatters. Don't think everyone is about that, it's only a small loud group.
Actually I seen it work both ways.

Dallas wins it is Dak, others say because of other reasons.
Dallas loses, it is Dak, others say because of other reasons.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Hutchison was terrible, but don’t know why anyone is mentioning Drew Henson. He started one game and played only the first half and we won. He even had a TD pass. He certainly wasn’t terrible, but he wasn’t very good, which is why Parcells decided to bench him after only a half. He didn’t feel he was seeing the field properly but he completed 10 of 18 passes.
Well he never did anything anywhere else so it seems BP was right about him.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jerry went through a really bad run from 2001 to 2004 with the likes of Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoerner, and Drew Henson (I was hopeful about Henson, I was wrong).

For all of you Jerry apologists, if the team did not luck into Tony Romo (undrafted free agent who only stayed on the roster because of Quincy Carter's arrest) and Dak Prescott (drafted late 4th round after failing to trade for Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook), the Cowboys could be in whole other world now.

Any of those QB's would qualify for "worst starting QB in Cowboys history" honors but for me, the Gary Hogeboom and Steve Pelluer games were brutal.