Why are big contracts so hard to negotiate 2024?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Is this a serious question? Open your eyes.
So greedy players are the reason for the Cowboys futility? Jerry would field a winner if he could just keep them on their rookie deals forever? I guess you think the owners should keep the original ticket prices, naming rights and TV deals from the 80s?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So greedy players are the reason for the Cowboys futility? Jerry would field a winner if he could just keep them on their rookie deals forever? I guess you think the owners should keep the original ticket prices, naming rights and TV deals from the 80s?
I can tell you've never owned or ran a business. You would run that business straight into bankruptcy.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Albert Einstein would have probably failed at running a football team.
Coach 'Stein would have immediately continued on his mathematical work on creating a traversable lorentzian wormhole so that players can instantly teleport to the end zone.
It would have been great!

CCBoy

Reaction score
  1. The Dallas Cowboys are just one day away from kicking off training camp in Oxnard, California. The traditional kick off to the season will face added pressure as the Cowboys head into a critical 2024 season.It's been well-publicized at this point that several key figures in the current Cowboys regime are facing make-or-break seasons. Mike McCarthy is in the final year of his contract. Dak Prescott and CeeDee Lamb are in the same boat.
  2. After three straight years of 12 wins with early exits in the playoffs, there's a lot of pressure for the Cowboys to finally break through. The dawn of training camp brings those goals into focus and brings a whole new batch of buzz concerning important injury updates and contract negotiations
bleacherreport

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
  1. The Dallas Cowboys are just one day away from kicking off training camp in Oxnard, California. The traditional kick off to the season will face added pressure as the Cowboys head into a critical 2024 season.It's been well-publicized at this point that several key figures in the current Cowboys regime are facing make-or-break seasons. Mike McCarthy is in the final year of his contract. Dak Prescott and CeeDee Lamb are in the same boat.
  2. After three straight years of 12 wins with early exits in the playoffs, there's a lot of pressure for the Cowboys to finally break through. The dawn of training camp brings those goals into focus and brings a whole new batch of buzz concerning important injury updates and contract negotiations
bleacherreport
first of all, training camp is not a deadline for any of this stuff you do realize that if they want to keep CD Lamb who's already by the way under contract for $1,000,000 per game he's not missing this season whether he gets a new deal or not he'll be here for game one.

I don't think anybody's eating all these fines from right now starting today up to game one and then it starts to be $1,000,000 a game plus that he's gonna start having to pay the Cowboys back I don't think that's gonna happen same thing with Michael Parsons $1.25 million per game for next year he still has two years left on his contract y'all act like these dudes are gone or something they could be forced to play.

Literally for 2024 is all we need to worry about these dudes are all under contract so I'm not sure what you guys are worried about there is no intrigue I mean I'd like to get them tucked into bed but Prescott's gonna need to be signed first the rest of the chips will fall but don't act like we don't have a team to field this year these dudes will show up their inspiration will be losing $1,000,000 a game plus all the fines and the fact that you're letting your team down..

they are under contract period end of story and they're not under contract for chump change $1,000,000 a game we're supposed to tug at our heartstrings as fans if that's not enough giving these guys their fifth year option is part of the negotiation and that means they're under contract..

I think we're going to have a good team this year what that means I don't know but I don't think it's going to be this 8-9 nonsense that's being predicted our core players will show up and I think we're going to be inspired to play well and we'll see what that really means I don't know how far that means we're going to go but we're not going to finish third in our division and be terrible..

that's just an opinion but sorry it's don't feel that way...

This is easy it's like any other year what interests me the most about training camp is seeing their rookies and 2nd year players trying to take spots from the old guard is moved on and now we have some holes to fill and I wanna see these players step up and do well you know it's the next generation of Dallas Cowboys....

Chuck 54

Reaction score
My reason it’s hard to negotiate a new contract in 2024.
The salary cap crept along for years, increasing by single digit percentage points year after year. Suddenly NFL revenue streams are starting to increase. Some anticipate the increase to reach 20-25% annually in the next few years. The more the NFL makes, the more the players want instead of watching it go into the pockets of billionaire owners. No one wants to sign a new contract today, only to realize they are way underpaid in two years. We‘ve seen this issue slightly with QBs already, but now every star sees this inevitable change coming for them.

I think players and agents are looking at more than other recent contracts. They are looking beyond how they stack up vs other players at their position and beyond how they stack up vs the last contract signed. It’s not just about the guaranteed money, but also projecting where salaries will be in the next year or two. Guaranteed money and upfront signing bonuses are how the player invests and makes sure their total income keeps up with salary jumps. But guarantees are what can cripple a team when severe injuries come.

It’s money; it’s bonuses; it’s guarantees; it’s having eyes toward the inevitable huge cap increases coming; it’s contract language where owners try to protect themselves and players assure they get their fair share of the pie when they are the key ingredients. Negotiations are only going to get more difficult until someone comes up with a new plan for the league.

It’s much more complicated than fans sitting around saying the best player deserves this, and the second best player deserves less. This is capitalism and labor in its purest form. Company profits suddenly explode like never before; each and every employee has an agent fighting to get a fair share of that with an eye to the projections of even higher profits in the near future.

CCBoy

Reaction score
first of all, training camp is not a deadline for any of this stuff you do realize that if they want to keep CD Lamb who's already by the way under contract for $1,000,000 per game he's not missing this season whether he gets a new deal or not he'll be here for game one.

I don't think anybody's eating all these fines from right now starting today up to game one and then it starts to be $1,000,000 a game plus that he's gonna start having to pay the Cowboys back I don't think that's gonna happen same thing with Michael Parsons $1.25 million per game for next year he still has two years left on his contract y'all act like these dudes are gone or something they could be forced to play.

Literally for 2024 is all we need to worry about these dudes are all under contract so I'm not sure what you guys are worried about there is no intrigue I mean I'd like to get them tucked into bed but Prescott's gonna need to be signed first the rest of the chips will fall but don't act like we don't have a team to field this year these dudes will show up their inspiration will be losing $1,000,000 a game plus all the fines and the fact that you're letting your team down..

they are under contract period end of story and they're not under contract for chump change $1,000,000 a game we're supposed to tug at our heartstrings as fans if that's not enough giving these guys their fifth year option is part of the negotiation and that means they're under contract..

I think we're going to have a good team this year what that means I don't know but I don't think it's going to be this 8-9 nonsense that's being predicted our core players will show up and I think we're going to be inspired to play well and we'll see what that really means I don't know how far that means we're going to go but we're not going to finish third in our division and be terrible..

that's just an opinion but sorry it's don't feel that way...

This is easy it's like any other year what interests me the most about training camp is seeing their rookies and 2nd year players trying to take spots from the old guard is moved on and now we have some holes to fill and I wanna see these players step up and do well you know it's the next generation of Dallas Cowboys....
You directed a personal agenda into a fabricated and personal attachment to self inflate.

I pointed out two elements that include the head coach and starting quarterback that aren't your bragadocias material to look all pompous about

Final contracts for both.

Now tell who will be returning here and now, smart guy.

As you were...carry on!

Critical decisions for the entire franchise and reflective on Jerry and Stephen here and now.

Last edited:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
There is a salary cap in place. What don't you understand about that?
Understand? Are you serious right now? Yes! There is a salary cap in place.....for EVERYBODY! And EVERYBODY in the NFC has managed to get to the NFC title game over the last ~30 years EXCEPT Dallas and Washington.....and you think it's due to greedy players???!!! No wonder the Cowboys are worth more than any franchise in the HISTORY of sports....because of fans like you that THINK the PLAYERS greed is in the way of this franchise having success on the field!!!!!

Maybe I should be asking you what DON'T you understand. I live in Washington....so I have the pulse of the residents and the fanbase.....and it is NOT shocking that the Commanders are in this conversation...and it's NOT because of greedy players....hence Dan Snyder has been kicked out the club....and ONLY if we could get this lucky as fans of the Cowboys that know who the REAL problem is!

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Yeah but there’s also the chiefs who signed super talented DT Chris Jones to a huge contract despite having the highest paid QB in the NFL on the payroll. Or the Vikings who signed their top WR weeks ago setting the market ahead of the Cowboys who now must pay Cedee Lamb at least as much as John Jefferson. Or the hated eagles signing Saquon Barkley and edge rusher Bryce Huff to big deals despite having a huge QB contract with Hurts.

My point is it’s not as hard if you plan on how and when to do it. Waiting almost always makes it harder and worse - cost more.
Not to mention....the Eagles have 2 highly paid WRs

blueblood70

Reaction score
You directed a personal agenda into a fabricated and personal attachment to self inflate.

I pointed out two elements that include the head coach and starting quarterback that aren't your bragadocias material to look all pompous about

Final contracts for both.

Now tell who will be returning here and now, smart guy.

As you were...carry on!

Critical decisions for the entire franchise and reflective on Jerry and Stephen here and now.
Easy stay in 2024 that's all that matters they don't play two or three seasons all at once it's a year to year league start over next offseason worry about next offseason next offseason right now we have a starting team with a head coach and starting quarterback all under contract all making big time money I expect them all to be here game one play all 17 games plus hopefully go to the playoffs that's it how about that you carry on this team has been paid and is organized for 2024..

anything beyond that does not matter right in the here and now

I love it how y'all bring things up use words like here and now but then we're talking about next year's contracts they're all under contract every single player right now that we need this year is under contract that's all it matters nothing matters for the not here and now cause here and now would be this season and they're all under contract...

next..................................

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Understand? Are you serious right now? Yes! There is a salary cap in place.....for EVERYBODY! And EVERYBODY in the NFC has managed to get to the NFC title game over the last ~30 years EXCEPT Dallas and Washington.....and you think it's due to greedy players???!!! No wonder the Cowboys are worth more than any franchise in the HISTORY of sports....because of fans like you that THINK the PLAYERS greed is in the way of this franchise having success on the field!!!!!

Maybe I should be asking you what DON'T you understand. I live in Washington....so I have the pulse of the residents and the fanbase.....and it is NOT shocking that the Commanders are in this conversation...and it's NOT because of greedy players....hence Dan Snyder has been kicked out the club....and ONLY if we could get this lucky as fans of the Cowboys that know who the REAL problem is!
Ooook, so if a salary cap being in place is not the problem, what is the problem? Explain yourself thoroughly in detail.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Easy stay in 2024 that's all that matters they don't play two or three seasons all at once it's a year to year league start over next offseason worry about next offseason next offseason right now we have a starting team with a head coach and starting quarterback all under contract all making big time money I expect them all to be here game one play all 17 games plus hopefully go to the playoffs that's it how about that you carry on this team has been paid and is organized for 2024..

anything beyond that does not matter right in the here and now

I love it how y'all bring things up use words like here and now but then we're talking about next year's contracts they're all under contract every single player right now that we need this year is under contract that's all it matters nothing matters for the not here and now cause here and now would be this season and they're all under contract...

next..................................
Couldn't answer the questions on merit and miss both value and merit implied. Just stick to complaining about Jerry, hero.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Couldn't answer the questions on merit and miss both value and merit implied. Just stick to complaining about Jerry, hero.
Actually I don't complain about Jerry at all....

I don't know who you're talking about that would not be me you better reread my stuff I'm the voice of reason in here and I'm always going against the grain...

I am not a sheep.. I'm pretty unpopular in here because I state complete opposite of what people are hoping when they start all these flame wars and ripping apart our teams players and coaches yes and our owners and GM and blah blah blah blah blah talking about 28 years in the past or two years in the future and I'm in the hearing now I thought you wanted to talk about the hearing now Xbox today everybody's under contract for 2024 and that's all I care about... And if I'm a betting man I'd say they're all suiting up and playing because I don't think any guy on this team can afford to lose $1,000,000 a game because that's what's on the line they can posture all they want it's not happening... All those fines begin today and then you can stack the $1,000,000 per game if they try to miss a game it's not happening..... These aren't guys making the minimum these aren't friends dudes that hope for a big contract they're all gonna eventually get paid but right now they're under massive contracts....

I'm just telling you right now all the nonsense about this offseason all the other historically off season it's a waste of time talking about contracts is a waste of time they're all under contract for this year and it's a football fan and somebody who watches sports that's all that matters...

next year they could go under and there could be no football. I mean the world could end , all i I care about is the here and now, like you're talking about everybody's under contract... So what do we have to talk about? Again for me it's about training camp about the rookies that seeing new guys seeing some guys step up they've been on the team less than two seasons I wanna see them play in the preseason that's it that's all I care about we have a core coming back for this team I'm not worried...