Why are the Watkins Fans So Afraid of Bringing in Competition?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
smarta5150;1396280 said:
Wow... did you forget RW falling over the ref?

With you and others beliefs we need to find replacements for all porsitions.

Remember that 1 time Tony Romo threw an INT? Remember when RW was burnt? How about Newman and Henry? And that JJ fumble? How about those drops TO had? And the Terry Glenn drop against the Giants that was picked off? Miles fumbled once too... and all those missed blocks and penalties by our oline.

Man, we need a lot of new players.

Yes, the Cowboys were in deep cover 2 on that play, meaning both safeties were back to defend agains the deep ball (which makes it all the more sad that we still couldn't stop it). Roy was coming over to help, but that was Watkins zone and primary responsibility ... which is why he was right next to Burress just standing there like a mannequin looking up at him.

Yeah, I remember Romo throwing an INT. I remember RW being burnt (plenty). Do you remember Pat Watkins being benched for Keith Davis, the worst free safety in the league? Using your logic, we shouldn't try to upgrade over anybody.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1396286 said:
Yes, the Cowboys were in deep cover 2 on that play. Roy was coming over to help, but that was Watkins zone ... which is why he was standing right next to Burress just standing there looking up at him.

Yeah, I remember Romo throwing an INT. I remember RW being burnt (plenty).

Do you remember Pat Watkins being benched for Keith Davis, the worst free safety in the league?[/quote]

Yeah I do.

Thanks for reminding me of yet, ANOTHER bad coaching decision by Parcells.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
smarta5150;1396288 said:
InmanRoshi;1396286 said:
Yes, the Cowboys were in deep cover 2 on that play. Roy was coming over to help, but that was Watkins zone ... which is why he was standing right next to Burress just standing there looking up at him.

Yeah, I remember Romo throwing an INT. I remember RW being burnt (plenty).

Do you remember Pat Watkins being benched for Keith Davis, the worst free safety in the league?[/quote]

Yeah I do.

Thanks for reminding me of yet, ANOTHER bad coaching decision by Parcells.

I'll remind you of one more ... starting Watkins in the first place. It single handedly cost us at least one game, maybe two.

Sad part is, the defense actually got even worse when Watkins replaced Davis again the last three games of the season. We had to go sign a washed up vet like Tony Parrish, who couldn't keep a job on the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL, because they were both so bad.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1396297 said:
I'll remind you of one more ... starting Watkins in the first place. It single handedly cost us at least one game, maybe two.

Sad part is, the defense actually got even worse when Watkins replaced Davis again the last three games of the season. We had to go sign a washed up vet like Tony Parrish, who couldn't keep a job on the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL, because they were both so bad.

You are just saying "stuff."

Our defense went downhill when Greg Ellis got injured.

Not when Watkins was playing...

Was Watkins responsible for the ZERO pass rush? No.

Was Watkins responsible for covering FBs our of the backfield? No.

When did we start getting punished on defense? When we had ZERO pass rush and we couldnt cover short passes (mainly against FBs).

And you blaming Watkins for 1 or 2 losses is ridiculous... you are just another person who thinks football is won and lost on the shoulders of an individual.

Football is arguably the most involved team sport out of any sport out ther.

So keeping saying "stuff" and convinicing you and ONLY you that what you are saying makes sense.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1396286 said:
Yeah, I remember Romo throwing an INT. I remember RW being burnt (plenty). Do you remember Pat Watkins being benched for Keith Davis, the worst free safety in the league? Using your logic, we shouldn't try to upgrade over anybody.
If you were GM or coach, every single rookie had better play like stars or they're cut.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;1396267 said:
Replaced Davis the second half of the season? Watkins was benched midway into the season. Then he went back into the starting lineup the final three games of the season, more due to how bad Keith Davis is ... which speaks volumes that Watkins couldn't keep him off the bench. In those final three games with Watkins back in the lineup the Dallas defense surrendered 28, 23 and 39 points. Quite a difference maker.

What an blank comment. All of a sudden Pat Watkins is responsible for the performance of the entire defense. I remember when your hero Bledsoe was stinking up the joint-- you folks couldn't wait to pass blame on his shatty performance on virtually every other member of the team. But since Watkins doesn't generate the man-love he is responsible for the entire defense.

What other big plays did he give up? How about the first drive of the Monday Night game to the Giants where he just stood there slack jawed and dumbfounded looking up as Plaxico Burress caught a pass right next to him in the endzone? Does a 50 yard pass qualify as a big play?

Again, that was BEFORE he was benched. Not after. I said, "After he was benched"... see if you can stay with me scribe.

Hell in those last three games that Watkins started he was about the ONLY guy on the defense that wasn't getting toasted.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Clove;1396324 said:
If you were GM or coach, every single rookie had better play like stars or they're cut.

Almost every single starter, Canty Fergy Spears Singleton Ellis Carpenter Ayodele Ware Newman Henry Williams Glenn Owens Witten Hoyte Jones/Barber Adams Kosier Gurode Columbo Romo McBriar and Grammatica, all played better at their relative positions than did Watkins.

Basically the starters he played on par with were Rivera Davis James and Vanderjagt. As IR outlined very well is that he is often in postion where he could make a play yet he does not.

Now perhaps he can snap out of this but if all of you are wrong and he plays more like a fifth rounder than a second rounder the WFC seems to think that he is then you have hamstrung our defense.

One thing that people were always complaining about last year was that Williams was getting caught in deep coverage and burned but has it occured to anyone that the reason why Williams was deep was because the FS lined up next to him couldnt handle the job?

Im sure safety man coverage would have been an absolute nightmare.

WE NEED A FS THAT CAN HANDLE THE DEEP ZONE. If we dont have that then all of this talk of Williams playing in the box to his strengths goes by the wayside and we get more of both of our safteies staring up at a NFC East receiver catching a 30+ yard pass a few times every game.

If we get marginal talent to compete with Watkins and Watkins continues to play like marginal talent like he did last year then were absolutely toasted.

I dont know about you guys but for the last few years I am sick and tired of hearing how the Cowboys are going to give Dixon or Davis or some other scrub a chance to develop and year after year watch Williams ahve to be played away from his strengths because some scrub couldnt hack it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396393 said:
Almost every single starter, Canty Fergy Spears Singleton Ellis Carpenter Ayodele Ware Newman Henry Williams Glenn Owens Witten Hoyte Jones/Barber Adams Kosier Gurode Columbo Romo McBriar and Grammatica, all played better at their relative positions than did Watkins.
In their rookie seasons? Absolutely not. You've moved beyond rational debate if you're actually claiming this.

adamknite

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1396286 said:
Yes, the Cowboys were in deep cover 2 on that play, meaning both safeties were back to defend agains the deep ball (which makes it all the more sad that we still couldn't stop it). Roy was coming over to help, but that was Watkins zone and primary responsibility ... which is why he was right next to Burress just standing there like a mannequin looking up at him.

Wow.... a rookie FS made a mistake.... I think the world is about to end!!!!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt;1396396 said:
In their rookie seasons? Absolutely not. You've moved beyond rational debate if you're actually claiming this.

I dont care how much tenure they have in the league. If they start then they are going to be held to the standard of other starters. Rookies ro 15 year vets. Hes not lining up against rookies.

Name me 4 starting FSs that werent spot starters that played worse than he did last season.

Lets get real here. He started off the season plaing absolutely putrid and ended the season with a whimper.

Do i think that his play will improve will improve next season? You bet i do but i also come with the realization that it is going to take SIGNIFICANT improvement for him to be considered simply average

Perhaps the 'he was only a rookie so its okay that he sucked as a starter' rationale works for you but I will be very dissappointed if the front office does not obtain a player that at the very least has a high probability of being a better than average FS in the NFL.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
adamknite;1396411 said:
Wow.... a rookie FS made a mistake.... I think the world is about to end!!!!

Read the thread. Its one of IR's multiple responses to the WFC delusion that Watkins only made one or two mistakes and that none of them were after he returned as a starter.

Hes been through several examples hes just having to respond to someone saying that that particular one was Williams fault.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396414 said:
I dont care how much tenure they have in the league. If they start then they are going to be held to the standard of other starters. Rookies ro 15 year vets. Hes not lining up against rookies.
Thanks for confirming that you've moved to the realm of total irrationality. Have a nice day.

adamknite

Reaction score
Rookie safeties drafted before Watkins

Watkins
38 Tackles 3 INT's 4 Pass Defences

First Round
Huff
78 tackles 0 INT's 0 Pass Defences

Whitner
104 tackles 1 INT's 4 Pass Defences

Allen
20 tackles 1 INT's 1 Pass Defence

Second Round
Bullocks
74 tackles 0 INT's 3 Pass Defences

Manning
64 Tackles 2 INT's 5 Pass Defences

Harper
26 tackles 0 INT's 3 Pass Defences

Pollard
10 tackles 0 INT's 1 Pass Defence

Third Round

A Smith
28 tackles 2 INT's 6 Pass Defences

E Smith
27 tackles 2 INT's 0 Defence

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt;1396427 said:
Thanks for confirming that you've moved to the realm of total irrationality. Have a nice day.

Okay that makes a lot of sense. i mean forget about needing players on the field that can actually win matchups and make plays. I know we should just start all of our rookies and then that will be fine when we dont win a game. Because after all they need time to develop.

HE WAS THE WORST STARTING FS IN THE LEAGUE NOT NAMED KEITH DAVIS.

So whats your excuse going to be for him when hes only the 25th ranked FS next year? Hes only in hiis second year?

Starters need to be able to make plays and win matchups. Watkins has not shown that he can. You make escuses for poor performances and Ill keep hoping for someone that cna get the job done.

I am just glad we have Rob Pettiti as an example of how the FO responds to performances like those two. Low round draft picks forced to start but just dont get the job done. Pettit is somewhwere on the bench where he belongs cause he couldnt beat his competition.

I guess you wre pining for Pettiti to get another shot as well?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
adamknite;1396435 said:
Rookie safeties drafted before Watkins

Watkins
38 Tackles 3 INT's 4 Pass Defences

First Round
Huff
78 tackles 0 INT's 0 Pass Defences

Whitner
104 tackles 1 INT's 4 Pass Defences

Allen
20 tackles 1 INT's 1 Pass Defence

Second Round
Bullocks
74 tackles 0 INT's 3 Pass Defences

Manning
64 Tackles 2 INT's 5 Pass Defences

Harper
26 tackles 0 INT's 3 Pass Defences

Pollard
10 tackles 0 INT's 1 Pass Defence

Third Round

A Smith
28 tackles 2 INT's 6 Pass Defences

E Smith
27 tackles 2 INT's 0 Defence

Its missing the one stat im interested in: passing plays of over 20 yards given up.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396438 said:
HE WAS THE WORST STARTING FS IN THE LEAGUE NOT NAMED KEITH DAVIS.
Link? Got any stats? Any idea where he stacked up on completion percentage? Any idea on what his YPA were when he was the closest defender? How that compares to other FSs? How do those numbers care to other rookie FSs? How about rookie FSs historically?

If you can't answer every one of those questions you're making a fool of yourself.

adamknite

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396441 said:
Its missing the one stat im interested in: passing plays of over 20 yards given up.

Wow.... somebody gives you stats and yet you ask for more. I didn't skew anything I reported 3 stats and did them evenly for every player I listed no matter how they looked compared to Watkins. If you want that stat how about you look it up or watch every game featuring those players and then tell me stat... that a deal?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt;1396445 said:
Link? Got any stats? Any idea where he stacked up on completion percentage? Any idea on what his YPA were when he was the closest defender? How that compares to other FSs? How do those numbers care to other rookie FSs? How about rookie FSs historically?

If you can't answer every one of those questions you're making a fool of yourself.

Sure its anecdotal but he being benched in favor of Davis certainly says something. Im going to start doing some looking but Im sure most stat sites with the good situational info are pay sites but ill see.

I just cant think of one FS worse than him but ill brb.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1396445 said:

Well said.

If Fuzzy wasn't filled with hate before... :D

But the fact is there are too many smart fans in this forum to think you can just come in here, lay some unsubstantianted smack down on us and leave without being it being contested.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
adamknite;1396449 said:
Wow.... somebody gives you stats and yet you ask for more. I didn't skew anything I reported 3 stats and did them evenly for every player I listed no matter how they looked compared to Watkins. If you want that stat how about you look it up or watch every game featuring those players and then tell me stat... that a deal?

My point is that Watkins had major problems in deep coverage. Showing me tackle stats really doesnt say anything one way or another.