Why are the Watkins Fans So Afraid of Bringing in Competition?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1396453 said:
Well said.

If Fuzzy wasn't filled with hate before... :D

But the fact is there are too many smart fans in this forum to think you can just come in here, lay some unsubstantianted smack down on us and leave without being it being contested.

it works both ways.

if you are so sure its wrong name me just two regular FS starters not named Keith Davis that Watkins was superior to.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said earlier over the last three games Watkins played he did darned well... And he was one of the few guys that wasn't getting burned in pass coverage:

Roy
Newman
Henry
Glenn
Almost every freaking linebacker on the roster.

Watkins did more than "OK" in those last three games.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396450 said:
Sure its anecdotal but he being benched in favor of Davis certainly says something. Im going to start doing some looking but Im sure most stat sites with the good situational info are pay sites but ill see.

I just cant think of one FS worse than him but ill brb.
STATS Inc. is about the only place that you could get those kinds of stats. You'd have to be a member of the press or an NFL team to have access. We'll have to wait untill July for KC Joyner's Football Scientist to be published.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;1396458 said:
it works both ways.

if you are so sure its wrong name me just two regular FS starters not named Keith Davis that Watkins was superior to.

I couldn't because I don't watch every single game.

But like I said after Watkins returned to the starting lineup he played darned well IMO.

adamknite

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396455 said:
My point is that Watkins had major problems in deep coverage. Showing me tackle stats really doesnt say anything one way or another.

No your point is that somebody gives you some stats compared to other rookies drafted before him and you demand more. In my post with the stats I didn't make any statements referring them I left it to the reader of the post to make their own judgments and you judgment was to say "i'd rather have this stat." So my rebutle was telling you to shut up unless you can give me a stat to your argument. My argument is that drafting a FS in the first round at 22 is not necassarily going to give us a better option than Watkins with a year under his belt. What about a FA FS, what happened when the Commanders signed the "best" safety in free agency last year!? You can't have a 1st round pick or probowler at every position, so lets fill some other gaps on the team and see what Watkins can do with a year of experiance since he showed some promise last year.

TEK2000

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396458 said:
it works both ways.

Sean Taylor is one of them. 11 TD's allowed and 1 INT.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TEK2000;1396472 said:
Indeed. Imagine if Watkins had set an all-time league record for missed tackles.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1396459 said:
Like I said earlier over the last three games Watkins played he did darned well... And he was one of the few guys that wasn't getting burned in pass coverage:

Roy
Newman
Henry
Glenn
Almost every freaking linebacker on the roster.

Watkins did more than "OK" in those last three games.

i disagree with that assesment. What play other than the Falcons interception where Roy slammed into the receiver before Watkings caught it did he make?

TEK2000

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396480 said:
i disagree with that assesment. What play other than the Falcons interception where Roy slammed into the receiver before Watkings caught it did he make?

He forced a fumble vs the Eagles game 2. EDIT: Scratch that... it was game 1 not game 2 that I was thinking about. DOH!

INT during Lions game. Pass Def. during Lions game.

I also don't remember any recievers making too many catches in his zone.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
adamknite;1396468 said:
No your point is that somebody gives you some stats compared to other rookies drafted before him and you demand more. In my post with the stats I didn't make any statements referring them I left it to the reader of the post to make their own judgments and you judgment was to say "i'd rather have this stat." So my rebutle was telling you to shut up unless you can give me a stat to your argument. My argument is that drafting a FS in the first round at 22 is not necassarily going to give us a better option than Watkins with a year under his belt. What about a FA FS, what happened when the Commanders signed the "best" safety in free agency last year!? You can't have a 1st round pick or probowler at every position, so lets fill some other gaps on the team and see what Watkins can do with a year of experiance since he showed some promise last year.

Whatever, try explaining how they are in any way relevant to the discussion at hand. I explained how the stats I am asking for would pertain.

All youre doing is giving the sats and expecting someone to care without an explanation as to how they pertain.

As for the whole Archuleta thing that was just stupidity on the Commanders part just as we would be stupid to pick up say Hamlin. I can guarantee you that barring injury Babineaux or Grant would outplay Watkins. And the odss are that so would Landry or Nelson or Henry or any multitude of NFL DBs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396210 said:
I have a viewpoint on this topic so if that makes me have an agenda then I guess I am guilty as charged. At least I try to back my 'agenda' up.

So long as you are aware of the fact that this is agenda driven, I don't really see a problem. If your point is that we need to bring in comp for Watkins, I'm fine with that. However, comp does not automatically mean a 1st round pick. Lets be real here. Typically, spending a 1st round pick on a position means you expect that player to be an impact player who starts long term. It doesn't represent bringing in a player to compete. That's the fact. A fact that you are well aware of but elect to over look. No big deal. As you said, you have your opinion and it is as valid as anybody else's. Not more, not less and that's fine.

TEK2000

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396488 said:
Whatever, try explaining how they are in any way relevant to the discussion at hand. I explained how the stats I am asking for would pertain.

All youre doing is giving the sats and expecting someone to care without an explanation as to how they pertain.

As for the whole Archuleta thing that was just stupidity on the Commanders part just as we would be stupid to pick up say Hamlin. I can guarantee you that barring injury Babineaux or Grant would outplay Watkins. And the odss are that so would Landry or Nelson or Henry or any multitude of NFL DBs.

NOBODY IS ARGUING THAT!!!!! This discussion is about whether its WORTH THE 1st round draft pick and/or the MONEY to bring in those top notch players.

As has already been stated numerous times... you can't have ProBowlers/1st round picks at EVERY position.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
TEK2000;1396472 said:

Yeah cause Watkins allowed at least 4 in 8 games started. So hes on par with the worst FS in the league thats nice.

adamknite

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396488 said:

No I'm giving stats for people to make their on assement over. I'm not skewing the stats to try and make people agree with me, I'm just giving them and letting others decide for themselves what to make of them. Those are the only stats I had available to me so I gave that, if you would like to add to them feel free to do so infact I'd be glad if you would. So you can guarantee me that these players will outplay Watkins huh? Bold statement coming from somebody who has nothing to do with the NFL :rollseyes:

Your stats pertain to how Watkins will play this year? How about we take every player in the hall of fame and look at their stats during their rookie year, I can tell you right now that there are going to be some pretty big names with putrid rookie stats.

Watkins showed a lot of promise, with some good coaching he can be a pretty good player in this league. You can't have top picks at every position or high priced free agents. Sometimes you just have to take what you have and see what happens. Plus a so-so rookie year doesn't define somebody's whole career.

Finally, look at all the free agents who went to another team and just don't equal up to the player they were, it happens all the time. Why bring somebody in for big money if they are just as big of a risk as the guy you already have?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1396489 said:
So long as you are aware of the fact that this is agenda driven, I don't really see a problem. If your point is that we need to bring in comp for Watkins, I'm fine with that. However, comp does not automatically mean a 1st round pick. Lets be real here. Typically, spending a 1st round pick on a position means you expect that player to be an impact player who starts long term. It doesn't represent bringing in a player to compete. That's the fact. A fact that you are well aware of but elect to over look. No big deal. As you said, you have your opinion and it is as valid as anybody else's. Not more, not less and that's fine.

You know that this is so old and misused its not even funny. Just saying he has an agenda and thinking thats all you have to say to discredit them is quite frankly dumb.

Now if my agenda were to bash Watkins at all costs and refuse to listen to any other evidence just so i can be right then you would have a point. However this is not the case

What my agenda is that i want the Cowboys to win.

If Watkins were a guarntee to take a quantum leap from below average then i would be all for that. I think that for our defense especially with Roy Williams starting at SS to be succesful that we have to have very good coverage from the FS postion. It just so happens that I dont think considering his performance last year that he has a high probability of being able to do that. Thus my agenda kicks in.

TEK2000

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396502 said:
Yeah cause Watkins allowed at least 4 in 8 games started. So hes on par with the worst FS in the league thats nice.

Not sure where you learned math but allowing TD's in 68% of the games started (Taylor) is a good bit more than allowing TD's in 50% of games started.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396526 said:
You know that this is so old and misused its not even funny. Just saying he has an agenda and thinking thats all you have to say to discredit them is quite frankly dumb.

Now if my agenda were to bash Watkins at all costs and refuse to listen to any other evidence just so i can be right then you would have a point. However this is not the case

What my agenda is that i want the Cowboys to win.

If Watkins were a guarntee to take a quantum leap from below average then i would be all for that. I think that for our defense especially with Roy Williams starting at SS to be succesful that we have to have very good coverage from the FS postion. It just so happens that I dont think considering his performance last year that he has a high probability of being able to do that. Thus my agenda kicks in.

If dumb is the term you wish to use to describe my opinion, that's fine. I'm not affraid of the boards opinion where this is concerned. Your original reasoning for this was that we are all affraid to bring in comp for Watkins. Well, suppose you explain to me how using a 1st round pick on a Safety reflects anything but the team expecting that player to be a long term starter. That doesn't represent compatition. That represents expectation. Explain to me how this is wrong. I'm willing to be convinced if you feel your reasoning is sound. Let me hear it.

BPA is the way to go but in truch, if our BPA is at a position you are not ready to invest a 1st round pick on, then you trade. That's the way it works. Only team knows how they feel about Watkins. They may elect to draft a FS, who knows? Certainly not you. If that happens, then I'd say the team feels like they know all they need to know about Watkins. However, this is really not about the player, per say. This is about how you run your football team. This is about philosophy of building a team. In my opinion, you don't give up on players that are physically talented enough to play the position at a high level. mental mistakes are part of player development. You don't just give up on these guys after a season. That's a receipe for disaster IMO. Not a policy I am in favor of adopting for our football team.

I'm listining.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1395939 said:
Why does everyone think Im always mad??

Im not mad really.

Dr. Buddy Rydell: Alright, I'm going to need for you to ****** your anger level a few notches and listen to me, can you do that?
Dave Buznik: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah... it's ********, I'm ********.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Why are the Watkins Fans So Afraid of Bringing in Competition?

Because there's a narcissistic tendency to assume that anything we touch turns to gold.

Chris Canty? Steal! Watkins? Steal!

Um, no.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
bbgun;1396568 said:
Because there's a narcissistic tendency to assume that anything we touch turns to gold.

Chris Canty? Steal! Watkins? Steal!

Um, no.

Its just called giving a guy a chance to learn and grow.

What if Brady was cut loose becuase he was just a back up?

Damn, give the man 3 years, if he doesnt pan out then replace him.

If he showed zero potential then I would be all for moving on, but the kid has upside and showed sparks once he got bback in.