Why are we in a rush to sign Dak?

NotForLong

Reaction score
That one was. That was on Dak...honestly that video doesn't do it justice but on the replay you could see a better thrown ball would've been Gallup open to make the catch for a big gain. The other two plays though there was nothing there.

San Fran had their number and when something like that opens up you gotta take advantage. Gotta step up and make a throw he can make.
One time I wish He would . . . We shall see

NotForLong

Reaction score
Jerry's in for a rude awakening though, if not from the media from the fans.

Everybody's last impression of Dak wasn't good and he's gonna hear it after the first pick this year no matter what and if things go bad that'll be it. I have a feeling Dak's already lost the fan base and you know there's nothing worse for Jerry than to hear boos directed at his boy in his house.

Always remember what Troy said. "Dallas isn't a Cowboy's town...it's a winner's town." And we booed him at the end too.
This season it will be either With or Without Him . . . Mike is fighting for His own life. I believe Jerry has given Him full authority to do as he wishes

The Dak Experiment is over. He either performs or He is Benched . . . NFC Championship may save Mike's Job but I think it will take a Super Bowl appearance

2023 will Be McCarthy's team . . . Dak has to sink or swim this year

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good! Use next year's 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB, plus sign a free agent vet on a team friendly 2 year deal. Gives the rookie time to get ready.

Or do you prefer paying $50+ million/year while limiting even more the team's salary cap going forward with so many other key players due for a contract extension?

I want to hear how your plan would work.

Remember, there is no bigger Dak supporter around here than me, but there comes a point where you simply can't keep overpaying any QB at the detriment of the team.
That actually happened to me with Zeke. I mean at some point....you have to put aside the player for the team.

Problem for me is some people do it way too early and with sickening vileness.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
One suggestion could be that He is an descending player and needs to learn a new offense that doesn't rely primarily on comeback routes
There's nothing about him that's descending, that's just based on last year's INTs, which were an anomaly.

The language is only going to be 15-20% different and it should be much easier on the quarterback. There shouldn't be any concerns in that regard.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's nothing about him that's descending, that's just based on last year's INTs, which were an anomaly.

The language is only going to be 15-20% different and it should be much easier on the quarterback. There shouldn't be any concerns in that regard.
How can you say that? For it to be an "anomaly" there has to be a follow up period to ensure it is one.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is still scarred by the nightmare he had replacing Aikman. Between the 2001 and 2006, the Cowboys had 10 different starting QBs. Were it not for hiring Parcels in desperation, and Parcels bringing Sean Payton with him, Romo isn't a cowboy and the search would have continued. Jerry is hell bent on making Dak an Aikman-like starting QB whether the shoe fits or not.

NotForLong

Reaction score

blah blah blah . . . You can put makeup on the pig all you want

Repeat after me . . . Dak is not aging like Brady . . . He is descending as we speak

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry is still scarred by the nightmare he had replacing Aikman. Between the 2001 and 2006, the Cowboys had 10 different starting QBs. Were it not for hiring Parcels in desperation, and Parcels bringing Sean Payton with him, Romo isn't a cowboy and the search would have continued. Jerry is hell bent on making Dak an Aikman-like starting QB whether the shoe fits or not.
He shouldn't be that sacred though because he didn't even try to replace Aikman.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He stepped up against the Buccs. Would've rather have had it against the 9ers......
Stepping up against a losing team , dysfunctional OLD QB? ...There's nothing about that team that should have been in the playoffs.

Dak did what he usually does against bad teams. Dak did what he usually does against good teams.

That's not "stepping up" my Dak-fan friend.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? No. If you do something 5 times in a row and then the 6th time fail to do it, the 6th one is still an anomaly.

That can change long-term but it's still an anomaly at this point.
Fair enough. "At this point" is a key qualifier. Totally T.B.D.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this....but if you cut Dak you have around 30 million counting against your cap that's unaccounted for correct?
He's going to cost $25m in 'Dead Cap money' in 2024 if he's restructured or cut as a post June as the money owed is prorated bonus.

There's a myth perpetuated that we MUST EXTEND Dak, that's not true, there is a choice and if he continues to show he's not going to get a Championship win 2024 will be the season to take that hit as it will free up $34m to spend in 2024 (probably in funding extensions) and we can take advantage of a strong QB Draft Class.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Prescott has a no-trade (and no-franchise tag) clause.
He'd have to waive it. But first, the Cowboys would have to find a team that wants him - and Prescott would want to go there.
Highly unlikely scenario.
There are teams that would want Dak. Again you can be troll or live in reality Dak is a top 10 quarterback in the NFL with a clean image off the field.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Fair enough. "At this point" is a key qualifier. Totally T.B.D.
Well, not really.

If a QB doesn't turn the ball over for 6 straight years and then has a bunch in year 7, you don't expect in year 8 he's going to have a bunch of turnovers, especially when so many were so unlucky in year 7. Quarterbacks don't just change their DNA like that.

Dak is probably going to throw 10-12 INTs the rest of his career. But the pace for 20-something is an outlier.