Why do People Keep Saying that we have the Talent?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Martin? Smith? Smith 2.0? Diggs? Bland? Parsons? Lamb?

Those guys are all top 5 at their positions. How many All Pros do we need to win a wild card game?

Yeah, our DTs besides Osa and Hankins suck, and we don't have a real MLB, but those are issues that could be fixed if the FO cared about them.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
We do have talent and we do need some upgrades in certain positions, but this roster should be doing better and accomplishing more with the talent we do have. There have been other "talented" teams that fail, not just in the NFL but other sports, because they play other teams with talent, but play better as a "team". The Cowboys win games on talent, but when they run into another talented team that functions as a team, they fail. There's too many times this team just looks like they are out coached and unprepared.

We can upgrade positions, but they still have to scheme and execute, but will that be enough in this organization? This team is also undisciplined and is routinely among the most penalized in the league and they struggle to execute against stronger competition. This organization, team, players, etc. have a sense of entitlement, there's no hunger or urgency, they're treated as stars even if they haven't proved it on the field, America's Team and all that comes with it.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That's why I've repeatedly asked the question: Were MM/Quinn OK w/ taking a TE in the 2nd, Polly as the starting RB, the LB corps, and the OL. Get that question answered, and you'll have the answer.

Did Quinn play S's at LB's because he wanted to?

Did MM have a good game plan and Dak couldn't execute it?
I think these are all very fair questions. Are DQ/MM getting the groceries they want, or is Jerry forcing these guys to make due with what he picks out?
Think about this, Brandin Cooks has been a 1,000 yd receiver 6 of his 10 years in the league. Why was he ineffective here?
I wouldn't say Cooks has been ineffective as much as the Cowboys offense was completely different the first few weeks of the season to the 2nd half. Cooks started out with games of 22, 17, 27, and 7 yards. That is ineffective. Once the Cowboys got him involved more which really started with that 2nd Giants game he was on pace for roughly 70 catches 900 yards and 10 TDs if he kept up that pace for a full season.
Was Quinn OK w/ Osa as the starter?
This is one that we will just have to disagree on, I think Osa is underrated.
Actually, teams w/ several stars often do exactly what we did, beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams, often badly. The record thingie is just so tiresome when it's obvious we weren't up to the task of playoff football.
And I think that's a very fair argument that this teams biggest issue is their talent is too top heavy and lacks the depth/role players needed to be a complete team. Not sure this is right but I tend to go the other way a little bit and think that the stars and highest paid players on this team is filled with too many one dimensional players....I.E. Parsons is the best pure pass rusher in the league but a liability in the run game at DE. Tony Pollard is clearly not a power runner, OSA more of a pass first player and pretty middle of the pack against the run, DLaw does everything except get to the QB,obviously everyone on the roster at the second level is more coverage focused than run stuffers LVE included, Dak....well I wont turn this into a Dak debate lol
Now, go position by position and explain to me how upgrade are not needed in 9 spots.
Defensively I would honestly be fine running it back with two acquisitions....one at LB, and one at DE. I think you turn Micah back into the hybrid player he was his rookie season and get more snaps at MLB on early downs. If you want to leave Micah at DE then you need two starting caliber LBs instead of a DE. I don't think this DT group is nearly as poor as people think it is. I also think that having legitimate LBs and not converted Safeties is going to help the back end of your defense too so your play from the Kearse/Hooker/Wilson group could get better organically from stronger players in the middle.

Offensively I would really target a C and RB upgrade. It would be nice to find an upgrade at RT, but that doesnt seem realistic given the contract of Steel. I think you need to bank on better health and the coaching staff finding a way to get the best out of him.

Where I think this team could do better is with their depth/rotational guys. Need to either acquire or develop WRs for that #3/4 receiver roles. At DT I would like to see not even upgrades but better run defenders than Gallimore/Golston. I think this was a big issue this year that your rotational guys at DT were pass rush first type of players. You already have that in OSA, you need to find rotational guys who compliment your starters, not do the same thing just a little bit worse.

So overall I see 4 positions, 5 if we count the RT that I really think need to be upgraded. There is a ton of would like to see upgraded, but overall I think the general roster construction is the bigger issue for this team, especially on the defensive side of the football than the actual talent level.

kwcool619

Reaction score
In his prime, Trent Dilfer could win a few more playoff games than the choker with this team. shrugs.
Truth. But in Dilfer's case, he was surrounded by one of the best defenses ever assembled, and a smashmouth offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, what you're saying is, people tend to focus on the players we do have and ignore the positions of weakness? Now that makes sense.
Pretty much. Yes sir. K you are spot on as usual.

When you have a playoff caliber team the hype is built around those talents which get you there , not the lack of talent and weaknesses that are preventing you from more success.

And we often don’t talk about the teams that are in our way and why we get can’t get passed them.

Look at how most are evaluating this game focusing on the talent we have that choked instead of discussing not only how the Packers talent took it to us and how our weaknesses allowed them to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look what happened to the Eagles. I don’t think San Fran is that great either. I definitely think we had enough talent not enough mentality of coaching to win it.
Then you’re ignoring what you’ve witnessed. Or unable to properly access and evaluate it.

We lose to better teams for a reason. Not just a mentality.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s not what they do. They keep trying to build a perfect roster and you can’t. We are sjtting here talking about linebacker and right tackle and our whole team didn’t show up. Oh if we had a better nose tackle we would’ve been better on offense?
No, but if we had a starting RB and a younger and healthier OL might have been better on offense.

And if we had a defense that could stop the run and not give up 7 TD’s on their first 8 possessions , that might have helped the offense too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and yet they were the #2 seed
Which was basically gifted to them with Egirls total collapse and Dumb Dans 2 point obsession.

Cowboys were not playing our best ball down the stretch. And I’d argue the 2 Seed fell into our lap and probably presented a perception this team was better than it was when it hadn’t been playing well.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Then you’re ignoring what you’ve witnessed. Or unable to properly access and evaluate it.

We lose to better teams for a reason. Not just a mentality.
We lose to better teams, because we’re just not that good. I think we overachieve. we can beat any team out there, if we are mentally prepared, I totally believe that you can overcome you’re inabilities with of talent.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
We need 8-9 new players:

3 LBs
2-3 OLs
FS
DT(Maybe 2)
RB

Are people saying this just to say it? I mean, it's blatantly obvious that we do not have the players, what's up w/ claiming that we do?
Well we had more talent than GB. That’s just a classic choke job there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We lose to better teams, because we’re just not that good. I think we overachieve. we can beat any team out there, if we are mentally prepared, I totally believe that you can overcome your inabilities with of talent.
I’m confused by your statement. If we lose to better teams then I’m assuming better teams have better or more talent?

But yet you expect us to mentally overcome better teams ?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas has enough talent to win a playoff game or two but they will never go further without a run defense/offense. They desperately need two good linebackers and two good run stoppers in the middle. They obviously need more than that but it is futile to expect a playoff run without fixing that first.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well we had more talent than GB. That’s just a classic choke job there.
Green Bay could be an up and coming team . The youngest team in the playoffs.

They won their last 6 of 8 games while their QB was second in TD’s.

They attacked and exposed our weaknesses like most of the better teams we faced this season.

Did we play poorly. Yes but how much of what they did impact how we played. Better teams seem to cause us to play poorly.

We weren’t playing our best ball in December. They were. So perhaps the argument can be made at that time they were the better team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas has enough talent to win a playoff game or two but they will never go further without a run defense/offense. They desperately need two good linebackers and two good run stoppers in the middle. They obviously need more than that but it is futile to expect a playoff run without fixing that first.
Yep

Playoff football. Must run the ball and stop the run. We are weak at both.