CFZ Will Dallas Really Run More in 2023? Why?

T-RO

Reaction score
It's a bit of a carnival show when fans here feel they can school the #1 Red Zone Coach in the NFL...on red zone formations and plays.

But please...continue.

:popcorn:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only 6 teams had more rushing attempts per game last season than the Cowboys.

What was you saying about balance again?

Oh, I keep forgetting you Dak fans usually don't look stuff up before you go into defense mode.
Sometimes you just can't look at the raw numbers. If you run the ball into a 8 or 9 man front with 5 blockers, constantly, it will fail. So yeah, run it more than other teams, it failed, but hey it still counts as a run play vs. a pass play.
MM wants to change those runs to be more successful. It is not rocket science.
And it has nothing to do with Dak, but yet you bring that up. It is like a fake equation.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm hoping the empty backfields disappear.
I don't think they will, as at times they may be needed. Hopefully not needed, and you are correct. Because that means they have a lead, and do not need to get into that situation to pass to make a comeback from multiple scores down.

With Moore, he used them at wrong times, and ended up punting with 3 and outs or a killed drive.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Sometimes you just can't look at the raw numbers. If you run the ball into a 8 or 9 man front with 5 blockers, constantly, it will fail. So yeah, run it more than other teams, it failed, but hey it still counts as a run play vs. a pass play.
MM wants to change those runs to be more successful. It is not rocket science.
And it has nothing to do with Dak, but yet you bring that up. It is like a fake equation.
The balance was there. The problem was Zeke and Dak. It might be better with Pollard, but Dak is still playing the most important position in football.

A balanced game plan is a losing game plan when Dak is your QB. If you pass more than you run then we're losing.

MM surely knows this. If he don't then he will rightfully lose his job for it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't care for that either. I could see using it as a deception when first lining up then shifting to at least one back in the backfield with the QB. You can do so much more with this than 5 wide outs and an empty backfield. You can also have at least one body back there to block for you QB in case a block is missed.
I wouldn’t even do it in Madden. I don’t understand the point of tipping the defense off to a pass play.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's a bit of a carnival show when fans here feel they can school the #1 Red Zone Coach in the NFL...on red zone formations and plays.

But please...continue.

:popcorn:
:laugh: They weren’t number one when Rush was out there…..giving a lot of credit to Kellen there……

CCBoy

Reaction score
Would the Cowboys signing of a top shelf runner such as Derrick Henry or Dalvin Cook affect the running scheme much more than a highly priced draft runner?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The balance was there. The problem was Zeke and Dak. It might be better with Pollard, but Dak is still playing the most important position in football.

A balanced game plan is a losing game plan when Dak is your QB. If you pass more than you run then we're losing.

Most QB's lose when passing the ball more. It means they are behind and must throw the ball.
You blindly say that about Dak, but where is the proof. I am sure there are stats out there somewhere for or against. I was trying to look, but no success so far. And for all QB's, not just Dak.
I am not defending Dak or saying you are wrong. However, there are other factors involved most of the time, with any QB.

I did find this though, but is just stats. Dak is 34-31 when throwing the ball more than 30 times.
https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask?q=dak's+record+when+dak+prescott+throws+30+or+more+passes+career

Now how a fan uses this for or against is their own opinion. But it may help support yours somewhat in your opinion. I actually thought it would be better than 34-31. As to my opinion, I don't really have one. Just looking at things differently. I do agree, need more of a balanced game plan to protect Dak from himself. at times.
Have fun.

75boyz

Reaction score

I don't understand why this basic concept eludes some.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Could be something dealing with forged in heat of conflict - and ability to carry the learned discipline and team interactions also...leadership.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Most QB's lose when passing the ball more. It means they are behind and must throw the ball.
You blindly say that about Dak, but where is the proof. I am sure there are stats out there somewhere for or against. I was trying to look, but no success so far. And for all QB's, not just Dak.
I am not defending Dak or saying you are wrong. However, there are other factors involved most of the time, with any QB.

I did find this though, but is just stats. Dak is 34-31 when throwing the ball more than 30 times.
https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask?q=dak's+record+when+dak+prescott+throws+30+or+more+passes+career

Now how a fan uses this for or against is their own opinion. But it may help support yours somewhat in your opinion. I actually thought it would be better than 34-31. As to my opinion, I don't really have one. Just looking at things differently. I do agree, need more of a balanced game plan to protect Dak from himself. at times.
It needs to be like 2016.

Dallas was 30th in the NFL in passing attempts per game and 1st in rushing attempts per game.

13-3 with the #1 seed was the result.

The less Dak the more success. The proof is everywhere and anywhere you look.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
When Dallas was 30th in pass attempts and 1st in rush attempts in 2016 we went 13-3 and had the #1 seed in the playoffs.

If you don't wanna see who the problem is then you're not going to see it.

The less Dak the better. If MM doesn't do then then he will be the next coach to fall victim to Dak.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There is also the abandonment of the run (maybe KM's game plan) and consideration of the Defensive scheme. Two close game come backs, Eagles = victory as the space was evident (wasnt Dak sacked 3 or 4 times in 4th) as opposed to the 9er's game who'll sit back in the secondary and wont even show a pass-rush.

Having a Pollard/ draft pick that has flex to play slot will give us a less predictable show. I suppose a lot of last years problems was our predictability that we'll drop the run game as highlighted with the abandonment of the run (and not mixing in Malik) in the 9ers game, when we were still a score behind.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Dallas was 30th in the NFL in passing attempts per game and 1st in rushing attempts per game.

They are coming off back to back 12 win seasons….. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't disagree at all with this.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't disagree at all with this.
Dominate in short yardage...offense and defense!

But winning just needs more points...and that is team dependent.

Red Zone strengths is still dominant. Dallas is getting better just there, now.