Woodson on Dak’s Cowboys Contract: 'Pay the Man'

Dre11

Reaction score
But, again, still overall regressed from year 1.

Yes, or no?

And do the aforementioned elite QBs that Helman references have the same trend?

Again , moving the post, but to answer yes he hasn't been as good as year 1.
You'd have to ask Helman, although none of them had a year 1 like Dak.

Dre11

Reaction score
I actually agree with this

Most of the time it appears late, low, and behind rather than in his hands

Cooper does a good job adjusting, thankfully

As with the case with a lot of qb. He has his share of accurate passes, just as he has his share of inaccurate passes, just as his WRs have their share of drops, mis-reads,bad routes.

Qcard

Reaction score
Thinking same. I love Woodson and his reputation as a Cowboys player is absolutely top shelf.

But he's not making any sense lately. It's almost as if he's acting like Dak's pseudo agent, rather than an objective media personality.
Very puzzling. He can't possibly believe some of the things he's saying......
What exactly about this statement from Woodson doesn't make sense?

“When he’s on the sideline, they believe in him,” Woodson continued. “I can’t say the same thing about Tony Romo when he was here a few years ago. I can’t say that this team and these players thought, “Ok, well Romo’s going to bail us out,” or “we’re down by fourteen, Romo’s going to do this,” or “we’re up by fourteen, Romo’s not going to turn the ball over.” No, no, no. They didn’t believe. There is something about (Dak) in that locker room that they all rally behind.”

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
What exactly about this statement from Woodson doesn't make sense?

“When he’s on the sideline, they believe in him,” Woodson continued. “I can’t say the same thing about Tony Romo when he was here a few years ago. I can’t say that this team and these players thought, “Ok, well Romo’s going to bail us out,” or “we’re down by fourteen, Romo’s going to do this,” or “we’re up by fourteen, Romo’s not going to turn the ball over.” No, no, no. They didn’t believe. There is something about (Dak) in that locker room that they all rally behind.”

That woodson knows what all the players on the team think. I mean that is an amazing feat, even if you talk to just a few players and they tell you what they think, but he is talking about everybody. And not only that he must've talked to everybody on every one of romo's teams for each year too and know exactly what he thought. Yes it all makes sense, that he knows the thoughts of all those teams.

Qcard

Reaction score
That woodson knows what all the players on the team think. I mean that is an amazing feat, even if you talk to just a few players and they tell you what they think, but he is talking about everybody. And not only that he must've talked to everybody on every one of romo's teams for each year too and know exactly what he thought. Yes it all makes sense, that he knows the thoughts of all those teams.
So in a "sensible" NFL world,comments from commentators with the experience and success of a person like Darren do not make sense unless they've spoken to every team member that fell within the context.

Understood...:facepalm:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
sort a like when nate newton says to not to pay him big bucks. hum how does an offensive lineman know anything about the guy behind him. :facepalm::facepalm:

Qcard

Reaction score
sort a like when nate newton says to not to pay him big bucks. hum how does an offensive lineman know anything about the guy behind him. :facepalm::facepalm:
I agree with Nate Newton..Neither Kirk Cousin nor Dak Prescott deserve a Cousins type deal.
Nate stated there are only 4-5 QBs in NFL whom deserve big pay.
But Woodson also speaks with knowledge of market rate and team chemistry = Pay the Man

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I had a wart when I was in college, between work and school I didn't have time to go to the doctor. So, I went to the shop at work, cut it out with a box blade and the grinded a welding rod until it got red hot and stuck it in the middle of the wound. Burned the hell out of it. It never came back and heeled quite nicely. The wart is Linehans offense, it needs to be cut out and his playbook needs to be burned.

My high school coach will send him a new one.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dak needs to work on not holding the ball so long. He'll get his contract extension but it will be laced with expectations that will get him fired if he doesn't get much better.

jnday

Reaction score
No. Not at all

I said he was living off his rookie year while his numbers dropped

How would pointing out his year 3 numbers are worse than his rookie numbers be a goal post move? It's consistent with my argument

I'm not trying to be mean, but are you legitimately mentally challenged?
I often wonder if the Dak fanatics have mental or emotional problems. I really don’t understand how a slightly below average player can generate such a loyal following considering his lack of talent in so many key areas of his game.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I often wonder if the Dak fanatics have mental or emotional problems. I really don’t understand how a slightly below average player can generate such a loyal following considering his lack of talent in so many key areas of his game.

Dak is an ok QB. He’s far from elite. I think the fans that are frustrated with Dak (myself included) understand we are an elite QB away from a championship. What makes it harder is the fact that we had an elite QB before Dak.

Although Dak becoming elite looks less likely as time goes on, the good news is that it’s not the only path to our next title. A return to dominance by our line can provide similar return. Hopefully Tyron and Fred can come back strong next season and the line can re-emerge.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A bad QB can make a whole system look worse, along with everyone around him.

When Dak was a rookie, he had the best O-line he could ask for, and Zeke, Witten, and Dez. Plus, opposing defenses knew very little about him in the first half of the season. Saying he had a "better Oline ONLY" is intentionally understating his situation.

Dak in 2016 played incredible. Dak, Zeke, Scheme, Coaching have all remained the same. The two things that have changed the year has been the pass catchers (downgrade) Oline (lineman/TE blocking)

Now all of a sudden the offense stinks and the sacks and pressure is way up.

Doesnt take a genius to see who is at fault for the downturn. The two things that have been downgraded.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lets not make a mistake here, he did well as a rookie because he was an unknown and teams played the full field against him versus 2/3 of the field as they do now. The Dak crowd likes to bring up the rookie season over and over again, and then pretend that the reality changed once defensive coordinators got footage on Dak and started stacking the box against zeek since they don't respect his deep game. Cooper has help a lot in this regard, but defenses are still playing to stop the run, and do you blame them given the passing chart that Dak had this last game where only three passes were completed above 15 yards?

Being an unknown was only a small part of it. He also played great the first 8 games of 2017. So your theory takes a hit there. ALL the problems started when Zeke and Smith went out. The Oline started breaking down. ACtually started when Free and Leary left. Then you go into 2017 and TE's and pass catchers turn over along with more Oline degradation.

And yes, Cooper has helped a lot. Which is what many of us Dak guys told guys like you. That he needed better pass catcher. Looks what happened when they added noe.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak in 2016 played incredible. Dak, Zeke, Scheme, Coaching have all remained the same. The two things that have changed the year has been the pass catchers (downgrade) Oline (lineman/TE blocking)

Now all of a sudden the offense stinks and the sacks and pressure is way up.

Doesnt take a genius to see who is at fault for the downturn. The two things that have been downgraded.
Even in 2016, he crumbled when defenses blitzed him and pressured him, as the Giants did.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Part of that is on the OL. No Fred and a Rookie started at LG until Su'a Filo came in and helped shore things has been a big factor. I do think the OL is better than it was last season.

But let's be clear, Dak has a lot of work to do. However, I don't think he has had the benefit of good coaching or even the proper type of offense to help him succeed.

Jeez, the play-calling doesn't even stick with what makes them a success, Zeke.

No way is the line better than last year. Sacks, penalties and pressures can tell you that. People also forget how important the TE's are in blocking for our scheme. Even bigger downgrade there.

Dak was a running QB in college. Those types always have more to work on to become pocket passers.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Even in 2016, he crumbled when defenses blitzed him and pressured him, as the Giants did.

You mean his first start of his career?

What this horrid blocking has done is expose Daks flaws. Pocket presence and WR route anticipation. However, you cannot deny how great he played when he had a good Oline in front of him. The goal for the offense should be to sure that up.

Mahonnes isnt a reality. A top 5 QB is a pipe dream. Need to take what you have and make him the best he can be. That hasnt been done here in Dallas.