Woodson on Dak’s Cowboys Contract: 'Pay the Man'

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo friendly meant "stop giving him turnstiles for OL".

Dak friendly means "give him the best RB and defense possible", then praise him for his "it" factor.
I can't give him the RB as it has been stated for going on 3 years he was drafted for Romo.

Either way to generalize it as crafting an offense to suit their skills would probably work. That covers warts. It's not Dak's or "gulp" necessarily Garrett's fault Linehan was given a lot of what he wanted last off-season. I think most would agree that was a mistake.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I never heard anyone say, let alone Jerry say he's going to be paid like a franchise qb, what ever that means, Jerry said he will be extended, that's all he said.
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article203454764.html

HEre are some of the key takeaway quotes from this article:

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott is going to get paid.

That’s the word from owner Jerry Jones.

It will happen sometime in the next two years. And given the $137 million contract recently given to San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garappolo and the expected deals of more than $30 million a year for free agent Kirk Cousins and Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, Jones understands has no choice but to pay Prescott top dollar.

*AND*

“We need to take advantage of structuring and putting this team together at the contract level that we’ve got right here,” Jones said. “He’s going to get his extraordinary contract. But while we can put the team together and take advantage when he is on this contract right now, we’ve got to be real astute to maximize that advantage.

*AND*

That’s certainly what the offensive changes during the off-season have been about _ to make the offense more “Dak-friendly”, per Jones.

Jones said the Cowboys would like to use Prescott’s legs as a weapon a little more. He doesn’t mean more running back, but rather using more of the college style plays that allow him to run and pass.

"Some of the college stuff needs to be thought about here. That's a big part of the conversation that's going on [among the staff]."

How comforting to know that the owner of the team has already decided that Dak is going to get an "extraordinary" contract. And that to help him get that contract, the mission is to basically turn the Cowboys into a glorified college style offensive team.

Good grief. I honestly don't know what else to say, other than good grief. I'm halfway between laughter and tears. I'm a Cowboys fan until I die but these days, I often wonder if it's even worth it. When I see the figure head on our team talking about installing a college style offense and paying a guy that is the leader on the 24th ranked passing attack in the league, I die a little inside.

Dre11

Reaction score
You said it yourself. Round doesn't matter any more. Thank you for agreeing with me.

It doesn't when you're talking about the amount of money a starter is going to make, it does matter in the development process, because it's obvious you're believed to have more issues than a guy who's drafted in the 1st, who's supposed to be more ready. Don't be naive

BoysForLife

Reaction score
It’s called market value. Whoever you replace Dak with will be of the same pay scale or caliber unless you believe in Rush or Mike White.

Or--and stay with me here--might be of the same pay scale, but perhaps more talented than any of Dak, Rush, or White? Why on earth would we limit ourselves to those 3 options?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Troy would get rid of the ball. Dak holds it forever. Every play is not a jail break.

This offensive line has produced the top running back in football. Again. Dak should be tearing it up.
Please. Don’t give Zeke’s dominance on the league to this offensive line. That’s embarrassing......you can say that for Demarco Murray in 2014 but not 2018 Zeke.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

“You’ve got to pay the man. I’m not a Dak apologist, because I don’t think he’s accurate enough with the football. I wish he could play four quarters of error-free football, but you’re not going to get that with Dak Prescott. You’re not. But what you are going to get is a leader of men. You’re going to get a guy who this (Cowboys) team firmly believes in.

When he’s on the sideline, they believe in him. I can’t say the same thing about Tony Romo when he was here a few years ago. I can’t say that this team and these players thought, “Ok, well Romo’s going to bail us out,” or “we’re down by fourteen, Romo’s going to do this,” or “we’re up by fourteen, Romo’s not going to turn the ball over.” No, no, no. They didn’t believe. There is something about (Dak) in that locker room that they all rally behind.

He has that “it” factor about him. And that’s the reason why Jerry is going to pay him. Jerry (Jones) understands who this guy is. Yeah, he has a lot of warts. But because of his confidence, because of his competitiveness, we’re going to be able to cover up those warts at some point and he’s going to be a championship quarterback.”

I believe at some point, Dak Prescott will be a championship quarterback because he has the intangibles to do so.”

- Darren Woodson, December 2018.

Is it safe assuming Woodson, like some others, were so fully engrossed in the historic rookie quarterback season of 2016, that he crossed his fingers and hoped for the best that a rookie quarterback led team might accomplish what had never been done previously in the history of a very VERY old league--namely, win a championship?

Woodson's current commentary:

• Not accurate enough
  • Will not receive four quarters of error-free football (note: that never happens with any quarterback anyway)
  • Does have full confidence of the team
  • Lots of warts (sure he can specify them himself)
  • Warts will be 'covered up' sometime in the future
That is what Woodson is saying now, correct? Two years after the team had a PRETTY good opportunity at a Super Bowl run, yes? Wonder what was going through his mind two years ago?

lol. 2016. sigh.

/mini-rant. I do agree with him mostly about the reason why Jones will pay Prescott though. It is a shame that particular contract will likely blow the socks off some folks having major acceptance issues with it in the here-and-now.

Economics.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Right. Has the game slowed down for Mariota? Winston? Carr? There are things Dak needs to work on......but all young qbs have them.

So would you be pleased if the Cowboys went out and signed Mariota, Winston, or Carr for around $20-25 million a year?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Come on man, Haven't you heard the players and coaches talking about his demeanor? Even Troy Aikman said there was something magnificent about his presence. I'm not going to hate on Romo, but he allientated many members of the teams he was on. Just look at his bromance with witten.

Evidence? Other than TO (who flamed out in every locker room he ever stepped in), who did Romo "alienate"?

Dre11

Reaction score

It will happen sometime in the next two years. And given the $137 million contract recently given to San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garappolo and the expected deals of more than $30 million a year for free agent Kirk Cousins and Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, Jones understands has no choice but to pay Prescott top dollar.

*AND*

“We need to take advantage of structuring and putting this team together at the contract level that we’ve got right here,” Jones said. “He’s going to get his extraordinary contract. But while we can put the team together and take advantage when he is on this contract right now, we’ve got to be real astute to maximize that advantage.

*AND*

That’s certainly what the offensive changes during the off-season have been about _ to make the offense more “Dak-friendly”, per Jones.

Jones said the Cowboys would like to use Prescott’s legs as a weapon a little more. He doesn’t mean more running back, but rather using more of the college style plays that allow him to run and pass.

"Some of the college stuff needs to be thought about here. That's a big part of the conversation that's going on [among the staff]."

How comforting to know that the owner of the team has already decided that Dak is going to get an "extraordinary" contract. And that to help him get that contract, the mission is to basically turn the Cowboys into a glorified college style offensive team.

Good grief. I honestly don't know what else to say, other than good grief. I'm halfway between laughter and tears. I'm a Cowboys fan until I die but these days, I often wonder if it's even worth it. When I see the figure head on our team talking about installing a college style offense and paying a guy that is the leader on the 24th ranked passing attack in the league, I die a little inside.

So where did it say he's going to be paid some huge dollar amount? I see a bunch of guessing and tempted tea leave readings.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

This isn't the time to be eating popcorn and enjoying the banter because it's meaningless.

Woodson has said this in the past, but always with the caveat of giving him a contract that doesn't hamper the team's ability to keep and sign other key players.

This seems all fine except that Dak's agent (CAA) will be asking for a max contract because they feel there are other teams out ther who would pay that. No way is Jerry giving him a max contract.

It's at that point in the negotiations when CAA wants 28-30 per and Jerry is offering 18-20-per that you should starting eating your popcorn.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Who are you referring to?

Take your pick. There are going to be a lot of FA QB's on the market this year.

The easy one is Foles. Unless they make a deep run this year, he's probably out in Philly.
I'd rather pay him 3-4 years of the type of money people are talking about for Dak.

Reaction score

*AND*

*AND*

There is a difference between running a college style offense and using college style concepts.

All the high powered offense you see: KC, Rams, Saints, Philly (especially with Foles) are using many college style concepts without running full blown college style offenses. That's what the Cowboys should be looking into.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
So where did it say he's going to be paid some huge dollar amount? I see a bunch of guessing and tempted tea leave readings.

Did you read the article?

Or just the sample of quotes I posted?

The article specifically mentions the top salary ranges of guys like Garappolo etc in the $140 million range and says based on that, Jones "understands" that he has no choice but to pay Dak top dollar.

If Top Dollar is $30 million a year, and Jones understands he has to pay Dak and "extraordinary" top dollar contract, then that isn't tea leaves.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Take your pick. There are going to be a lot of FA QB's on the market this year.

The easy one is Foles. Unless they make a deep run this year, he's probably out in Philly.
I'd rather pay him 3-4 years of the type of money people are talking about for Dak.
Nick Foles....Jesus. And this is my point about you guys. Everyone wants to replace everyone and when you ask them with who you bring up a guy who’s only been able to play in Andy Reid or Peterson’s system aside from a fluke Chip Kelly year.

If you have faith in this playbook and coaching staff to get the best out of Foles then go ahead. But even Peterson struggles most games this season.”Your trash is better than mine”.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We are about to overpay for someone of their caliber. That's the issue.
And you are going to overpay regardless. Fact is....teams don’t get rid of great quarterbacks. Just doesn’t happen. Titans will overpay for Mariotta and Bucs will for Winston. Derek Carr has already been overpaid. You see the trend here?