WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109960 said:
I'd have to see numbers that showed that, I can't take your word for it. If you could show me them, I'd sure be interested.

I'd check that again. He didn't start at all in 2007 despite leading the team in receiving for 2006.

he doesn't have the numbers he is just kind of making it up as he goes along.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109954 said:
They did?

According to NFL.com, despite leading the team in receiving for 2006, he didn't get to start a single game in '07.

Doesn't scream "opportunity" to me.

What it screams, is He lost his job. You don't go from leading the team in receiving one year, to being not played multiple times during the season, because whatever reason you guys wanna find.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109955 said:
Stanback by all accounts puts in teh work that Matt jones never has to be a success. He is a hard worker and plays ST.

So that heresay is gospel then?

The only fact I see is the part about special teams.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109957 said:
Youre right he lost his starting job to Dennis Northcutt in training camp.

Thats just sad.

Not as sad as being in the middle of a debate without knowing your facts.....

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999;2109965 said:
What it screams, is He lost his job. You don't go from leading the team in receiving one year, to being not played multiple times during the season, because whatever reason you guys wanna find.

it's not as if he was the flat out starter all year round he started 4 games and kept going from #3 to #2.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2109961 said:
Matt Jones was a QB in college and is making the transition. He has done better than some WR drafted in the same year and ahead of him. I don't understand. Everyone knows that the WR position is the hardest one to transition to in the NFL. Maybe the set the bar to high of expectations however I think he can/will come into his own this season.

Based on what?

What has he shown?

Nothing. Nothing at all, he has yet to even start for more than 5 games in a season, and has only played in all 16 once in the three years he's played. But because what? He what? lead his team in recieving with 632 yards he's the perfect fit here? Because what he grabbed a career high 5 TD's his rookie year? Or maybe its the 4 TD's that he's grabbed the last two years that make it so great. WHat about the large amount of catches, oh thats right, the 41 he's got in 2006 really shows me his greatness.

Please, Matt Jones was overrated in the draft, he was reached on in the draft, and now that the Jags realized it, you wanna pick him up, because he what? Needs a change of scenery? Please. Change of scenery only helps when you have a desire to play and win. Not when you think you can do everything based on "talent"

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2109974 said:
it's not as if he was the flat out starter all year round he started 4 games and kept going from #3 to #2.

Which makes he case for even making our team harder.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;2109958 said:
My fingers don't need to be crossed, he plays he plays. If he doesn't it aint like we did bad without him

No, actually we did worse with him.

And keep your toes crossed that nothing happens to Owens, because if that happens this team is done. The one game Owens missed last season, nobody stepped up at receiver.

dargonking999 said:
and i'll take the younger, and more athletic guy in Stanback over a a 4 year pro who can't crack the Jags lineup

Yeah, Stanback is 23 and Jones is an over-the-hill 25. And again, look it up if you don't know who's more "athletic" Now tell me about one guy having "upside" while the other doesn't.

dargonking999 said:
I will, why? i was here in 2006, and the only thing that has changed is time.

Jones' numbers were significantly better in 2006, he led the team in receiving in fact, when he actually got to play. They would make a comparison to our 3 receivers look worse, not better.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DaBoys4Life;2109974 said:

:laugh2: :laugh2:

But, but, but...I thought he was the a legit receiver!! He was not the flat out starter, yet, you want this guy to be a Cowboy!

:eek: :confused:

That hole is getting deeper and deeper...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;2109953 said:
Game logs make it worse, the one game he played alot in, they lost badly. Most of the season he was a no show, including a no play a different points in the season. Again, if the recievers in the ville are so bad, why would the purposly bench a guy who is so great? Because he digressed, because he is not a NFL WR. He is a athlete who got drafted, because he was tall, fast, and made spectacular catches in college.

"Spectacular catches in college"?

Do you even know the player we're discussing here?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
dargonking999;2109975 said:
Based on what?

What has he shown?

Nothing. Nothing at all, he has yet to even start for more than 5 games in a season, and has only played in all 16 once in the three years he's played. But because what? He what? lead his team in recieving with 632 yards he's the perfect fit here? Because what he grabbed a career high 5 TD's his rookie year? Or maybe its the 4 TD's that he's grabbed the last two years that make it so great. WHat about the large amount of catches, oh thats right, the 41 he's got in 2006 really shows me his greatness.

Please, Matt Jones was overrated in the draft, he was reached on in the draft, and now that the Jags realized it, you wanna pick him up, because he what? Needs a change of scenery? Please. Change of scenery only helps when you have a desire to play and win. Not when you think you can do everything based on "talent"

No! Not a change of scenery! It's the scheme, bro! The scheme!

:laugh2:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999;2109975 said:
Based on what?

What has he shown?

He has one less TD than Crayton in one less year He is bigger and faster this guy YPC is higher than Craytons for his career.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
MATT JONES: AN ANALYSIS

By The Times-Union

THE NUMBERS

sponsored links
Ads by Yahoo!

Matt Jones' pass-to-completion ratio might not be befitting of a first-round draft pick, but the truth is that he makes plays 52.1 percent of the time when the ball is thrown his way.

The Jaguars have targeted Jones in the passing game on 165 plays in three seasons. Of those plays, Jones has come down with the ball 86 times.

The problem this season, it seems, is that the Jaguars haven't targeted Jones enough. The team has thrown Jones' direction on 20 plays this season, and he has made the catch nine times (45 percent). Compare that to last season, when Jones caught 41 of the 76 balls (53.9 percent) thrown his way, or his rookie season, when he caught 36 of 69 passes (52.2 percent) thrown to him.

Jones has averaged 13.5 yards per catch in his three seasons and has 20 plays of longer than 20 yards. Interestingly, Jones' statistics are comparable to those of Reggie Williams and Ernest Wilford.

In 57 games apiece, Wilford and Williams have 117 and 135 catches, respectively (Jones has 86, despite playing in 21 fewer games) for 1,722 and 1,651 yards (Jones has 1,157). Wilford and Williams average 14.7 and 12.2 yards, respectively, per reception. Wilford has 28 plays of longer than 20 yards, Williams 21.

"My rookie year, I didn't have a clue of what I was doing out there," Jones said. "I was learning a lot, learning on the run. Last year, I thought I had gotten better, but nagging injuries held me back a lot. This year, I think I've also gotten better compared to my first two years here."

THE PROBLEMS

Unlike Wilford and Williams, Jones doesn't possess that extra element that makes onlookers forget about his shortcomings as a pure receiver.

Williams lays bone-crushing blocks. Coaches laud Wilford's work ethic. Jones is just ... Jones, synonymous with talk of being too soft, not passionate enough and too inconsistent at catching even routine balls.

"He's exactly what he was in college," said an AFC East personnel-department member, who asked not to be identified because of NFL rules concerning comments about players on other teams. "He didn't really like football in college. He liked it, but didn't love it. He came to the [NFL] combine [in 2004] saying he wanted to do other things, like play basketball or start a band. His mind was on everything other than football. He made a lot of big plays at the Senior Bowl like there was nothing to it. You can't deny his physical talent, but the mental talent isn't there. He never wanted to be a great football player."

Reluctant to publicly bash players, Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio even joined in the criticism in September by expressing concern about Jones' lackadaisical body language. The incident was the latest in a laundry list of disappointing moments that include:

-The tackle that Jones didn't appear to attempt on a Tennessee Titans fumble return last season.

-The two passes he dropped, resulting in two interceptions against the Houston Texans earlier that season.

-His track record of dropped passes and one-armed attempts at catches (especially in traffic), to go with a penchant for shying away from contact.

Some inside the Jaguars' organization have privately said that earlier this season, a group of players marched into Del Rio's office after a game to complain about Jones' lack of effort.

Del Rio and vice president of player personnel Shack Harris didn't return calls seeking comment.

THE FUTURE

Jones definitely hasn't secured a future beyond this season in Jacksonville. The team appears to be losing patience with his slow development. Of the three games in which Jones has been inactive - against Denver, Indianapolis and Tennessee - Del Rio provided a clear-cut explanation for just one of them.

Del Rio said the Jaguars needed nine active defensive linemen for the Oct. 22 loss to the Colts. Of Jones' inactivity for the Sept. 23 game at Denver, Del Rio offered no explanation other than to say: "My thoughts are that first and foremost, my responsibility is to make decisions based on what I think is best for this football team." Del Rio was never asked about Jones' inactivity for the Nov. 11 game at Tennessee.

Further jeopardizing Jones' status with the Jaguars is the presence of talented youngsters such as rookies John Broussard and Mike Walker (injured reserve) and second-year pro Charles Sharon. During training camp, Sharon and Walker were listed above Jones on the depth chart.

Jones is scheduled to earn base salaries of $575,000 in 2007 and $625,000 in 2008, but his production might not merit the pay, especially when considering that he - like Williams - is a former first-round draft pick.

Still, Jones insists that he wants to stay in Jacksonville.

"I love Jacksonville. I love the guys here and the talent on this team - the selfless attitude of everybody," Jones said. "We'll see how it goes. You just have to keep a good attitude. You have to keep your head up and move on [if things don't work out]."

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/112507/jag_220299770.shtml

The more I read the less I like.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;2109965 said:

What reason would there be?

Why shouldn't you start the guy who led your team in receiving the previous year?

Oh yeah, "because he just sucks, that's why!"

I mean if someone could give me a reason for that, they'd have a point.

But it makes no sense to me.

I can see why the guy would get pissed off.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
How can you compare Matt Jones to Alvin Harper? Harper was never intended to be the primary target of our offense. We had Irvin, Novacek, Emmitt and Moose in our offense. Harper did exactly what he was told to do on the field, run his routes, block and make the tough catches when they called on him. He never demonstrated a poor attitude in practice or in games. He was a team player and worked his tail off. Jimmy would not have put up with him if he was otherwise, and Del Rio was on those teams, he should know.

Del Rio is no fool, and to blame him for Jones' problems is stupid. If Del Rio saw that Jones could be a productive player, regardless of his attitude, he would play him. But Del Rio knows Jones is what he is, and does nothing to improve. Just like Jimmy put up with Irvin and his shenanigans, and Parcells put up with Taylor, Del Rio would put up with Jones, if he was a player.

I just don't get the change of scenery thing......Jax drafted him in the first round and paid him some pretty decent money, yet he won't work hard to earn it, but if we bring him in and pay him the minimum he will all of sudden change.......Makes prefect sense.

I'm sure Dallas has done it's due dilligence on Jones. They have Campo in staff now, who coached at Jax, and should have some good info on Jones. If they see something they may bring him in, but I seriously doubt they will.

We'll see.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Stars;2109985 said:
No! Not a change of scenery! It's the scheme, bro! The scheme!

What receiver has done well in Jacksonville recently?

Where's the 1,000 yard receiver?

Where's the Pro Bowler?

Why are the signing and trading for their next 'answer'?

Go ahead.

I'll wait.

Keep laughing.

:rolleyes: